Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

It was a yellow. The guy shouldn't have been rolling around like an idiot but Yohan shouldn't have given him the chance. Going in with an elbow raised  :no:... If he'd cut out some of the dirty stuff we'd have a near perfect player here. Some of that passing was incredible. 

Genuinely can't see why though, especially when he can hit a variety of other static and moving balls so beautifully. Feeling the pressure knowing how s*** we've been from them?

Harper was on BBC Newcastle before the game and was commenting on our corners being useless.  :lol:

Genuinely can't see why though, especially when he can hit a variety of other static and moving balls so beautifully. Feeling the pressure knowing how shit we've been from them?

Maybe all those floated set pieces to Williamson fried his brain.

Guest neesy111

Honestly his free-kicks which aren't direct and corners are the worse I've ever seen from anyone at this club.  I'd rather he was either in the box or outside the 18 waiting to pick up any pieces from them.

I want us to go back to Robert style corners, in-swingers that are hit at 100mph. They either ping off anyone in the area and go in or completely miss. Either way there is that bit of excitement.

Floating a ball in to be cleared by the first man is boring as fuck.

Laurent Robert :smitten:

Seriously the excitement he brought with every set piece. Always knew there was a chance of a goal and the opposition were terrified of giving away set pieces against us.

The inner thought of "okay now laurent...what the heck are you going to do this time?" One moment a low curler far corner/near post top corner or, screw it - just a Robert thunder bastard blast. :lol:

Laurent Robert :smitten:

Seriously the excitement he brought with every set piece. Always knew there was a chance of a goal and the opposition were terrified of giving away set pieces against us.

The inner thought of "okay now laurent...what the heck are you going to do this time?" One moment a low curler far corner/near post top corner or, screw it - just a Robert thunder b****** blast. :lol:

And he was shooting from them anywhere past the halfway line. :lol:

Laurent Robert.  :love:

Guest tollemache

Hmmm bit rose tinted... I also remember the roll-eyes when we'd get a freekick that was begging to be slung across the box or even played short thanks to being 48 miles from goal and over on the wing, and you just knew he'd probably pelt it at goal

Guest tollemache

Honestly his free-kicks which aren't direct and corners are the worse I've ever seen from anyone at this club.  I'd rather he was either in the box or outside the 18 waiting to pick up any pieces from them.

If there's anyone else at the club who can hit a decent corner (either of the fullbacks?) then I'd much rather Cabaye was waiting on the edge of the area, if only so it doesn't keep coming out to someone like Tiote who bizarrely thinks he can shoot

Hmmm bit rose tinted... I also remember the roll-eyes when we'd get a freekick that was begging to be slung across the box or even played short thanks to being 48 miles from goal and over on the wing, and you just knew he'd probably pelt it at goal

Yup when Robert was here, many (not me) were complaining on his corners and free kicks when they don't work out. Now that we don't have him or someone with his ability, people are saying how good they were. I had no problems with him taking on those shots, because when it did worked, it was a thing of beauty and that's what football is about, having memorable moments. Hate it when we just lump the ball with no direction from a corner and just hoping someone would attack it. Since we don't train (enough) on set pieces, everyone just stand around when a corner is taken. The weird thing is that Pardew acknowledged that this was one of our weaknesses and yet has done nothing to address it, which suggest to me that he has no clue on what needs to be done!

Hope he calms his temper, did little wrong for the booking though. Shouldn't have had his arm up there but was never what the rolling twat made it out to be.

He went in deliberately with his arm and even looked at the player as to where to land it.

Aye their player acted like a tart but he would never have had the opportunity to do so if Cabaye never acted petulantly.

Robert is my second favourite player ever. Remember him shooting from the halfway line against Leicester and drawing a decent save. Incredible.

And wasn't trying to exploit the keeper or anything, just blasted it. He did a similar thing against Derby in 01/02 when their keeper tipped it off the bar and out.

Went on to score a ridiculous free kick later on in that game.

Him and Bellamy have special places for me. So exciting to watch.