Barcelona win Champions League Final 10/11

Taylor Swift
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

alpal78.

You take everything into account that would benefit your argument.

How about the 1-1 draw in the 2nd CL tie when Barcelona turned couple of notches down and just tried to play the game out. Had they kept giving their all maybe they would've won. Fact is Mourinho is not the best manager in the world right now, Pep is ;)

Stop licking Mourinho arse ffs.

What the hell, I was arguing about tactics and how to beat Barcelona. Never mentioned anything about Mourinho being the best, you're can't stop bumming Pep can you.

Regarding the 1-1, yes perhaps Barcelona took it easy, perhaps so did Madrid coz they had given up hope by then (Mourinho said after the first leg, that they're out already). I took the result for what it was.

You're licking Mourinhos 'blueprint' arse.

How very matured, I take it you can't refute my argument then

:lol:

I don't know what to say though, you're completely right. I wonder whether the managers of Hercules and Real Sociedad who beat Barcelona with players not half as good as Barcelonas or Reals resorted to this 'blueprint' tactics.

I don't know what to say though, you're completely right. I wonder whether the managers of Hercules and Real Sociedad who beat Barcelona with players not half as good as Barcelonas or Reals resorted to this 'blueprint' tactics.

and more importantly why didn't guardiola just switch to plan b, get someone sent of and change the game? ???

it's as simple as that surely...

Guest Howaythetoon

Barcelona were very good and fully deserved their win but I don't think they were absolutely and totally great or anything. This is by their standards a very average Man Utd side, some would say a very poor one, and it says a lot about the mentality of their players and the manager himself that such an average or poor side actually caused Barca problems, managed to score and won the title and reached the CL final in the first place. The Man Utd side of 99 would have given this Barca side a good game. In fact the best club game outside of any Toon match that I've ever seen was Barca 3 man Utd 3 that very year at Camp Nou. The game in which Rivaldo scored an over-head kick.

Guest elbee909

They didn't really cause that many problems, one shot on target or something wasn't it?

Yeah, no corners, and something like 30-odd percent possession.

Guest firetotheworks

I have to say like. I watched this in Yates's and although I love the way Barcelona play, the way that these annoying little cunts at the bar were celebrating like Barcelona fans made me want them to die in a house fire.

Guest BooBoo

Barcelona were very good and fully deserved their win but I don't think they were absolutely and totally great or anything. This is by their standards a very average Man Utd side, some would say a very poor one, and it says a lot about the mentality of their players and the manager himself that such an average or poor side actually caused Barca problems, managed to score and won the title and reached the CL final in the first place. The Man Utd side of 99 would have given this Barca side a good game. In fact the best club game outside of any Toon match that I've ever seen was Barca 3 man Utd 3 that very year at Camp Nou. The game in which Rivaldo scored an over-head kick.

You're right in that its a failry mediocre Man Utd side. Take out Rooney and Vidic and I'm not sure who in that side is a currently a top class player, and I still wouldnt put either in a World XI.

There's a lad on here whose a Man Utd and said yesterday the side hadnt really been weakened since the game in Rome. Nonsense I'm afraid, in Ronaldo they had a world class player (who they comically replaced with Michael Owen) and Tevez who is fomiddable striker. Losing one of them would be an almighty blow but to lose two is crippling, especially if Ferguson is serious about taking on Barcelona.

There were a few players out in white shirts last night, that shouldnt have been anywhere near such a game. Carrick, Fabio, Valencia, Hernandez, all good at their day job when it comes to sinking the likes of Blackburn and Blackpool but put them up against the best and they look very ordinary players. Yesterday for Man Utd they simply had only one game changer in Rooney (who was by miles their best player) and a bench with few genuine options.

Ferguson will regret not winning more CL titles, his own stubborness has held him back this time though. The Ronaldo money should have been invested on premium level players, rather than the roundheads who bobbed about Wembley last night.

You're right in that its a failry mediocre Man Utd side. Take out Rooney and Vidic and I'm not sure who in that side is a currently a top class player, and I still wouldnt put either in a World XI.

There's a lad on here whose a Man Utd and said yesterday the side hadnt really been weakened since the game in Rome. Nonsense I'm afraid, in Ronaldo they had a world class player (who they comically replaced with Michael Owen) and Tevez who is fomiddable striker. Losing one of them would be an almighty blow but to lose two is crippling, especially if Ferguson is serious about taking on Barcelona.

There were a few players out in white shirts last night, that shouldnt have been anywhere near such a game. Carrick, Fabio, Valencia, Hernandez, all good at their day job when it comes to sinking the likes of Blackburn and Blackpool but put them up against the best and they look very ordinary players. Yesterday for Man Utd they simply had only one game changer in Rooney (who was by miles their best player) and a bench with few genuine options.

Ferguson will regret not winning more CL titles, his own stubborness has held him back this time though. The Ronaldo money should have been invested on premium level players, rather than the roundheads who bobbed about Wembley last night.

:thup:

Agree with all of that.

