Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Him and Schweinsteiger sound like a great pairing on paper. Their qualities should complement each other very well.

If Schweinsteiger can somehow rediscover his World Cup 2010 form, yes. If not, then not. He wasn't even close to being a world class midfielder in recent times.

Him and Schweinsteiger sound like a great pairing on paper. Their qualities should complement each other very well.

If Schweinsteiger can somehow rediscover his World Cup 2010 form, yes. If not, then not. He wasn't even close to being a world class midfielder in recent times.

Dominated the Madrid game well into extra time last season.

Wasn't Schweinsteiger amazing in the opening months of last season? he's had a bunch of injuries and hasn't got back to those kinds of performances when i saw him but it's a matter of months not years.

Yes he was brilliant in the opening months until his injury, funny enough it coincided with a period of poor form for Bayern and while he came back to fitness i hasn't been anywhere near that level since.

Mind you it won't be the end of the world for Bayern if he doesn't, Martinez and Kroos in midfield and Shaqiri or Muller ahead of them still isn't all bad :lol:

Hope that's all true, hope AVB fails. Was speaking to a Portuguese lad the other day and he said that over when he was managing Porto he was incredibly arrogant. I think he really believes he's a great manager already

It's goal.com. Apparently they simply made it up. Who'da thunk it?

Does look like VDV might leave though, if Hamburg cough up enough dough (too many oughs there). On the one hand, I'd be gutted to lose our remaining player with a brain, on the other we might get a shit-ton of money for an older, injury-prone player.

Naah, I'd be gutted.

Jesus, I suppose we get our money's worth from Levy. Fucking mental. I mean, I know he knows what he's doing, but does AVB?

Tottenham have begun negotiations with Hamburg over the sale of Rafael van der Vaart as they close on signing Barcelona star Ibrahim Afellay on loan.

VdV and Hamburg have apparently already agreed personal terms. It's now about the fee.

Bayern Munich have finalised the purchase of Javi Martínez, €40m. The third highest price ever paid for a Spanish player.

Is it finalised finally? Latest I heard was that Bilbao were still blocking it.

Bayern have paid the clause, according to our rules it will go ahead and it's up to Athletic if they want to take it to the regular courts or not.

The problem with Athletic is that the money does actually little for them, the only thing it will do is inflate the tags of the few transfer targets they have.

What's the full story here VI, from what I heard a while back the deal could have potentially cost Bayern about 52m? Something along the lines of Martinez having to buy himself out his contract for the 40m but he'd have to pay tax on the money if Bayern were to give him the money, hence the higher figure. I was always under the assumption any club could activate a player buyout clause.  ???

In a nutshell, this is how release clauses work over here.

1) In the 80s, a court ruling determined that a footballer (or any other sportsman for that matter) could terminate his contract at any time, in the same way any other worker can leave his job.

2) As a way to counter that, clubs included clauses in contracts where the player is penalised if he breaks the contract before it concludes.

3) That means that a player is - in theory - paying the clause of his own pocket, with all the tax consequences. So in this case Javi Martínez would need to explain where did he get those €40m from.

4) There's a gentlemen's agreement in place, however, where a club will basically accept any bid that meets the release clause of a player. It's not out of kindness of hearth, there's fear that full court scrutiny would find a lot of those clauses abusive and endanger the system.

5) Some times, though, like Athletic did here, they threaten to pull all legal stops to block the transfer, or just get more money.

6) There's a UEFA rule that says, however, that a club can pay a release clause on behalf of the player, and that the selling club has to accept it. That's what Munich is using in this case. So it's another of those grey areas were sports law attempts to trump common law.

Hope that's all true, hope AVB fails. Was speaking to a Portuguese lad the other day and he said that over when he was managing Porto he was incredibly arrogant. I think he really believes he's a great manager already

Think he honestly thought he'd follow into the footsteps of Mourinho quite easily. And who can blame him? Winning the Europa League with Porto then joining Chelsea.....

Pack to topic, putting all those players up for sale (if true) reminds me of the 08/09 season where they were in the relegation zone before Harry came and splashed the cash in January....

James Horncastle ‏@JamesHorncastle

Fiorentina issue strong statement on Berbatov. “He doesn’t deserve our city and our shirt”

Fiorentina furious. Claim they got green light from United and a verbal agreement from Berba. Paid for tickets to Florence. Never turned up

Whateva,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSb6AQ_HJvDY56-wCKOSgD-qNVwZLMnZ_1Auj25beinrW-jHMSN

Fiorentina issue strong statement on Berbatov. “He doesn’t deserve our city and our shirt”

Fiorentina furious. Claim they got green light from United and a verbal agreement from Berba. Paid for tickets to Florence. Never turned up

Fiorentina slam the “arrogance of other clubs” in hijacking Berba deal.