Mehdi Abeid joins Panathinaikos

Colocho

IMO if Tiote doesn't play (in any match) Mehdi needs to take that role over. Nobody else in the squad can play that role, and there are times when Guthrie looks great, but as soon as he gets dropped for Tiote or Cabaye its like his mind hits a reset button and he's back to relatively poor level of play

But maybe too early for that this season?

IMO if Tiote doesn't play (in any match) Mehdi needs to take that role over. Nobody else in the squad can play that role, and there are times when Guthrie looks great, but as soon as he gets dropped for Tiote or Cabaye its like his mind hits a reset button and he's back to relatively poor level of play

I don't think it's too early, would definitely like to see him given a chance if Tiote's out. :thup:

Abeid doesn't play the same role as Tiote though.

There's no-one else in the squad who can really take Tiote's role, Abeid seems to be being groomed to do it though.  The club seemingly want him as a holding midfielder rather than an attacking one anyway.

There's no-one else in the squad who can really take Tiote's role, Abeid seems to be being groomed to do it though.  The club seemingly want him as a holding midfielder rather than an attacking one anyway.

He's still not playing in the holding role though. He plays more like somebody like Carrick, who sits deep and dictates play. Tiote breaks attacks up, which is something he doesn't do.

I know, I said no-one can take Tiote's role really.  I see Abeid being moulded into something closer to Tiote than Carrick though, as you say Carrick is someone who can dictate the tempo etc.  I reckon Abeid has the athleticism to do a bit more and get stuck in more, can't think of a decent example at the moment but I'll get back to you.  :lol:

Edit- there's quotes from Pardew saying he sees him as a holding midfielder

He's still not playing in the holding role though. He plays more like somebody like Carrick, who sits deep and dictates play. Tiote breaks attacks up, which is something he doesn't do.

Mehdi broke things up very well in the League Cup game against Forest.

Abeid's not really a Tiote-esque player but I do think he's shaping up to be a good CM. From what I've seen, he is quite tidy on the ball, has a good range of passing and does the simple things effectively. He complemented Cabaye well against Blackburn in the FA Cup imo - with Abeid doing the more simpler things such as holding up play (he has decent strength), receiving the ball deep from the defenders, it allowed Cabaye to push up and basically do all the attacking.

Abeid has a bright future here imho, will certainly have a bigger part to play next season (especially if Guthrie leaves).

Abeid doesn't play the same role as Tiote though.

Exactly. He plays on the wing. Can fill in defence as well.

Guest Shaun

His profile picture on facebook. :mackems:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/429488_3567167143055_1389216626_3417079_1931144157_n.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0ohc1Aj2n1qin4evo1_500.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0ogbzygZp1qin4evo1_500.gif

• 1 month later...

http://foot-africain.com/2012/04/29/en-exclusivite-linterview-de-mehdi-abeid-milieu-newcastle-pour-foot-africain-com-je-ne-ferme-pas-la-porte-a-un-pret-des-clubs-sinteressent-a-moi/

He is among the revelations of the Algerian Olympic Team, the young midfielder currently plays for Newcastle alongside great players. He agreed to answer our questions about his situation at the club, the national team and its future.

Mehdi, thank you for agreeing to answer questions of Foot-africain.com, for starters we would like to know how it goes for you in Newcastle?

Everything is going very well in Newcastle I feel fine, I'm all on well integrated and I was immediately well supported, I am very pleased to have signed here.

You made ​​your debut with the first team in the third round of the Curling Cup against Nottingham Forest, did you feel at that moment?

I felt enormous pride as if all the work that I had provided during the year ended up paying. I really worked hard to get so far and I am happy but it's not over I intend to go as far as possible and show what I can do at the highest level.

- You marked recently with the reserves against Liverpool, do you think this will push Alan Pardew to give you your chance and you incorporate into the first team?

I do not know if this will push the manager to make me play more regularly but for now I work hard to earn my place I try to show the coach I can help the team when needed, has to show me the manager that I can play.

Speaking of National Team since the Moroccan land disposal for qualifications for the 2012 Olympics, it seems they buried quickly this generation? Do not you have this resentment?

Yes it's true that everything went very quickly, I think that was not ridiculous in the CAN, it showed very good things. It has not had much luck in the last game where we lacked a bit of concentration and experience especially being led 1 to 0 against Nigeria. I think overall everything has been positive, unfortunately it had to win this last match which was very important to us.

Every indication of Algeria to finally find the Olympics, but no! Looking back what was missing in this team to succeed in its mission?

There was a lack of experience, it has enormous qualities and I think we were a team that frightened the other selections. It has surprised everyone by winning the first match against Senegal, after we have to say we wasted a lot of opportunities in the first game and we have not had much luck. It was not enough killer in front of goal.

Mehdi back to you, Hatem Ben Arfa is your teammate in Newcastle, you confirm that it is truly a gifted the ball?

Yes Hatem is a very good player, the start of the season has not been easy for him he was returning from injury. There he comes back strong at the end of the season, he showed all his class during the last few games. I'm happy for him and hope he will go to the Euro, he deserves it.

You find yourself alongside big names such as Ben Arfa or Coloccini, what is it like to grow with such players?

is making enormous advances in contact with such players on the field and off. Cc'est important to have managers who have experience, it makes us grow tremendously.

You will always be a Magpies next season?

Yes I would always Magpies next season after this is over I will not close the door has a loan, you learned about me, some clubs are interested, then I would see what is best for me, I I need to play at my age, so we'll see I would talk with leaders to clarify the situation. But I am very pleased to Newcastle and I want to finish this season on good matches, I'm focused on the goal of the club that is the Champions League.

Spend your summer vacation in Algeria ...?

No I do not think I'd go on holiday in Algeria, then I would see, it can change (Laughter)

It lets you enter Mehdi, a word-Foot africain.com

Thank you for interest in me, it's nice and then I hope to show you everything I am able to read, thank you very much.

• 2 months later...

Rumours of a season long loan to Ipswich. Interesting considering we're a bit light in CM as it is.

Might be good for his development, but as you say it would require further strengthening in midfield, probably resulting in him being further down the pecking order still. Not sure about Ipswich/Championship either, so for that reason I'm out..

Rumours of a season long loan to Ipswich. Interesting considering we're a bit light in CM as it is.

We've brought in Ama-something (sorry) as our Guthrie replacement and are rumoured to be bringing in a DM in Anita. Would be good for Abeid to get some first team football, key for his development imo as I can't see him getting enough games with Cabaye, Tiote, Gosling, Ama and potentially Anita ahead of him.

Aye first team opportunity will be great, though was under the impression he was considered not a million miles off first team, indication Tiote is staying or we're getting Anita? Anyway hope he does well, much prefer this to him playing for the reserves all season and only getting 2 or 3 first team caps

Guest WhyAyeCabaye

At his age he needs all the first team football he can get to help his development.

A good move for both parties!