Finances 09/10 - 'Our vision for the club is to finish 10th or above every year'

quayside

Stability: sacking your manager who's doing alright and selling your best striker, causing fans and players alike to question the club's direction. O0

And another four/five year plan? :lol:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-owner-Mike-Ashley-has-spent-a-staggering-285-8million-on-the-club-so-far-it-can-be-revealed-today-article718115.html

Newcastle 'have cost Ashley £285.8m so far'

Published 23:00 29/03/11 By Simon Bird

Mike Ashley has spent a staggering £285.8million on Newcastle United it can be revealed today - and he wants the Geordies to start challenging for Europe and to "always be in the top 10 of the Premier League".

Newcastle issued financial records detailing how they survived being relegated, and their plans for the future, yesterday. In an amazing turnaround, the club will break even this season - even without the £35m Andy Carroll windfall.

Cost-cutting measures at the club have even included switching off lights and escalators at St James' Park, which has helped save £250k a year, with that cash being ploughed back in to pay for under-soil heating at the training ground. Even the training ground's £40k water bill is being cut thanks to a new bore-hole.

MD Derek Llambias brought good news for fans as he announced an improved financial situation which has seen the wage bill slashed from £71m to £47m.

However, the club are still going to revisit the controversial issue of raising millions by selling naming rights to St James' Park to a major corporation.

A chunk of the Carroll fee, which manager Alan Pardew was promised for his transfer fund, has already been spent on the cost of Cheik Tiote's new six-year deal. But cash raised from player departures this summer WILL be added to Pardew's spending pot.

Ashley had to plough another £42m in loans into Newcastle to keep it afloat and in shape for their successful Championship promotion challenge last season.

The amazing financial drain that Newcastle had become for Ashley will be shown in club accounts published today up to June 2010 - the season United spent in the Championship.

Ashley, spent £133m buying Newcastle and since then has pumped in £152.8m in interest-free loans from his estimated £1billion personal fortune.

After relegation in May 2009, turnover fell from £86.1m to £52.4m in the Championship, with TV revenue tumbling from £37.6m to £16m.

Newcastle recorded a loss of £33.5m. In the same year in the top flight, West Ham lost £21m, Bolton £35m and Sunderland £27m, meaning this season's break-even financial position is relatively healthy.

Ashley is aiming for a time when the club pays for itself without needing regular loans from him. The plan is for a £10million profit in a year or two, which will be reinvested to buy players.

Season-ticket sales fell 4,000 after relegation and is down to 29,000, from a 38,000 peak. In five years' time, the club wants a return to 40,000 with deals rewarding loyalty.

There has been no serious interest from any potential new owner. Anyone asking for talks is told to buy a £50k-a-season corporate box for five years to prove their commitment. No-one has.

<same Llambias quotes>

Llambias revealed Ashley had to pay £37m in outstanding transfer fees after buying United.

The Geordies get £2m from shirt sponsorship, but Liverpool's income from the same source is 10 times that amount.

That is why Newcastle are still talking to partners about naming rights for St James' Park - which is currently officially known as sportsdirect.com@St James' Park.

Plans for a big screen at St James' are on hold. It would restrict the view from 5,000 seats and cost £1.2m, but they do have planning permission.

Director and staff pay has been frozen for the last two years.

Big screen? Where the f*** they planning on fitting a big screen. Although we should get a scoreboard somewhere, even if it is just to capture moments like this:

http://www.nufc.com/images/2005-06images/2006-04-17scoreboard.jpg

:snod:

If that £37m figure is right, if SJH hadn't sold up we'd have been headed for a few very interesting years. Wonder what would have happened.

Of course it'll be true, you can imagine them playing FM.

"Lets buy Messi, we have no transfer budget, oh well, monthly instalments, 48 months, lololololol. Lets buy Ronaldo..."

I fucking hate Llambias like. What a cocksmoker.

