The worst players in recent club history

Ishmael

I reckon luque was a bit more unlucky than anything. He wasnt the same player after that injury he had agasint fulham I think? I remember his first game against man utd when he had a goal ruled out for offside, played brilliant.

Lamine Diatta - Remember him? Played a combined 11 minutes or something like that. The season before we got relegated wasn't it? What a waste of wages that was for a 6 month deal. Could never be considered one of the worst players to play for us, as he didn't play. But such a stupid waste of wages.

Can we all just agree that it's a toss-up between Smith and Lovenkrands?

:nope:

WHY NOT?

Because it's quite clearly Alan Smith.

Lovenkrands was more than competent (quite important, even) in the CCC. Smith was out of his depth in that league.

Lovenkrands was also a free transfer and is almost certainly on very low wages given his situation when we picked him up (same as Kuqi). Whereas Smith cost us £6m and is a high earner who we haven't been able to do anything with other than handsomely reward for sitting on our bench for the entire duration of his contract.

I'd also add that whilst Lovenkrands either hides or misses sitters, Smith in midfield either hides or actually helps the opposition out. He probably has more than 10 assists during his time here, and by that I mean 10 goals he's set up for the opposition through either a misplaced pass, dogshit clearance or utterly daft and needless foul in a ridiculous area.

On top of this, Smith has to be the worst striker we've had in modern times up front for us. I can't recall ever seeing a striker looking less likely to score a goal against the opposition than our own goalkeeper. There were times when he played up front for us (bad times they were) where he refused to shoot even though that was the only option.

Smith wins by a country mile.

I'd also add that whilst Lovenkrands either hides or misses sitters, Smith in midfield either hides or actually helps the opposition out. He probably has more than 10 assists during his time here, and by that I mean 10 goals he's set up for the opposition through either a misplaced pass, dogshit clearance or utterly daft and needless foul in a ridiculous area.

On top of this, Smith has to be the worst striker we've had in modern times up front for us. I can't recall ever seeing a striker looking less likely to score a goal against the opposition than our own goalkeeper. There were times when he played up front for us (bad times they were) where he refused to shoot even though that was the only option.

Wrong. Smith played well in Championship, and he was instrumental in rebuilding the player group. Our worst player must "ideally" cost a fortune and be utter rubbish on the pitch.

Wrong. Smith played well in Championship, and he was instrumental in rebuilding the player group. Our worst player must "ideally" cost a fortune and be utter rubbish on the pitch.

6m for a player who may or as I believe may not have been good in the championship is pretty dire if you ask me. Btw 'instrumental in rebuilding the player group?' bit romanticised isn't it? He's Alan Smith ffs not Henry V

Smith played well in about the first 3 or 4 games in the Championship, then after that he was shown up for the footballing fraud that he is.

One of the biggest myths in football is that Smith is a hard worker, all does is stand on the toes of the centre half and getting in their way. Then as soon as he receives the ball he passes it backwards or sideways.

The only thing that he's good for is winning headers when the opposition takes a goal kick.

It's no coincidence that as soon as he was out of the team last year that we really kicked on, that and the signing of Routledge.

Marc e fucking lino or Cacapa.

Former for his high wages, shit attitude, injuries and generally taking the piss out of the club....Cacapa for just being too old and too shit for us.

There's probably worse in our past, such as Matty 'he's fat, he's shit, he plays when no ones fit' Patterson and the likes of Alan 'Yellow Card' Smith, to name but a few.