European U21 Championship

Guest sicko2ndbest

Tricky situation for the FA isn't it?

Could they sack him from the Under 21s but keep him in his role as Capello's assistant, or would they have to get a new Under 21 coach & assistant manager?

I can see them sticking with him until after the Euros.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Who would people want to replace Pearce? Personally I think it should go to someone with a proven track record of dealing with the development of young players. That could mean dipping in to the lower leagues though and I doubt the F.A would do that. I don't think Pearce will be shown the door in the immediate future neither, but when he's finally told to do one, I can see Southgate getting the job unfortunately.

Guest guinness_fiend

Force clubs to release their best players for international duty?

Misses the point. Root and branch reform of kids and youth football more like.

I know what you're getting at, but some of the absentees could have made a major difference today. 

Force clubs to release their best players for international duty?

Misses the point. Root and branch reform of kids and youth football more like.

I know what you're getting at, but some of the absentees could have made a major difference today. 

2 absences.

Wilshere would have made some difference, but the same problems would remain.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Rwanda just hit the bar, then England went down the other end and made it 1-0.

Aye, that crossbar played a better pass then Henderson managed in 3 games.

Tidy save.

Why isn't Forster involved in this?

Because he's 23 years old!

Only a fortnight older than Fielding though, still eligible I expect.

No he's not as he didn't play in the qualifiers when he was under 21, or possibly 21 . Either way you can take any player eligible to play in the qualifiers to the tournament, since these started 2 years ago is why you see older players plying at this stage.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13839702.stm :doh: :facepalm:

Stuart Pearce set to sign new England Under-21 deal

Page last updated at 11:24 GMT, Monday, 20 June 2011 12:24 UK

Stuart Pearce is expected to sign a new two-year contract to remain as England Under-21 head coach, despite their exit from the European Championship.

A 2-1 loss to the Czech Republic meant England exited at the group stages of the tournament in Denmark, during which they failed to win a game.

However, the Football Association are adamant that the contract offered to Pearce in March will not be withdrawn.

The new deal will see Pearce, 49, remain in charge until 2013.

Should he put pen to paper, the former Manchester City boss will lead the Young Lions into their qualifying campaign for the 2013 European Championship finals in Israel.

The ex-England left-back - who has held the post of Under-21 coach for four years - is also favourite to coach the Great Britain football side at the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

We have to take it on the chin, learn, and go on next season

Stuart Pearce

Following his side's exit from the European Championship on Sunday, Pearce said his side had been handed the worst possible draw.

The defeat by the Czech Republic came after draws with both Spain and Ukraine, while in the other group Belarus made the semi-finals despite losing two of their three games.

"People don't realise the magnitude of the group we were put in," said Pearce, whose side came into the event ranked number one having reached the semi-final and final in the last two tournaments.

He added: "You've only got to look at the other group. A team's come out of that group having lost two matches.

"That tells you they might have lumped the stronger teams together. But that's tournament football."

Belarus beat Iceland before losing to group winners Switzerland and hosts Denmark, but still qualified for the semi-finals, where they will play Spain.

England looked to have set up a last-four meeting with Switzerland after Danny Welbeck put them ahead against the Czech Republic with 14 minutes left - but Jan Chramosta equalised in the 89th minute and Tomas Pekhart struck the winner in stoppage-time.

"Once you get your nose in front at that stage of the game, you hope to keep hold of it and see the game out," said Pearce.

"I wouldn't say we gave up. But we probably should have done better at the end. We have to take it on the chin, learn, and go on next season."