Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Seems Fulham have signed Dekka Boateng on a nowt.

Also Fernando Amorebieta and Maarten Stekelenburg................they are working quick

Surely not? That would be a brilliant signing for them.

Also Fernando Amorebieta and Maarten Stekelenburg................they are working quick

Iirc they wanted him in January but the move fell through and he was stranded at the airport or something.

Edit: He was on the plane en route to Fulham when the talks collapsed. :lol:

Signing him will surely mean the end of Schwarzer.

Graeme Bailey @GraemeBailey

Gazzetta dello Sport claiming Fulham have agreed a deal with Roma for Maarten Stekelenburg - who almost joined the club in January.

As with PSG, barely any of the money they are going to howk around is going to trickle down the French football pyramid.

Wouldn't be bad from a NUFC pov if we continue to shop in the French market. Keeps prices down and clubs are more liable to sell their players if they didn't receive a huge profit from PSG or Monaco.

As with PSG, barely any of the money they are going to howk around is going to trickle down the French football pyramid.

As a rule of thumb, whenever "trickle down" is mentioned in financial terms, it never happens, and is really just used as a moral justification for extremely wealthy organisations or people to stay extremely wealthy.

As a rule of thumb, whenever "trickle down" is mentioned in financial terms, it never happens, and is really just used as a moral justification for extremely wealthy organisations or people to stay extremely wealthy.

:thup: I know. Feel a bit sorry for your Joe 'I support a French team not from somewhere glamorous' Le Bloggs who is seeing his league absolutely ruined in the name of personal/nationalistic (Qatar) glory.

Don't have to be a top top side to win the title like. Not sure man utd had a RB of any note this year...

Rafeal is a great player, its time to stop the fixed opinions and realise players can improve. ( not aimed at you btw just a sweeping statement)

Spurs are a lot more than 2 players away from a title challenge, you don't go from 5th to 1st with 2 players.

Depends if those two players are Thiago Silva and Messi ;)

I was thinking of realistic signings :lol:

Is Dawson even good? Every time I've seen him he's been no more than average. I have liked Caulker on the other hand but he's not good enough to be a starting central defender for a title challenging team just yet in my opinion.

This is what i was talking about they are far away from a title challenge.... half their defence isn't even top 4 level matter about champions level.

Their midfield without Dembele and Sandro is mid table level, they have no quality 10s, Lennon is injury prone and he needs some competition anyway plus the obvious striker.

Even if they bought a quality CF, kept Bale and got a quality partner for Vertonghen and none of the contenders bought anyone they still wouldn't finish above the Mancs.

I think a lot of you are underestimating how much is needed to go from a top 4 contender to a title contender.

Same goes for Chelsea and Arsenal.

I have to think you're the one doing the underestimating here. They probably have the most depth in the backline than anyone else in the league. Kaboul is easily a top centerback if he's able to return to form after being out all season. As a group they're very solid and capable of challenging for a title. A quality striker, competition for Lennon, and one or two centermids to replace Parker and give Dembele a backup would probably put them in a shot of the title.

I think the truth is between you two. Mole, we were only three points off third and six points off second, although obviously that ignores GD. I think a title push is hugely unlikely because of the financial advantage the other clubs have, but it wouldn't take too much to improve us. Some good luck with injuries would help.

Isn't the interesting point that you've said our defence, midfield and attack were all so unimpressive, yet we still did so well? Surely that means that we have loads of opportunities to get better? I worry that Kaboul is becoming a perma-crock, but if he does come back then we're laughing. We have plenty of players we can sell for decent money to generate cash. Man U have shown what you can achieve with a mix of fantastic players and some really quite limited ones, as long as the team play and tactics are good.

Of course it would be nice to upgrade players like Walker, but I don't see that as a priority. He's limited, but adequate in a good team. We need to get in a couple of clever, fast, and creative players - up front, wide forward and probably in the midfield. There are a couple of young players in a position to move up, with a few others in the pipeline. Keeping Bale is key - (a) he's shit-hot (b) there's a possibility that he will help us attract one or two players. I'd like to think so, anyway.

