Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Messi will win the World Cup in 2 years time. I've said it before, but Messi waltzing into Brazil, of all places, and finally lifting World Cup gold is too good of a story for it not to happen. Obviously he'll get a little help from his friends, but it'll be mainly him.

Messi will win the World Cup in 2 years time. I've said it before, but Messi waltzing into Brazil, of all places, and finally lifting World Cup gold is too good of a story for it not to happen. Obviously he'll get a little help from his friends, but it'll be mainly him.

This won't happen unless Argentina discover a LB and a GK.

• 2 weeks later...

Messi, the real Ronaldo and Zidane have to be the three best players I've ever seen in the game.  Can't comment on the likes of Maradona, Garrincha, Pele and all them lot because I've never seen them play a full match, and I get a real kick out of laughing at people my age who claim that they actually know enough to talk about it.

Messi really is phenomenal, C. Ronaldo doesn't even come close to him.  All this stuff about how you can't be the best if you're a one-club man is garbage as is the myth that he doesn't perform at international level.  What winds me up the most, however, is when people come out with fatuous, trite remarks like "oh he'll only be the best ever if he wins a World Cup", fuck off man he's one out of 11 players, hardly the lad's fault if his team mates aren't good enough.  I guess Ryan Giggs is utter shit by that logic.

Messi, the real Ronaldo and Zidane have to be the three best players I've ever seen in the game.  Can't comment on the likes of Maradona, Garrincha, Pele and all them lot because I've never seen them play a full match, and I get a real kick out of laughing at people my age who claim that they actually know enough to talk about it.

Messi really is phenomenal, C. Ronaldo doesn't even come close to him.  All this stuff about how you can't be the best if you're a one-club man is garbage as is the myth that he doesn't perform at international level.  What winds me up the most, however, is when people come out with fatuous, trite remarks like "oh he'll only be the best ever if he wins a World Cup", fuck off man he's one out of 11 players, hardly the lad's fault if his team mates aren't good enough.  I guess Ryan Giggs is utter shit by that logic.

he does tbh, he really really does (and i do not like cronaldo one bit but for people to keep denying his class and quality is madness)

there was a stat about cronaldo's last 6 seasons, something like 299 games and 270 odd goals...messi beat him by say 5 goals in 5 less games or whatever it was....madness tbh, cronaldo is not the creative force for others that messi is but then fat ronaldo didn't create much for others either for example

he's amazing, as much as i hate saying it, and frankly it's surely only messi and his own apparent odious character that stops him getting the recognition he deserves...

Just going off watching them as players really. The stats are impressive but too much is placed in them.

In terms of pure devastating ability I don't think anybody comes close to those two, not even Zidane and not Cristiano.

I'm not sure what other recognition you want him to get?

He's astonishingly good, but Messi and R9 both outshine him.

dunno, there's something about the fact that he's so disliked he isn't recognized for what he is - europe's best player/striker in xx years?

Zidane was no way near as good at club level as he was for France..... his career is like a highlight reel.... everyone will remember him for the amazing things he was able to do with the ball but he was nowhere near consistent enough and often failed to produce when it mattered at club level.

Of course all that doesnt matter because he drove France to success, but i think its something that needs to be noted in this discussion.

His style is the main reason he's praised as highly as he is, but he was a highly inconsistent player at club level.

Zidane was no way near as good at club level as he was for France..... his career is like a highlight reel.... everyone will remember him for the amazing things he was able to do with the ball but he was nowhere near consistent enough and often failed to produce when it mattered at club level.

Of course all that doesnt matter because he drove France to success, but i think its something that needs to be noted in this discussion.

His style is the main reason he's praised as highly as he is, but he was a highly inconsistent player at club level.

No.

Ronaldo just doesn't seem to have the footballing genius brain that Messi and more or less all of the other true 'greats' have. To me he's more like the ultimate combination of ability, athleticism and constant training.

Also when people say that Messi doesn't perform at an international level, they seem to forget Ronaldo hardly has the most success at that level.

What winds me up the most, however, is when people come out with fatuous, trite remarks like "oh he'll only be the best ever if he wins a World Cup", f*** off man he's one out of 11 players, hardly the lad's fault if his team mates aren't good enough.  I guess Ryan Giggs is utter s*** by that logic.

On the other side of the coin, that's what made Maradona so incredible. The 86 Argentina world cup squad was very average and were in no way favourites, yet he dominated that competition so forcefully he dragged the team single-handedly to the final and lifted the cup. So there is indeed logic in the argument.

No.

:lol: there's a reason he only won 1 CL despite being surrounded by WC players his whole career.... usually when CL semi's and final's came around for both Juventus and Madrid he didnt produce anywhere near his best.

Of course he saved his CV by scoring that goal against Leverkusen.... but he did'nt accomplish anywhere near as much as Messi has or perform consistently as he has at club level.

Zidane was exactly like Laudrup in that way..... both wonderfully gifted players but nowhere near as consistent as people claim and remembered for what they could do rather than what they didnt do.... both their club career's are like highlight reels.

Platini was head and shoulders above both of them.

Does'nt make Zidane a bad player, he's one of the most talented i have ever seen but he was nowhere near as consistent as people claim.

Personally when i look at Greatest players i like to see how consistent they were and Zidane while more talented than Messi IMO was nowhere near as consistent.

Ronaldo just doesn't seem to have the footballing genius brain that Messi and more or less all of the other true 'greats' have. To me he's more like the ultimate combination of ability, athleticism and constant training.

Also when people say that Messi doesn't perform at an international level, they seem to forget Ronaldo hardly has the most success at that level.

The two things that Messi/Ronaldo have is that natural dribbling ability with the ball at their feet and the footballing brain/vision to pass and create for others. That's why I put them both ahead of him. Cronaldo is arguably the complete forward, but he's not the complete footballer.

:lol: there's a reason he only won 1 CL despite being surrounded by WC players his whole career.... usually when CL semi's and final's came around for both Juventus and Madrid he didnt produce anywhere near his best.

Aye nowt to do with the other 10 players on the team like.

Did i say that? anyway we cant use that excuse for Zidane he was usually playing for the best team in the world pretty much his whole career.....

He was poor in the majority of semi's and final's ( CL ) by his own high standards but it all gets forgotten because of his France exploits.

Another example of World Cup overstating what players actually where.... Cannavaro is another one he was a great player but he was'nt even Nesta's league but history will tell you otherwise.

Did i say that? anyway we cant use that excuse for Zidane he was usually playing for the best team in the world pretty much his whole career.....

He was poor in the majority of semi's and final's ( CL ) by his own high standards but it all gets forgotten because of his France exploits.

Another example of World Cup overstating what players actually where.... Cannavaro is another one he was a great player but he was'nt even Nesta's league but history will tell you otherwise.

the fuck? :lol:

cannavaro was one of the best defenders in the game for many, many years and perhaps the best i've seen at sjp as well

Let me ask you this question..... what was your opinion of Cannavaro before the WC 2006?

Because the WC inflated everyones opinion of Cannavaro.... dont get me wrong he was a great defender but he was'nt even the best Italian CB of his generation.

Hell he was'nt even the best Juventus CB at the time. Another example of WC inflating peoples opinions of players.