Can we win the Premier League minus the 'Big Six' next season?

RupertCommunicator

It would appear that the top six places are sewn up without spending well beyond our means.  This also goes for everyone else too.

So...  Should our target for next season be 7th place, winning the 'Best of the rest'?

Realistic rivals - Everton and Villa are the big two.  I can't see Stoke, Fulham, Sunderland or Bolton putting up a serious challenge for 7th, so we should definitely be finishing 7th-9th.

I think if we spend 30 million plus we can comfortably finish 7th and perhaps in 2-3 years time challenge Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal for 4th-6th places.

Unless the financial fair play rules amount to anything (which I don't think they will) the top three have it sewn up until their sugar daddies leave town.

Would this be like finishing seventh?

:laugh:

what if one of the big six slip to mid table and another team finnish 5th. it gets very complicated. OP needs a better explanation.

I hope we have a real go at the cup competitions next year tbh, has fucked me off seeing the likes of Birmingham, Portsmouth, Boro, Blackburn, Leicester, etc winning these things over the last decade or so while we've consistently turned our noses up at the prospect of winning a trophy.

I hope we have a real go at the cup competitions next year tbh, has f***ed me off seeing the likes of Birmingham, Portsmouth, Boro, Blackburn, Leicester, etc winning these things over the last decade or so while we've consistently turned our noses up at the prospect of winning a trophy.

:thup:

I hope we have a real go at the cup competitions next year tbh, has f***ed me off seeing the likes of Birmingham, Portsmouth, Boro, Blackburn, Leicester, etc winning these things over the last decade or so while we've consistently turned our noses up at the prospect of winning a trophy.

Agreed.

I don't think we're that far behind Everton tbh. Even this season we're only 6 adrift of them. Do they have much to spend this summer? Even minus Enrique if we get 3 or 4 good signings I think we can leapfrog them. Villa will more than likely sell 2 or 3 of their big players so will be interesting to see if this year was just a blip or a sign of things to come, Bolton seem skint and again will probably lose their key centre-back. Think we'll do well.

It's not how much we spend it's who we buy.

Spaffing £30m on players who don't fit isn't as good as spending £20m on players who do. Everything is up in the air and it's impossible to answer this question. Absolutely pivotal window for us.

a.k.a. finish seventh?

What a strange thread title ...

Finish 7th doesn't sound as good!  Plus, we need to set realistic targets, and looking at the established order of things gives us an idea of where we should try to barge into the pecking order.

Fair play mate. If we can sign at least one quality striker, a winger and some decent cover across midfield and defence, there is no reason for us not to be a top seven club by this time next year.