Yohan Cabaye retires

In a 4-4-2 you won't dominate possession against 3 opposition. Whenever it was 4-4-2 against 4-4-2 we looked very impressive because we saw more of the ball.

Last year we must've been the only side apart from Man Utd. in the top 8 who played with a 4-4-2. A real 4-4-2 at that. A good part of that success was down to Cabs/Tiote competing well against 3 rivals allowing us to utlilise the extra man up top.

No doubt they both play better with each other than without.

In a 4-4-2 you won't dominate possession against 3 opposition. Whenever it was 4-4-2 against 4-4-2 we looked very impressive because we saw more of the ball.

Last year we must've been the only side apart from Man Utd. in the top 8 who played with a 4-4-2. A real 4-4-2 at that. A good part of that success was down to Cabs/Tiote competing well against 3 rivals allowing us to utlilise the extra man up top.

No doubt they both play better with each other than without.

Last year we grinded out games and relied on Ba's ability t score out of nothing to win football matches. There wasnt one convincing performance until we beat West Brom Away. the 4-3-3 then began to click and we played some nice stuff.

Whilst I basically agree, there was much more to it. One of which is Cabaye/Tiote competing well against 3 men often. Dominate? No. Compete well? Yes.

This allowed us to utilise a real strike partnership. Ba combined very well with Best and Shola. The presence of Best/Shola allowed Ba to feed off flick-ons and th extra space in the box as we would always at least have two in there. By February Best/Shola/Ba had scored something like 20 league goals.

We were easily the best side from start to finish; Tiote was f***ing immense.

:snod: Tiote put in one of the best games I've seen any of our players play in a long time. The YouTube vid of him that game is awesome.

That's one of my go-to videos whenever I've had a few too many and want to explain to my non-toon friends that we are (sometimes) a very decent side.

Won't escape criticism from me. He needs to influence games a lot more than what he has shown in his time here.

He's a player that comes-up with a moment of brilliance every now and then, but he simply doesn't impose himself as much as he should in open play.

I can see why some people think he's overrated..... I'd certainly think that way if he was playing for some other club. (And also a bit of a dirty twat, tbh.)

Pardew's tactics doesn't help, mind.

Not sure they excuse that cross like, if Cabaye is unhappy about us creating enough he really shouldn't waste the rare opportunity we get like that :lol:

Pardew's tactics doesn't help, mind.

Not sure they excuse that cross like, if Cabaye is unhappy about us creating enough he really shouldn't waste the rare opportunity we get like that :lol:

When did I say or imply that? :lol: I was on about not having players ahead of him that are constantly troubling their markers with runs and movement.

In other words, not playing in a tactical system that encourages a little bit of pass and move football...... or even passing the ball along the ground! It's all this diagonal, hopeful ball bollocks.

Guest neesy111

Thought he was very poor again.  I don't buy into the hype that some buy into him.  Plays far too deep and chases the game too much for such a technically gifted footballer.

Whether its the formation or personnel that's doing it is up to debate.

Please stop taking corners and non strike on goal set pieces you massively frustrating kernt.

Thought he hit a couple of half-decent inswinging corners in the second half or was someone else taking them?

Please stop taking corners and non strike on goal set pieces you massively frustrating kernt.

Thought he hit a couple of half-decent inswinging corners in the second half or was someone else taking them?

Not from my side with any decency . Even if he did, the lack of quality it infuriating knowing how well he can strike a dead ball. Best corners (poor accolade) came from the lefties.

Cabaye: "I'm Proud Of This Club"

By Dan King - Newcastle United Club Reporter

Stand-in skipper Yohan Cabaye spoke of his pride following Newcastle's gallant Europa League quarter-final exit to Portuguese giants Benfica.

Despite slipping to a somewhat harsh 3-1 defeat at the Estadio da Luz seven days earlier, United never stopped believing and when Papiss Cisse scored in the 71st minute at the St. James' Park, the Magpies dared to dream.

Alas, they could not find the second goal they needed and in stoppage time conceded an equaliser to finally kill off any hope. After 14 European matches, starting with a trip to Atromitos in August, their adventure is finally over but Newcastle bowed out with their heads held high.

Cabaye epitomised that mood as he emerged from the dressing room to speak to nufc.co.uk with the pain of defeat evident in his face but pride in his eyes.

"We gave everything on the pitch," he said. "We played well and we followed the plan. When we were winning 1-0, they were scared about the second goal we were close to.

"Unfortunately we couldn't do it. That is football but we have gained a lot of experience tonight because the game was good to play in and trying to claim back two goals is a good experience for the young players.

"Playing in an atmosphere such as tonight was unbelievable. When Papiss scored, everyone was thinking that we could do it. We had a chance at the end but unfortunately we didn't score again so we are sad tonight.

"It wasn't enough to go through but I think we have to be proud of our game tonight and now just look forward to Sunday and keep the crowd behind us for this big game."

Wearing the armband on such an occasion was something the France international was honoured to do, even if he couldn't quite inspire his men to the result they worked so hard for.

And now the midfielder, who scored in October's draw with Sunderland, is focused on another huge match: this weekend's Tyne-Wear derby.

He said: "The experience for me was fantastic, being the captain of this team.

"I am proud of this football club, proud of everyone. The fans were amazing so I can't wait for Sunday's game and the derby.

"I just want to win the game to move up the table but also for us and for the fans."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20130412/cabaye-im-proud-of-this-club_2281670_3141008?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Thought he was very poor again.  I don't buy into the hype that some buy into him.  Plays far too deep and chases the game too much for such a technically gifted footballer.

Whether its the formation or personnel that's doing it is up to debate.

"Plays far too deep" this is because Pardew, or the defenders we have(?), must ask for both his sitting midfielders to bring the ball out instead of a central back or full back who should be capable of moving up the pitch (at least half way) before needing to pass it to Cabaye. From here he would certainly have more impact on the game...

Watch any of the top four sides from prem, la liga, italy whatever, they all are capable of spreading along the back and progressing up the field before the pass into midfield. Basic football, which we are incapable of implementing...

Guest icemanblue

He took a little moment, staring into the Gallowgate, after they scored. Not surprised he's talking about pride in that interview.

Last night he had to come deeper because of the pressure they put us under and the lack of options further forward. He was doing it to keep possession.

I don't think he had a great game though, at times he looks like he's trying too hard and is a bit frustrated.