Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

So anyway, Cavani to PSG is confirmed.

Might Ligue 1 be poaching the Premier League's best players in the future rather than the other way around?

Hard to see given the relative TV deals and respective numbers of billionaire owners in each league. Would need the PL to collapse on itself of Ligue 1 to attract investment left, right and centre.

Definitely seems that PSG are operating above Serie A (minus Juve). Could probably argue Monaco too.

Sky sources understand Wayne Rooney is unhappy at Manchester United and is looking to leave.

Sources close to Rooney claim the 27-year-old England international striker is "angry and confused" about his treatment by the club.

Reporter Kaveh Solhekol told Sky Sports News: "Rooney believes he is at the peak of his career and has no intention of becoming a squad rotation player or by playing second fiddle to anyone at Old Trafford.

"He believes he has nothing left to prove after nine successful seasons - yet that is what is being suggested by reports in the media which have interpreted the club's statement as meaning he's currently on trial for the coming season.

"Since he's returned from the pre-season tour due to injury, Rooney has been in touch with the club and spoken to David Moyes on the phone - he is angry and confused at the way he's been treated."

Rooney has been linked with a transfer to both Arsenal and Chelsea in recent weeks and it is understood he is open to the idea of moving to London from the North West.

He also expects to be fit for the start of the new season despite flying home from Bangkok last week due to a hamstring problem.

Rooney has two years left on his current contract at Old Trafford but new chief executive Ed Woodward revealed at the weekend that an extension is not on United's agenda.

Woodward said: "No contract renewals are being discussed. I am not sitting down with any player on an extension and there is no trigger date in the diary.

"Would we be afraid to run a contract down? Of course not."

United manager David Moyes still sees Rooney as a key member of his squad, but he said at the weekend: "Overall, my thought on Wayne is, if for any reasons we had an injury to Robin van Persie, we'll need him.

"Wayne can play up on his own, he can play dropped in. It's going to be a time to see how I work with Wayne.

"Manchester United isn't about Wayne Rooney. Manchester United is about the team - the club.

"I won't allow Wayne Rooney to become more important than the football club and the football team, because that's the heart of it."

I think Rooney is kind of cursed by being so all-round a player, Van Persie is the better out and out forward, Kagawa the better no 10 (imo) and Rooney can drift wide but he's not as good as any pure wingers. At a club with less resources he'd be able to play the all action footballer better, but you're never going to drop Van Persie for Rooney as an out and out striker.

I would accept us signing Rooney and no-one else this summer.

There I said it.

Well, yeah. :lol:

Pards would have a hell of a time finding a regular position for him, incredibly.

This guy is a great talent, but he's a bum. Often unfit or injured. Why should th elikes of Kagawa and Hernandez etc. have to cede to this guy when he cant even get himself fit enough. They should definitely ditch him. Pathetic guy.

Don't know if you guys saw this article. They've been prepping to let him go imo.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2354497/Wayne-Rooney-hated-gym-Ronaldo-says-ex-Manchester-United-fitness-coach-Mick-Clegg.html

Wayne hated the gym... that's why he didn't get near Ronaldo! Ex-United coach blasts Rooney ahead of meeting with Moyes

By Gerard Brand and Adam Crafton

PUBLISHED: 10:02, 3 July 2013 | UPDATED: 11:02, 3 July 2013

156 shares

View

comments

Wayne Rooney has been criticised by former Manchester United fitness coach Mick Clegg, who claims the England star was never as good as Cristiano Ronaldo because he hated going to the gym.

The 27-year-old has had doubts cast over him for several years regarding his fitness, and ahead of his crucial meeting with David Moyes, Clegg has a few ideas as to why the England star has somewhat fallen from grace.

Clegg told The Sun: 'Wayne didn’t see the importance of the gym really. He’d say, "I’m here to play football". I always wish I could have pushed Wayne that bit further.'

Rooney and Ronaldo blossomed at Old Trafford between 2004 and 2009, before the Portugal star left for Real Madrid.

Rooney has been hot and cold since, and Clegg claims the England star did not want to work out as much as other players.

'Wayne was always a big lad and was afraid of bulking up if he spent too much time in the gym.

'That’s what set Cristiano Ronaldo apart. He would do whatever training I prescribed and more.

'He lived and breathed football 24/7 and his dedication was phenomenal.

'Wayne could still be as good as Cristiano if he emulated his attitude to the gym — he is an amazing athlete when he puts his mind to it.'

Rooney was last seen enjoying himself at Glastonbury with a pint of cider, and faces a tough time during pre-season to impress new boss Moyes.

And he faces the first test of his relationship with Moyes today - when he steps on the scales.

United’s players are due to return to Carrington today as they undergo their pre-season medical and fitness tests, and Moyes will be keeping a firm eye on Rooney - after last year’s rigorous assessments proved the England man to be as much as half a stone overweight.

Rooney will be hoping to avoid a repeat of 12 months ago, where his pre-season struggles resulted in his poor performance in a 1-0 defeat at Everton on the opening day.

