Sammy Ameobi released

James

Said and was blasted for it a couple of days ago but will say it again. Needs to be loaned out and put as far away from Shola as possible before his inevitable potential is lost and his transformation is complete. I even saw the Shola grin today when Sammy easily surrendered possession in the 80th minute!

Blasted? Hardly. It was simply a disagreement.

It's easy to come-in now and jump on a player's back after a poor performance, but I noticed that you failed to reply to my post after I gave a few examples to why Ameobi needs to stay here. (for the time being anyway.)

Probably the least talented player I've seen for a while (at this level). Headless chicken.

Incredibly harsh. This thread is like a bloody yo-yo. He has a great amount of skill as he has shown in glimpses. He just makes a lot of wrong decisions fueled by his natural naivety. Needs to learn his craft in league one or the championship, like many of our other fringe/youth players. Reserve football is no place to develop and a large part of why we havent seen as many youth players prosper as they should have done. 

That's the thing though he shows flashes of ability on the ball which - as we've seen before - gets mistaken for caged potential. It would take a monumental effort for him to reach even Obertan's level.

It is a waste of time keeping him here until that is tested though. He won't be fairly judged until he is playing for someone else. But to be fair to your argument in the starts he has been given he should have shown more and taken his chances. He did look great in one European game but its another flash in comparison to his forgettable performances.

Ferguson should be ahead of him every time. Travesty he wasn't starting today by the way.

Probably the least talented player I've seen for a while (at this level). Headless chicken.

Incredibly harsh. This thread is like a bloody yo-yo. He has a great amount of skill as he has shown in glimpses. He just makes a lot of wrong decisions fueled by his natural naivety. Needs to learn his craft in league one or the championship, like many of our other fringe/youth players. Reserve football is no place to develop and a large part of why we havent seen as many youth players prosper as they should have done. 

That's the thing though he shows flashes of ability on the ball which - as we've seen before - gets mistaken for caged potential. It would take a monumental effort for him to reach even Obertan's level.

It is a waste of time keeping him here until that is tested though. He won't be fairly judged until he is playing for someone else. But to be fair to your argument in the starts he has been given he should have shown more and taken his chances. He did look great in one European game but its another flash in comparison to his forgettable performances.

Ferguson should be ahead of him every time. Travesty he wasn't starting today by the way.

Ferguson didn't do too well in his last start either. (Although, I agree he should be given more game time.)

I don't particularly want Ameobi to start games, but he'd be useful come-on late to give us something different.

Said and was blasted for it a couple of days ago but will say it again. Needs to be loaned out and put as far away from Shola as possible before his inevitable potential is lost and his transformation is complete. I even saw the Shola grin today when Sammy easily surrendered possession in the 80th minute!

It's easy to come-in now and jump on a player's back after a poor performance, but I noticed that you failed to reply to my post after I gave a few examples to why Ameobi needs to stay here. (for the time being anyway.)

It was easy to jump in then too, because he isn't good enough for us right now and keeping him here is hurting him more than helping him. Ferguson, Gutierrez, Obertan, Marveaux, Ben Arfa are all better options and ahead of him and if we sign another striker he will be further down the list. This isn't the environment for him to be sitting and waiting for 1 game in 5 for him to play some minutes in, just as 1 good game in 5 isn't a good enough argument to keep him here.  It isn't doing him any favors with the fans either given the current situation. He should be out on loan and playing weekly away from the current mess.

It was easy to jump in then too, because he isn't good enough for us right now and keeping him here is hurting him more than helping him. Ferguson, Gutierrez, Obertan, Marveaux, Ben Arfa are all better options and ahead of him and if we sign another striker he will be further down the list. This isn't the environment for him to be sitting and waiting for 1 game in 5 for him to play some minutes in, just as 1 good game in 5 isn't a good enough argument to keep him here.  It isn't doing him any favors with the fans either given the current situation. He should be out on loan and playing weekly away from the current mess.

Ferguson is on the same level as Ameobi. Certainly not that much better.

Jonas has been truly awful and should only play out-wide when necessary.

Obertan is shit on the right but useful on the left.

Marveaux has played his best football in the middle.

Therefore Ameobi's presence to give us a bit of much needed depth is more important than sending him on loan.

He can go on loan next season. How old is he? 18? 19? No harm if he stays here for this season.

It's the likes of Abeid that should go out on loan. In the middle is where we have better options.

Ferguson didn't do too well in his last start either. (Although, I agree he should be given more game time.)

I don't particularly want Ameobi to start games, but he'd be useful come-on late to give us something different.

I don't think that really does him or us great favors though when he could get playing time elsewhere and a better chance to improve in a safer environment. Ideally we will get at least Remy or a similar striker in that will give him the chance to leave, although you are right in the fact we should at least wait until the end of the window to see where we stand before letting him go.

Almost the whole youth underbelly should be going out.. Abeid, Ameobi, Campbell, Tavernier and Dummett, from that list only the latter two or three should be retained for squad depth imo. I don't think its a huge deal, just put a recall option in all of the loans.

While he lacks a few of Ameobi's tricks and skills Ferguson is much better all round imo, he retains possession much better and uses his brain more effectively. He feels more like an established squad member to me (even though he isn't yet) like Bigi.

Amalfitano could certainly use a loan too if we aren't going to give him any time to play.

There are plenty of players who, at the age of 20 or earlier, are regularly playing first team football for top european teams. If he was going to be anything other than average he'd have shown it by now. I've no doubt his touch, movement, passing and intelligence will improve but not enough to make him even close to premier league standard

Guest bimpy474

I hate the way he runs at a player and doesn't try to pass it until he is a inch away, he loses the ball so many times like that it drives me mental.

Guest malandro

He's a young lad who has been thrown into a struggling and confused team. Doesn't deserve the stick he's getting.

I hate the way he runs at a player and doesn't try to pass it until he is a inch away, he loses the ball so many times like that it drives me mental.

Yeah I do that, difference is I can get away with it because I'm playing against a bunch of fatties and nobody who's professional :lol:

Kid needs a loan. We can't afford to lose players though. What a club.

At 20 he will not suddenly become a top player. But I most say, especially seeing the first team, that it´s something terrible wrong with the coaching in our club when every player that comes up has the same problem.

I´m sure that Sammy would at this stage would be a better player than he is if he would have been brought through at Manure, Arsenal etc. Sure better players around you make you better, but the quality at the developmental system is way more important, and that seems to be none existent. Sadly.

The lad does have talent and it does bother me that, if this generally negative reaction is typical, he'll start to lose confidence.

Like many young players, he was trying to do too much himself, but he wasn't helped by the fact that not much was going on around him. He didn't really have much choice.

The players that I would criticise are the ones who were running backwards to collect 10 yard passes from the back four and then just prodding it back. Sammy was always trying to turn and face the opposition and either run himself or play a forward pass into someone. Yes, you're going to lose the ball more often that way but the big problem of that team yesterday was a lack of confidence and initiative. Until the last 20 minutes, we were far too cautious and conservative and we shouldn't be laying into a player who showed some ambition.

Cannot believe that is someone's - anyone's - genuine opinion. I have never seen anything from Ameobi that could possibly justify that belief.

Cannot believe that is someone's - anyone's - genuine opinion. I have never seen anything from Ameobi that could possibly justify that belief.

Him and Ferguson have had pretty much the same impact when called upon. Wouldn't say one is that much better than the other.