Guest Howaythetoon

I agree, although I don't even think Rooney these days is quite in that bracket as one of the best players in the world such has been his poor form for a while now. He scored but he did little else for me. Vidic is arguably the only true world-class player at Man Utd today, the rest being either very good like Ferdinand and Nani or extremely average like Fletcher etc.

I think you're right in that Fergie will look back at his career and question why he didn't win more CL trophies. Not replacing Ronaldo and Tevez, although how you do that, hasn't helped and neither has the exclusion of Berbatov who would have freed up Rooney for me and is someone who would have given the Man Utd midfield something to hit and the ball would have stuck far more with him than say Rooney on his own or the extremely limited Hernandez, basically a fit and sharp Owen of a few years back.

Still, it says a lot about Fergie that he has taken such an average side to such heights, winning a 19th title and his 4th European Cup final. The man is still one of the best and I wouldn't bet against him rebuilding another top Man Utd side. Although not one that will ever compete with this Barca side because they are simply the best and you just have to admit that and hold your hands up that such a side is always going to come out on top 9 times out of 10 even against good and great sides.

Guest BooBoo

Man Utd still pack the fear factor and that's reflected in their incredible home form this season. Too many sides go to Old Trafford with a losing mentality. Blackpool went, had a go, landed some punches but lost. Most sides wont event do that.

Their home form this year was so strong, it masked over a fairly average record on the road which gave a better insight into the true quality of the current side. They couldn't get past a whole host of mediocre PL sides away from their comfort zone, what hope did they have against Barcelona?

Guest BooBoo

I would have rated Man Utd at:

VDS 5, Fabio 5, Evra 5, Vidic 6, Ferdinad 6, Carrick 3, Valencia 3, Giggs 4, Park 5, Hernandez 3, Rooney 7.

Man Utd just weren't good enough. As good as Fergie is, it's the second time that he's been outwitted by Guardiola, and he can, again, have absolutely no complaints about the result. This was worse than '09, statistically (shots, corners, fouls, possession) and qualitatively (Man Utd's goal was against the run of play, they never had a shot on target after). Fergie's team selection was expected, but he probably made the mistake by not deciding whether to defend very deep or to try to play an expansive game. He went for a bit of both and ended up in the middle - a team with a midfield that couldn't keep the ball well enough nor press well enough to retrieve possession. He benched Nani, signalling a more defensive outlook, but he also played Hernandez, who was obviously going to struggle without service. It's a credit to him and his philosophy that he didn't follow the Mourinho formula. He probably thought about it, but it's just not the way he's done things for the past 25 years and if he had lost in front of millions of people with a team defending 11 men deep in their half, it would have been even more humiliating. Fergie's better than that and unfortunately believed his players were better than were, which is why he didn't have someone man-mark Messi; that was a critical error. His tactic was to press high and deny Barca the chance to build from the back, which worked for the first 10 minutes, but then Barca's midfield settled, Messi dropped deeper to offer an outlet and Man Utd never really had a shot at it after.

This was a Barca side determined to make history. This was their season to confirm that they are the greatest club side ever. The pressure's been on them since the start of the season, since they beat Madrid 5-0 then Arsenal 3-1. If they had lost today, they could never claim that this was their era because Man Utd would have had two CLs in their era, both times beating them (08 in the semis and 11 in the final). They had to win yesterday because it was the final, and they had to win yesterday because their opponents have been the second strongest football team over the past 5 years (3 CL finals, 4 Premiership titles). It was the perfect opponent for them to crown their season and they did it with a great performance.

It was match that lived up to the hype, for me. Barca played like they expected and dominated like expected, but the best part was the lack of shenanigans, diving and all the other shit that dominated the four Clasicos. I think it's pretty clear now that the common denominator in all the bullshit is Mourinho as Barca yesterday won the match as clearly and cleanly as you'd want . It was a match without refereeing controversy, which was quite good to see seeing as both sides have a reputation for pressuring the ref. The ref actually did a good job in keeping his cards in the pocket and generally let the game flow. I suppose both sides also deserve credit for not committing niggly fouls and being intent on playing, and not defending.

How many fouls did Valencia commit before he got booked? :lol:

He had a particularly abysmal game. And he was supposedly one of the main weapons they had.

His reluctance to use his left foot is a detriment to his game imo.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think Fergie got his team wrong and badly. I'd have played Berbatov up top by himself with Nani left, Rooney right and packed the midfield with Park, Carrick and Giggs centrally.

Guest palnese

VDS 5, Fabio 5, Evra 5, Vidic 6, Ferdinad 6, Carrick 3, Valencia 3, Giggs 4, Park 5, Hernandez 3, Rooney 7.

Would agree. Maybe give Evra a 6 and Ferdinand a 5.

Evra 6? Really? He was involved in all three goals.

Would agree. Maybe give Evra a 6 and Ferdinand a 5.

Evra 6? Really? He was involved in all three goals.

True. Proves he didn't hide i guess :lol: