Barcelona win Champions League Final 10/11

Taylor Swift
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ferguson will not get a wink of sleep tonight for cursing the decision to play Valencia who simply had an appalling evening.

And for leaving Hernandez on that long. Berbatov could have made such a difference.

Seriously, the midfield wasn't existent today.

Makes sense though. Carrick, Anderson, Park, Valencia, Nani, OAP versions of Giggs and Scholes, Fletcher, etc, that is actually a pretty mediocre selection if we're talking about the highest levels, especially with Giggs and Scholes on their last legs. Barely top 4 Premiership material imo, and has been carried in the league by the defence/strikers (hence why this title winning ManU side are generally considered to be a very weak one, usually they've been outplayed but somehow scraped a win). Up against one of the best midfields of the modern era, they never stood a chance.

remember discussing that very issue on here after the 2009 final. was convinced fergie would go out and replace the likes of Carrick. Not addressing that issue for 2 years, with Anderson failing to improve and Giggs and Scholes finished, means the problem has only gotten bigger and bigger. could convincingly say they need 3 new midfielders now - defensive upgrade on Fletcher and Carrick, Scholes replacement and a ball playing midfielder a la modric.

he had a meeting with his scouts last night, need to buy 3 or 4 players.

Again, I believe tonight's game has showed how inferior the premiership is nowadays.  Our teams just aren't good enough when our friends on the continent are technically better.  Look at the uefa cup, only 1 English team has won it in last 15-20 years I believe (Liverpool in 2001).

You can cherry pick whichever statistics you want.  Another one is that there has been at least 1 English teams in 5 of the last 6 European Cup finals.

And most English teams treat the Europa League like a total inconvenience these days so what you're saying proves very little.

No it doesn't.  Prove it hat English teams treat it as nothing.  As this season both Liverpool and city got knocked out playing their full teams.

Those champs league statistics shows dominance of top 4 especially man utd in that time.

Fact is though, the premiership is not the full hurrah many think it is.  It is one of the best but it isn't certainly the standout league many think it is.

Again you're choosing to ignore certain things, such as how ridiculously dominant Barcelona and Real Madrid now are in the Spanish league.

The top 6 in England is pretty fucking good if you ask me.  Barcelona are just streets ahead of anyone at the minute though.

Yes but again you are just looking at the stats regarding the champs league.  The uefa cup for me is a measure of how the league is past the top 4.  Real and barca are dominant, but so have Chelsea and Man Utd for which has passed some people by.

The gap is far wider in Spain though.  Barcelona finished 25 points clear of 3rd place and 34 points clear of 4th.  Incidentally Rangers finished 'only' 32 points clear of 4th place in Scotland, a league rightly regarded as the most laughable 2 horse race going.

Whereas Man Utd finished 12 points clear of Arsenal in fourth.  The Premier League is far tighter and I don't think you can argue that those outside of the top 2 (Man City, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool) are not good teams. 

I really don't think the UEFA cup proves much at all.  The only 2 English teams to have made the final of that competition in the last few years are Middlesbrough and Fulham, who weren't even performing that well in the Premier League at the time but they did choose to go for it.

Guest BooBoo

Ferguson will not get a wink of sleep tonight for cursing the decision to play Valencia who simply had an appalling evening.

And for leaving Hernandez on that long. Berbatov could have made such a difference.

Hernandez and Giggs were invisible all night. Only Rooney resembled anything like a threat to Barca.

It goes to show as well, whenever you ask the top players from abroad about what Englishman from the last decade they'd have had in their team above all, they all say Scholes. A midfielder whose technical ability in his prime meant he could actually live with the likes of Xavi.

None of them ever mention the likes of Gerrard.

remember when England played Spain in that friendly. some dickhead journalist asked Aragones what he was most covetous of in the england side. his answer? Attacking midfielders like Lampard and Gerrard. then his side with Xavi and Alson pissed on ours.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lG2iG7yr184/TcJ2vaWZYjI/AAAAAAAAAAU/kGh-Ab9KIkY/s320/troll-face.jpg

giggs should have been taken off long ago. Should have started with Nani instead of Valencia (was surprised he wasn't). Fergie put too much emphasis on work rate and tracking back. Just play your normal game ffs, exploit Barca through their flanks and/or play higher up the pitch to squeeze the space and thus make it harder for Xavi and co to dominate the midfield. Wenger did it, worked well in the first leg, Wilshere ran that game.

So maybe a midfield of Nani Scholes Carrick Park was better, imo.

It goes to show as well, whenever you ask the top players from abroad about what Englishman from the last decade they'd have had in their team above all, they all say Scholes. A midfielder whose technical ability in his prime meant he could actually live with the likes of Xavi.

remember when England played Spain in that friendly. some dickhead journalist asked Aragones what he was most covetous of in the england side. his answer? Attacking midfielders like Lampard and Gerrard. then his side with Xavi and Alson pissed on ours.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lG2iG7yr184/TcJ2vaWZYjI/AAAAAAAAAAU/kGh-Ab9KIkY/s320/troll-face.jpg

Was that the one at the Bernabeu? When Rooney lost his rag and almost sent Casillias into the stand?

We were totally outclassed that night.

Did Del Horno score as well?

Based on what though? Why is it so hard to accept that there is literally nothing Fergie could have done to avoid ManU being fiddled around like a baby violin in a paedo ward?

Berbatov would have been marked out of the game by Pique. Nani would have been shut out by Abidal, and if not, would have done sod all anyway as he's too wild/raw/inconsistent (hence why he's often behind Park and Valencia in the starting lineup). If Fergie had made his substitutions at half time, or 5 minutes after half time or 10 minutes....etc etc, Barcelona would still have run rings around them. There is nothing they could have done tactically to stop this side, other than to park the team bus in front of goal and play dirty like a Mourinho team would. Which Fergie tried a few years ago and got criticised heavily for when it failed.