I'm far more interested in your previous post in this thread (The Simon Bird article quote) which would seem to indicate, categorically in fact, that Ashley is not the anti-christ so many on here would have him be.

People cherish their opinions as though they were their children, unwilling to relinquish an idea because it means they would have to concede they may have been wrong. (Not you specifically, talking in general now.) Ashley may have made mistakes but he's not a cunt out to destroy the club, nor use it (club) as a cashflow exercise that increases his personal fortune; Lllambias may come across as an odious twerp (indeed does) but rationally he must be doing a decent job despite his persona.

I may be forced to vomit as I try to eat my own words a few more royal fuck-ups from now - but I doubt it, Ashley doesn't do failure. At least not willingly. Not saying he's a hero either, but some people seriously need to re-evaluate the big picture.

He got us relegated when it was massively avoidable.  We got promoted first time of asking.  We did pretty well in the first 15 games or so back up.  He sacked the manager.  He hired a League 1 manager on a 5 year contract.  He sold our best player, signed no replacement.  Our Premier League status is in jeopardy now.

I assume by bigger picture you're talking about lowering the wage bill.  On the pitch we've achieved nothing and been through lows that were entirely unnecessary.  Off the pitch, it's been chaos much of the time.  

You've got to be taking the piss by saying shit like "Ashley doesn't do failure".  He's been a huge failure at NUFC so far, not arsed if he's put up some cash in the process.  I maintain that he'll still get that cash back.  The idea is to remain in the Premier League where the money is and keep costs down, until he gets an offer for the club that suits him.

He got us relegated when it was massively avoidable.  We got promoted first time of asking.  We did pretty well in the first 15 games or so back up.  He sacked the manager.  He hired a League 1 manager on a 5 year contract.  He sold our best player, signed no replacement.  Our Premier League status is in jeopardy now.

I assume by bigger picture you're talking lowering about the wage bill.  On the pitch we've achieved nothing and been through lows that were entirely unnecessary.  Off the pitch, it's been chaos much of the time. 

You've got to be taking the piss by saying shit like "Ashley doesn't do failure".  He's been a huge failure at NUFC so far, not arsed if he's put up some cash in the process.  I maintain that he'll still get that cash back.  The idea is to remain in the Premier League where the money is and keep costs down, until he gets an offer for the club that suits him.

:thup:

He got us relegated when it was massively avoidable.  We got promoted first time of asking.  We did pretty well in the first 15 games or so back up.  He sacked the manager.  He hired a League 1 manager on a 5 year contract.  He sold our best player, signed no replacement.  Our Premier League status is in jeopardy now.

I assume by bigger picture you're talking lowering about the wage bill.  On the pitch we've achieved nothing and been through lows that were entirely unnecessary.  Off the pitch, it's been chaos much of the time. 

You've got to be taking the p*ss by saying s*** like "Ashley doesn't do failure".  He's been a huge failure at NUFC so far, not arsed if he's put up some cash in the process.  I maintain that he'll still get that cash back.  The idea is to remain in the Premier League where the money is and keep costs down, until he gets an offer for the club that suits him.

I think he means deliberately failing. At least I hope he does :lol:

You've got to be taking the p*ss by saying s*** like "Ashley doesn't do failure".  He's been a huge failure at NUFC so far, not arsed if he's put up some cash in the process.  I maintain that he'll still get that cash back.  The idea is to remain in the Premier League where the money is and keep costs down, until he gets an offer for the club that suits him.

I think he means deliberately failing. At least I hope he does :lol:

Well I think he's a cunt but even I don't think he's deliberately tried to fail.  I think he's deliberately been pigheaded in a way that has carried a high risk of failure.  Whether he knew how high the risk was is up for debate.  I also think that he's occasionally acted in a way that is deliberately antagonistic to those who support the club.

What kind of point is that meant to be anyway? He doesn't "willingly fail"?! Of course he doesn't willingly fucking fail. Jesus H. It's hardly a golden review. Some people have low standards if all they wish for in an owner is someone who'll not intentionally fail.