Let's say we shift on Parker, Defoe, Huddlestone, and a few fringe players (Gomes, Naughton, Dempsey, Gallas, Bentley). Carroll, Townsend and Rose come into the side, and kids like Luongo, Kane, Falque, Pritchard and Archer get another year on loan. The matchday squad looks like this:

GK: Lloris, Friedel, one of the kids

RB: Walker, Smith

LB: Rose, BAE

CB: Vertonghen, Kaboul, Dawson, Caulker

CM: Carroll, Sandro, Dembele, Holtby

Attacking mids: Sigurdsson, Bale

Wide forwards: Lennon, Townsend

CF: Adebayor

That's 20 - so you've got plenty of room to add in three properly good players, then have younger players like Livermore as emergency cover. So, one forward, one wide forward, one attacking mid. That's what we needed all year anyway. Get that and I think we're a better team than this year, and like I say, we didn't do too badly.

Don't have to be a top top side to win the title like. Not sure man utd had a RB of any note this year...

Rafeal is a great player, its time to stop the fixed opinions and realise players can improve. ( not aimed at you btw just a sweeping statement)

Spurs are a lot more than 2 players away from a title challenge, you don't go from 5th to 1st with 2 players.

Depends if those two players are Thiago Silva and Messi ;)

I was thinking of realistic signings :lol:

Is Dawson even good? Every time I've seen him he's been no more than average. I have liked Caulker on the other hand but he's not good enough to be a starting central defender for a title challenging team just yet in my opinion.

This is what i was talking about they are far away from a title challenge.... half their defence isn't even top 4 level matter about champions level.

Their midfield without Dembele and Sandro is mid table level, they have no quality 10s, Lennon is injury prone and he needs some competition anyway plus the obvious striker.

Even if they bought a quality CF, kept Bale and got a quality partner for Vertonghen and none of the contenders bought anyone they still wouldn't finish above the Mancs.

I think a lot of you are underestimating how much is needed to go from a top 4 contender to a title contender.

Same goes for Chelsea and Arsenal.

I have to think you're the one doing the underestimating here. They probably have the most depth in the backline than anyone else in the league. Kaboul is easily a top centerback if he's able to return to form after being out all season. As a group they're very solid and capable of challenging for a title. A quality striker, competition for Lennon, and one or two centermids to replace Parker and give Dembele a backup would probably put them in a shot of the title.

I think the truth is between you two. Mole, we were only three points off third and six points off second, although obviously that ignores GD. I think a title push is hugely unlikely because of the financial advantage the other clubs have, but it wouldn't take too much to improve us. Some good luck with injuries would help.

Isn't the interesting point that you've said our defence, midfield and attack were all so unimpressive, yet we still did so well? Surely that means that we have loads of opportunities to get better? I worry that Kaboul is becoming a perma-crock, but if he does come back then we're laughing. We have plenty of players we can sell for decent money to generate cash. Man U have shown what you can achieve with a mix of fantastic players and some really quite limited ones, as long as the team play and tactics are good.

Of course it would be nice to upgrade players like Walker, but I don't see that as a priority. He's limited, but adequate in a good team. We need to get in a couple of clever, fast, and creative players - up front, wide forward and probably in the midfield. There are a couple of young players in a position to move up, with a few others in the pipeline. Keeping Bale is key - (a) he's shit-hot (b) there's a possibility that he will help us attract one or two players. I'd like to think so, anyway.

Let's say we shift on Parker, Defoe, Huddlestone, and a few fringe players (Gomes, Naughton, Dempsey, Gallas, Bentley). Carroll, Townsend and Rose come into the side, and kids like Luongo, Kane, Falque, Pritchard and Archer get another year on loan. The matchday squad looks like this:

GK: Lloris, Friedel, one of the kids

RB: Walker, Smith

LB: Rose, BAE

CB: Vertonghen, Kaboul, Dawson, Caulker

CM: Carroll, Sandro, Dembele, Holtby

Attacking mids: Sigurdsson, Bale

Wide forwards: Lennon, Townsend

CF: Adebayor

That's 20 - so you've got plenty of room to add in three properly good players, then have younger players like Livermore as emergency cover. So, one forward, one wide forward, one attacking mid. That's what we needed all year anyway. Get that and I think we're a better team than this year, and like I say, we didn't do too badly.

tbh I think you'd be better to shift Adebayor than Defoe because while on his day Ade is great those days are rather rare once he has a contract