Was that the one at the Bernabeu? When Rooney lost his rag and almost sent Casillias into the stand?

We were totally outclassed that night.

Did Del Horno score as well?

:snod: mind you the spanish fans didnt cover themselves in glory...

Guest neesy111

Again, I believe tonight's game has showed how inferior the premiership is nowadays.  Our teams just aren't good enough when our friends on the continent are technically better.  Look at the uefa cup, only 1 English team has won it in last 15-20 years I believe (Liverpool in 2001).

You can cherry pick whichever statistics you want.  Another one is that there has been at least 1 English teams in 5 of the last 6 European Cup finals.

And most English teams treat the Europa League like a total inconvenience these days so what you're saying proves very little.

No it doesn't.  Prove it hat English teams treat it as nothing.  As this season both Liverpool and city got knocked out playing their full teams.

Those champs league statistics shows dominance of top 4 especially man utd in that time.

Fact is though, the premiership is not the full hurrah many think it is.  It is one of the best but it isn't certainly the standout league many think it is.

Again you're choosing to ignore certain things, such as how ridiculously dominant Barcelona and Real Madrid now are in the Spanish league.

The top 6 in England is pretty fucking good if you ask me.  Barcelona are just streets ahead of anyone at the minute though.

Yes but again you are just looking at the stats regarding the champs league.  The uefa cup for me is a measure of how the league is past the top 4.  Real and barca are dominant, but so have Chelsea and Man Utd for which has passed some people by.

The gap is far wider in Spain though.  Barcelona finished 25 points clear of 3rd place and 34 points clear of 4th.  Incidentally Rangers finished 'only' 32 points clear of 4th place in Scotland, a league rightly regarded as the most laughable 2 horse race going.

Whereas Man Utd finished 12 points clear of Arsenal in fourth.  The Premier League is far tighter and I don't think you can argue that those outside of the top 2 (Man City, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool) are not good teams. 

I really don't think the UEFA cup proves much at all.  The only 2 English teams to have made the final of that competition in the last few years are Middlesbrough and Fulham, who weren't even performing that well in the Premier League at the time but they did choose to go for it.

Of-course the gap is much smaller, because we've just seen how much better Barcelona are than the best team in England.  I think the gap would be similar if not wider if Barcelona and Real Madrid were to compete in the premiership actually looking at how barca have completely utterly outplayed Arsenal and Man Utd this season.

Don't think it's possible to discern which league is stronger just from going from the top sides. Arguing around that seems a little futile IMO.

As ever, I think we should scrap the Euros for a Prem-La Liga battle. :fwap:

Again, I believe tonight's game has showed how inferior the premiership is nowadays.   Our teams just aren't good enough when our friends on the continent are technically better.  Look at the uefa cup, only 1 English team has won it in last 15-20 years I believe (Liverpool in 2001).

You can cherry pick whichever statistics you want.  Another one is that there has been at least 1 English teams in 5 of the last 6 European Cup finals.

No it doesn't.  Prove it hat English teams treat it as nothing.  As this season both Liverpool and city got knocked out playing their full teams.

Fact is though, the premiership is not the full hurrah many think it is.  It is one of the best but it isn't certainly the standout league many think it is.

The top 6 in England is pretty f***ing good if you ask me.  Barcelona are just streets ahead of anyone at the minute though.

Yes but again you are just looking at the stats regarding the champs league.  The uefa cup for me is a measure of how the league is past the top 4.  Real and barca are dominant, but so have Chelsea and Man Utd for which has passed some people by.

What is the record of  3rd & 4th in La Liga in the CL? So your basing the strength of La Liga on the clubs that finish 5th, 6th & 7th in that league & then how well they do in the Europa/UEFA cup.

Barca & Real blast through that league like Rangers & Celtic do the SPL. While on about the SPL both Rangers & Celtic have got to two recent Europa finals while no teams from France or Holland have is the SPL better than Ligue 1 & Erasdivse?

Also you do realise the year Atlético Madrid beat Fulham in the final it was because they got knocked out the CL early doors.

The top 6 in England is pretty f***ing good if you ask me.  Barcelona are just streets ahead of anyone at the minute though.

What is the record of  3rd & 4th in La Liga in the CL? So your basing the strength of La Liga on the clubs that finish 5th, 6th & 7th in that league & then how well they do in the Europa/UEFA cup.

Barca & Real blast through that league like Rangers & Celtic do the SPL. While on about the SPL both Rangers & Celtic have got to two recent Europa finals while no teams from France or Holland have is the SPL better than Ligue 1 & Erasdivse?

Also you do realise the year Atlético Madrid beat Fulham in the final it was because they got knocked out the CL early doors.

You already know the answer to that question

Guest neesy111

The top 6 in England is pretty f***ing good if you ask me.  Barcelona are just streets ahead of anyone at the minute though.

What is the record of  3rd & 4th in La Liga in the CL? So your basing the strength of La Liga on the clubs that finish 5th, 6th & 7th in that league & then how well they do in the Europa/UEFA cup.

Who beat Liverpool in the semi's who had also got knocked out of champs league.

Well, this is why you have the uefa coefficient system for countries based upon their teams performances in Europe.  This system has just knocked italy's 4th champs league place to Germany for season after as well.

No complaints about that final. Good game to watch. Wanted ManU to win and they did well to get back into to but there's no contesting the eventual winner.

Who beat Liverpool in the semi's who had also got knocked out of champs league.

Well, this is why you have the uefa coefficient system for countries based upon their teams performances in Europe.  This system has just knocked italy's 4th champs league place to Germany for season after as well.

England are top of that table, neesy. :lol: