Next season: What should our priorities be?

James

1. If we lose quality, replace with quality.

2. Sign two strikers.

3. Sign one centre-back.

4. Replace Harper either with one of the two young keepers or a new signing.

5. Look to finish a similar position to where we are at present but with a better points tally.

6. Have a good cup run.

First thing to do is make sure we don't lose any more of our key squad players. Simpson, Colo, Enrique, Barton, Nolan, Tiote, Jonas and Ben Arfa are the 8 players in our squad that I would be upset to see leave, if any of them go we're weakened significantly.

Priorities in the transfer market.

- Absolute no-brainer addition is a quality center forward. Someone who'll lead the line and provide us with a physical presence up front and get goals into the bargain. A replacement for Andy Carroll, basically.

- A winger, ideally one who can play both sides and provide real competition for Jonas and Barton. Someone like Routledge, only better.

Those two are a must, IMO.

If there's any more money to spend I'd be looking at another striker, a young CM or possibly a quality center half to partner Colo.

Bring back Forster, send Krul out on loan for the year. Give Forster a chance to start next year.

Loan our Ranger for the year to either Scotland or the lower leagues.

Try to get rid of Lovenkrands and Perch, let Campbell go also.

Pray that someone is stupid enough to take Ryan Taylor and Smith off our hands. Throw a MASSIVE party if anyone does so.

Next year's first team squad looks a bit like this.

Forster

Harper

Simpson

S Taylor

Colo

Williamson

Enrique

Ferguson

R Taylor

Barton

New Winger

Jonas

Tiote

Nolan

Guthrie

Ben Arfa

New center forward.

Shola

Best

That's with only two quality signings, which I don't think is an unreasonable expectation. If we can add more then that's great, but the above squad would have me relatively content going into next year.

We need 3 strikers, 2 of them of good quality. Strenthening of the squad is also needed throughout. A new decent manager would be nice. We then either aim for Europe\upper mid-table, or we have no ambition and just look to survive. If it's the latter, I expect all of our good players to want out.

I really don't think we are that far away from challenging for Europe, although that says more about the other sides in the league than us.

Priorities:

- New contracts for Barton and Enrique.

- Two new strikers. That will leave us with new strikers x2, Ben Arfa, Amoebi, Best, Lovenkrands and Ranger. This will allow us to loan out Ranger which I think will be crucial if he is going to develop.

- A new central midfielder. Tiote and Nolan have both done well this season but beyond them there is no depth in the centre of midfield.

- A new central defender. Sol won't get a new contract so we need a central defender for depth.

If we can get those four things right we will have a good season. After those four main priorities we could do with cover on the wings but I think the first four are far more important to get right.

Shak wrote

"absolute no-brainer addition is a quality center forward"

Wow!  I'll bet NONE of the other 19 teams in the PL will be looking for someone like that

http://cr.rs-clans.com/public/style_emoticons/default/StoneCold.gif

Do you see how maybe it's a particularly urgent need for us by any chance?

Re-building the squad. We went up last year and didn't really re-build the squad. Should look to build a squad based on our star players. By this meaning giving Barton, Enrique (if he stays) new contracts. Bring in players capable of starting and making an impact in this League for reasonable prices.

DO NOT RELY ON BEST BEING OUR MAIN STRIKER NEXT SEASON!

Get rid of wastes like Smith, Perch, Campbell. Still think Raylor might be good as 3rd choice RM and RB.

Bring in youngsters and loan them out together with our current youngsters such as Nile and Shane.

Guest BooBoo

I think next season may be even tougher than this one. I doubt we'll see the wow results of this season (especially in the first few months), that often seem to be notched up by recently promoted sides. Its imperative that we replace the new team on the block momentum with 3 or 4 decent signings who will freshen and improve the side. I know the doom mongers will pooh pooh the idea of signing quality players but to be fair we brought in two last summer even after the "no capital outlay" nonsense.

What's cost us this year dearly this year is when we've had to dip into the pool of back up players as few of them are capable of performing at this level. Minimising the exposure to the first team of the likes of Smith, Perch, Campbell, Ryan Taylor, Ranger and Lovenkrands has to be priority. Ideally, we wont be involving any of those players next year to any real extent.

It would also be handy if we could sort the goalkeeper situation out. I dont want to see Harper given yet another year and would like to see Forster take the gloves.

We can also try and mimimise disruption next season by improving our discipline. The amount of yellows racked up by, in particular, Tiote (banned three times this year alone), Nolan and Barton has been far too excessive.

The priorities in the transfer market are a different thread to the short term goals of the club.

The priority next season should be to better what we've done this year, simple as. Whether that means qualifying for Europe or simply avoiding second-season-syndrome i'm not sure. With the money we've got behind us, the bare minimum should be progress. Absolute bare minimum.

If the word relegation is so much as in our vocabulary next season, the club has failed. We've got £35m to add to what's a genuinely decent first eleven. Relegation mustn't even be discussed to say we've progressed.