Finances 09/10 - 'Our vision for the club is to finish 10th or above every year'

quayside

The club is also likely to launch its own television channel along the same lines as Liverpool TV, which will be part of the Freeview and Sky package and paid for through advertising

Where's that quote from?

If they show reserve matches on it that would be class!

I hope this happens.

Whilst a television channel would be brilliant, I can't ever see it happening.

The demand just isn't there and because of that, the money made from advertising and subscriptions/whatever they chose to do wouldn't cover the costs of running the channel.

It's fine for Manchester United and Real Madrid, but I've heard Liverpool struggle as did the Boro when they had one and it being the reason why a channel under NTL didn't come off back under Bobby.

Well that and the fact that Murdoch wasn't able to buy Man Utd so NTL pulled the plug on all their potential club purchases (they had shares in us, Villa & a couple of other clubs but I believe that we were the preferred choice).

Quayside - you can hardly blame people for being suspicious of Ashley's motives towards this club given how he's ran it for the last 4 years?! Sure - things may well be looking up financially now but it's what he does next that is going to be the big question. Is he going to be merely content with PL survival whilst he asset strips the club to claw back the cash he is owed, or will he show a bit of ambition to push us onwards and upwards? The jury is still very much 'out' and will be for some time yet.

I've been meaning to stick this on here for some time but now is as good a time as any.

It is about the "Ashley lover" thing that gets thrown at anyone who doesn't automatically reject anything and everything that the current regime do.  I think everyone and I do mean everyone on here is quite aware of the sheer idiocy of decisions made over the past 3 years or so. There has been a palpable lack of honesty at times as well. But it seems to some that anyone who might even consider the economic and financial realities of our situation (some will, and indeed should, stop reading there) is branded an "Ashley lover". The football consequences of the crap decisions have been obvious and the financial consequences are there for anyone that wants to look. The theory seems to be that anyone who meets the assumed definition of an "Ashley lover" is quite content to sit back and watch mid table mediocrity  (at best), Ashley crapping all over the club, taking the p*ss out of the fans,  as long as the finances work etc etc.

I just want to say it is utter bollox. That is all. 

Quayside - you can hardly blame people for being suspicious of Ashley's motives towards this club given how he's ran it for the last 4 years?! Sure - things may well be looking up financially now but it's what he does next that is going to be the big question. Is he going to be merely content with PL survival whilst he asset strips the club to claw back the cash he is owed, or will he show a bit of ambition to push us onwards and upwards? The jury is still very much 'out' and will be for some time yet.

Unless your response is to a previous post, I don't really see what relevance your post has to his.

I like quaysides post.

Can you provide any evidence of this?

Is selling the likes of Milner, N'Zogbia and Carroll at hefty fees without replacing them not an example of asset stripping? Of course that doesn't mean the money goes directly to Ashley but the effect on the team is exactly the same. Weakening us on the pitch in favour of cash in the bank, that's the way I read his post.

Not that I endorse Big Geordie's position (in fact I liked quayside's post on the previous page), but BG is posing the question rather than saying that is what Ashley plans to do.

I agree that "asset strip" is a phrase the haters use to freely - if you want to talk about ripping money out of the club, let's get Merlin in to talk about the dividends Shepherd payed himself even when the club was losing money...

If, in years to come, we post profits through selling players and replacing them with shite, and Ashley takes those profits, THEN he is asset stripping...

Is selling the likes of Milner, N'Zogbia and Carroll at hefty fees without replacing them not an example of asset stripping? Of course that doesn't mean the money goes directly to Ashley but the effect on the team is exactly the same. Weakening us on the pitch in favour of cash in the bank, that's the way I read his post.

Weakening us on the pitch for the financial benefit of the club is not asset stripping, no. The money is still in the business.

If people mean that then fair enough, Ashley 'asset stripping to claw back the cash' definitely doesn't sound like that to me.