Sir Alex Ferguson dropped him for United’s next game at home to Fulham. Robin van Persie took Rooney’s place – and the plaudits. In his post match interview, the manager admitted that the player’s fitness was ‘a bit behind’ that of the others.

Rooney

Rooney

Fitness doubts: Rooney's weight has been a constant point of concern

Some involved at United believe Rooney has lost the edge and instinctiveness that made him such an explosive partner for Ronaldo at Manchester United.

Even after Ronaldo's departure, Rooney improved and there was a period in the 2009-10 season - including a magnificent Rooney performance as United beat AC Milan in the San Siro - when the forward was genuinely world class.

But for a player that is earning £250,000 a week, those moments were few and far between.

The Barclays Premier League champions are entitled to expect more.

Guest Howaythetoon

The gym thing is bull shit, here in England in particular, we put far too much emphasis on gym work often to the detriment of the player. Rooney's problem is the fags and the booze. He's a casual smoker and drinker and for a top-flight player in the modern game that's simply not the way to treat your body. His stamina and fitness levels are superb and always have been but fatigue due to the smoking and drinking is catching up with him.

This time last year I started going to the gym regularly and added a bit of beef after a few months, and it effected my game. I felt heavier and less mobile and people noticed I was less quicker too.

I cringe when I hear people say "he needs to bulk up a bit" when refering to the likes of Sammy Ameobi et al. Does he fuck. If he spent the time expected of him in the gym to bulk up in practicing his skills etc. he wouldn't need the gym.

A bloke who plays footy with us at 5-a-side is cock height, about 7 stone and old enough to be my dad, yet he's easily the most skilful and with it best performing player there.

Having said that, players do need to do some gym work but not of the beefing/bulking up variety. Just making sure all your muscles/body areas are getting enough of a work-out and maintaining a fitness regime is enough.

For Rooney, its the tabs and booze that will see a premature end to his career as a top-class player.

Wonder where he could go? We aren't in the market for a striker, Florentino Pérez might be tempted to get another trading card for his galàctico collection though. Any chance of another English team picking him up? Can't see him going to Chelsea or City, Arsenal can't probably afford him.

Wonder where he could go? We aren't in the market for a striker, Florentino Pérez might be tempted to get another trading card for his galàctico collection though. Any chance of another English team picking him up? Can't see him going to Chelsea or City, Arsenal can't probably afford him.

Chelsea or at a stretch Arsenal. He wouldn't dare go abroad plus who out of the 'big CL clubs' needs him? None I can think of.

Be class if he through a wildcard and went to Napoli or something.

Guest Howaythetoon

KK said while at Liverpool it was all about lifting the heavier weights, becoming stronger etc. where as in Germany it was all about losing any excess fat and trimming down, becoming a lean mean fighting machine so to speak.

The gym thing is bull shit, here in England in particular, we put far too much emphasis on gym work often to the detriment of the player. Rooney's problem is the fags and the booze. He's a casual smoker and drinker and for a top-flight player in the modern game that's simply not the way to treat your body. His stamina and fitness levels are superb and always have been but fatigue due to the smoking and drinking is catching up with him.

This time last year I started going to the gym regularly and added a bit of beef after a few months, and it effected my game. I felt heavier and less mobile and people noticed I was less quicker too.

I cringe when I hear people say "he needs to bulk up a bit" when refering to the likes of Sammy Ameobi et al. Does he fuck. If he spent the time expected of him in the gym to bulk up in practicing his skills etc. he wouldn't need the gym.

A bloke who plays footy with us at 5-a-side is cock height, about 7 stone and old enough to be my dad, yet he's easily the most skilful and with it best performing player there.

Having said that, players do need to do some gym work but not of the beefing/bulking up variety. Just making sure all your muscles/body areas are getting enough of a work-out and maintaining a fitness regime is enough.

For Rooney, its the tabs and booze that will see a premature end to his career as a top-class player.

One year experience in going to the gym and you expect to see results of that of professional athletes? You can definitely get quicker by growing your legs. I've experienced it before.

The gym thing is bull s***, here in England in particular, we put far too much emphasis on gym work often to the detriment of the player. Rooney's problem is the fags and the booze. He's a casual smoker and drinker and for a top-flight player in the modern game that's simply not the way to treat your body. His stamina and fitness levels are superb and always have been but fatigue due to the smoking and drinking is catching up with him.

I cringe when I hear people say "he needs to bulk up a bit" when refering to the likes of Sammy Ameobi et al. Does he f***. If he spent the time expected of him in the gym to bulk up in practicing his skills etc. he wouldn't need the gym.

Wow ... sorry, but you are so wrong. Why do people automatically think gym work equals bulking up. Terrible mindset.

There are sports specific exercises that can help improve your game immensely. It's not just about going in there and doing bench presses and curls.

Your mentality is very old school.

bulking up gym work can damage players, see Agbonlahor as classic example imo, lost his mobility. But surely gym work can be tailored not just to pile on mass to strengthen legs and lose some of hte excess weight rooney has occasionally put on