Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Lille fans are definitely not happy with this potential transfer. It is odd though that a player who is guaranteed Champions League football next season would come here.

Lille fans reckon it's a money thing, hmmm.

Isn't playing in the Premier league more attractive than playing 6 games in the Champions league and playing in Ligue 1?

Good point. Ligue 1 is nowhere near the PL's standard - it's like the SPL imo.

Lille fans are definitely not happy with this potential transfer. It is odd though that a player who is guaranteed Champions League football next season would come here.

Isn't playing in the Premier league more attractive than playing 6 games in the Champions league and playing in Ligue 1?

:lol:

Not so sure that comparison works, the standard might not be as good as the PL but I'd fancy a lot of the French league to beat the dross that inhabits the SPL (Rangers and Celtic aside) plus Marseille, Bordeaux and Lille have all won the league, breaking Lyon's stranglehold on the title, even PSG could finish above Lyon if results go their way.

Nessy reckons the SPL is better the Ligue 1 check out recent UEFA cup finals for the reason why.

Not so sure that comparison works, the standard might not be as good as the PL but I'd fancy a lot of the French league to beat the dross that inhabits the SPL (Rangers and Celtic aside) plus Marseille, Bordeaux and Lille have all won the league, breaking Lyon's stranglehold on the title, even PSG could finish above Lyon if results go their way.

What I meant was that I think Ligue 1 is probably, football quality-wise, at a level similar to the SPL. But now that I think about it, it's probably fairer to say that Ligue 1 is probably at a level better than the Championship but still below the PL.

A few of the games I watched in France a couple of years ago were definitely more entertaining than a standard game in the Championship. 

Ligue 1 is the 5th best league in Europe, SPL is the 15th. Factomundo.

Ummm I thought we off how well clubs done in the Europa/UEFA cup.

Well you could but that'd be daft. UEFA Coefficient is a far better way of doing it.

What I meant was that I think Ligue 1 is probably, football quality-wise, at a level similar to the SPL. But now that I think about it, Ligue 1 is probably at a level better than the Championship but still below the PL.

A few of the games I watched in France a couple of years ago were definitely more entertaining than a standard game in the Championship. 

I take your point, but I just think the quality in Ligue 1, in the top half anyway, is a fair bit higher than the SPL.

What I meant was that I think Ligue 1 is probably, football quality-wise, at a level similar to the SPL. But now that I think about it, Ligue 1 is probably at a level better than the Championship but still below the PL.

I take your point, but I just think the quality in Ligue 1, in the top half anyway, is a fair bit higher than the SPL.

I agree with that, say you get Bordeaux against Motherwell. The Bordelais all the way really.

Like I've said, now that I've thought about it, I think it's fairer to say that Ligue 1 is probably at a level better than the Championship but still below the PL.

Guest MrSundlofer

40 minutes of Cabaye in Lille - Rennes = smart, elegant, a good passer of the ball, not to attacking, deep-lying playmaker, some excellent long balls.