Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

surely fabregas is as close as there is likely to be to xavi (that's around at the moment), hence barca's obssession with him

he's not the same player right now due to where he's deployed but if they sign him i think he'll slot into that role...he's got xavi's positional awareness and a good range of passing imo so he won't be getting caught in possession much which is so key to their game

hopefully the PL hasn't filled him full of hollywood passes and he can revert to playing a game that isn't all about him at barca if/when he goes there

That's the problem with Thiago at the moment, he always goes for the Hollywood pass/dribble which means he gets caught in possession quite often, which is very bad for our game. He can pull it off against kids in the U21 tournament or La Liga second tier, but can see world class DMs having a laugh. He has the ability, mind, but he is still very raw and needs to be patient.

Also, according to "El Mundo Deportivo" we have received a €18m for Thiago Alcántara from an unnamed club.

Why bother with Fabregas when you've got Thiago in your ranks? He'll turn out better than Fabregas.

Different players. Thiago is more of an AMC, Fábregas would fill in for Xavi.

Also, despite his undoubted quality, I'm afraid Thiago won't make it with us. He strikes me as very impatient and will want a move if he isn't starting regularly at the end of next season, which won't happen.

Cesc is attacking mid, plays centrally of the 3AM behind Van Persie and in front of the the 2DM. Good enough to play in xavi role but you'd be sacrificing a huge part of his game.

I know, but I'm pretty confident he could take a few steps back on the pitch and fill that role. Plus it's not like Xavi doesn't get near the box, Cesc can still exploit his final ball.

Aye, fair enough although I was thinking more his goal threat than his incisive passing. Cesc is one of the best 'operators' from 25yards out, I see him more in iniestas role than Xavi, gets into the box very frequently and its where his passing and finishing comes to life.

Already been said but Modric is the closest to Xavi. Modric and cesc are 2 completely different type of players now.

Harry Redknapp admits he will have to offload a number of players before he can spend this summer.

The Tottenham boss is working with one of the Premier League's biggest squads, meaning his hands are tied in the transfer market.

He has been informed by the club's board that any moves for further fresh faces will need to be funded by sales.

With Spurs looking to break back into the top four in 2011/12 and secure UEFA Champions League football once more, it is expected that they will look to bring in new recruits.

There will, however, be plenty of movement towards the White Hart Lane exits before any arrivals are welcomed on board.

Quiet

Redknapp said: "There is nothing happening in the transfer market.

"I need to sell four or five players to bring in funds.

"The chairman has made it clear we need to move a few players before we can start doing any business.

"I keep seeing us linked with this player and that, but unless we reduce our squad numbers we will stay quiet in the market."

Guess not being in the CL next season is hitting them hard. They could do with losing some players tbf.

Guest kingdawson

Redknapp is talking rubbish. He needs to offload players not because of funds but because of the 25 man squad rule. Levy has already stated this.

Redknapp is talking rubbish. He needs to offload players not because of funds but because of the 25 man squad rule. Levy has already stated this.

I imagine also need to make room on the wage bill with the likes of Keane picking up big wages for doing nothing while Modric is rather underpaid for his contribution.

Guest kingdawson

tbf Spurs have a big squad with alot of dead weight. I think the board is entitled to ask for Harry to sell before he buys.

Yep but why Arry is saying it's to do with raising transfer funds i don't know. Well i suppose it's a smart move tbf but still don't like it.

Anyway Palacios should wrap up a 10m move to PSG soon and Gio will likely be a sevilla player soon too (6m is the price that the tabloids are saying). Niko is talking to Kiev (who apparently have offered a very good amount of £) ,  Woodgate is already gone and we've also sold O'Hara for 5m.

Keane, Hutton, Bentley , Jenas and Pav will hopefully leave soon enough too.

Your finances can't be that good though, surely, given how high the net spend over recent years has been.

Feel like I've posted this a few times!

It's not all about transfer net spend. We've maintained a strong commercial income over the last few years, despite not being in the CL. Add high ticket prices (matchday income greater than Liverpool). Then you factor in our tight wage control, which saves us tens of millions each year compared to Arsenal and the rest of them.

I suspect Wigan's net transfer spend is great, but they lose money because there's fuck all else coming in.

Our problem right now is cutting out players who have done a job but are now surplus to requirements. It's pretty clear who they are. Then we've got to try to get the right forward. Levy made the call to use the CL money on Gallas and VDV's wages, but even without that money we should be OK if we lose Jeane, Bentley etc.

Guest sydneycove

Juventus sign Alessandro Matri, Fabio Quagliarella, Simone Pepe and Marco Motta for a combined fee of €37 m. Makes Liverpool's transfers policy look even dumber.

tbf Spurs have a big squad with alot of dead weight. I think the board is entitled to ask for Harry to sell before he buys.

Yep but why Arry is saying it's to do with raising transfer funds i don't know. Well i suppose it's a smart move tbf but still don't like it.

Anyway Palacios should wrap up a 10m move to PSG soon and Gio will likely be a sevilla player soon too (6m is the price that the tabloids are saying). Niko is talking to Kiev (who apparently have offered a very good amount of £) ,  Woodgate is already gone and we've also sold O'Hara for 5m.

Keane, Hutton, Bentley , Jenas and Pav will hopefully leave soon enough too.

Spurs always seem to get great prices for the crap they dont want. If they had smith they would probably get someone to buy him for about £5m

Juventus sign Alessandro Matri, Fabio Quagliarella, Simone Pepe and Marco Motta for a combined fee of €37 m. Makes Liverpool's transfers policy look even dumber.

Only seen Matri play 3 or 4 times, but seems like a really good footballer. Quagliarella is class.