I think what annoys people about the current situation is that the debt (and correct if I am wrong - and I am sure some smug get will), this debt is largely the result of Ashley's buffoonary. If he had done due dillegence when buying the club he would have realised the club was worth half what he paid, so immediately we are £100m in debt to Ashley (on top of the money he paid for the club) and he will hold on to the club till such time he can recoup the majority of that debt. The reality is that in 2007 this club had c. £100m debt but post takeover that debt was c. £230m given the price he purchased the club at on top. That debt has clearly climbed as a result of club mismangement (in part down to the previous regime) and in part down to the current regime through relegation. But am I supposed to be grateful to a man who has done nothing more than protect his bad investment from going bust? That is not to say I am blind to give credit to the model being put in place at the moment with regards to the wage bill, but I must say I am struggling to be wholly appreciative of Mike Ashley.

Weakening us on the pitch for the financial benefit of the club is not asset stripping, no. The money is still in the business.

If people mean that then fair enough, Ashley 'asset stripping to claw back the cash' definitely doesn't sound like that to me.

Well the club is in debt to Ashley, by a huge amount. If a proportion of the £35m goes to reduce this debt then is that not 'clawing back the cash' instead of strengthening the team?

Can you provide evidence against it? If anything, we've seen more 'evidence' of what Big Geordie is suggesting.

Anyway, it's just his opinion man. Do you want to live in a world where everything you say has to be supported by evidence?

Well the club is in debt to Ashley, by a huge amount. If a proportion of the £35m goes to reduce this debt then is that not 'clawing back the cash' instead of strengthening the team?

Well it's not asset stripping, but if you want to talk about it in those specific terms then I suppose Mike Ashley does benefit.

If that's always negative then fair enough, but I would go back to the issue of a football club not being able to take football decisions in a vacuum isolated from finance. Is it so bad that we pay back our major creditor?

Can you provide evidence against it? If anything, we've seen more 'evidence' of what Big Geordie is suggesting.

Anyway, it's just his opinion man. Do you want to live in a world where everything you say has to be supported by evidence?

:lol:

That's gold!

Yeah, so funny. It's impossible to back everything with evidence.

If that's the way you live you life then fair play, it must be a boring one.

nah i totally and utterly agree as it happens, it just reads funny first off

ronaldo's "barton playing best football of his career" jive is a case in point, he can't prove it and i can't prove i think he played his best stuff in his city breakout years

and also it's the internetz talking to loads of strangers, i've never understood the lengths people go to to prove themselves cleverer than anyone else, say what you think and move on

if i want to write a dissertation i'll go back to uni

Well it's not asset stripping, but if you want to talk about it in those specific terms then I suppose Mike Ashley does benefit.

If that's always negative then fair enough, but I would go back to the issue of a football club not being able to take football decisions in a vacuum isolated from finance. Is it so bad that we pay back our major creditor?

I never said it would be a bad thing from a financial perspective and neither did Big Geordie. What it does affect is our ambitions on the pitch, which I believe was the point of his post. Do we just tread water in order to cash in on every good player we find so that we can simply pay the debt off steadily, or do we try and push on, qualify for Europe and try to win things at the same time? That's the question being posed and what we don't know. I can remember when progress on the pitch was what every fan was most bothered about.

Well obviously it affects our ambitions on the pitch if we can't afford to spend as much money, that's so obvious that it hardly merits discussion.

I was responding to the asset stripping point, which I maintain clearly isn't happening.

I can remember when all we had to worry about was results on the pitch as well... that was before we realised what financial shit we'd got ourselves into. I wish I could just pretend that what happens on the pitch is everything, but now we know to much for that.

On your trying to qualify for Europe point, haven't the club just said that's exactly what they are doing?

Well obviously it affects our ambitions on the pitch if we can't afford to spend as much money, that's so obvious that it hardly merits discussion.

I was responding to the asset stripping point, which I maintain clearly isn't happening.

I can remember when all we had to worry about was results on the pitch as well... that was before we realised what financial shit we'd got ourselves into. I wish I could just pretend that what happens on the pitch is everything, but now we know to much for that.

On your trying to qualify for Europe point, haven't the club just said that's exactly what they are doing?

Those players were already at the club, no additional spending was required. If you think we'll successfully chase Europe by selling our best players and not replacing them then fair enough but I disagree.

Unless we're about to 'disappear from the face of the earth' (like all those other Premier League clubs have) then I still don't give much of a shit about the finances of the club, just like I don't care which of our players is paid £x per week. I support the team that comes out onto the pitch on a match day, and I don't like to see that team weakened because I believe it reduces our chances of winning. Simple as that.