Yohan Cabaye retires

Cabaye will probably benefit massively from having this summer off. Been playing almost non-stop for ages now, used to a winter break in France and coming back quickly from surgery etc. Mentally as well as physically, I think he'll come roaring back next season.

No, because Pardew.

Getting the hang of this, like.

:lol:

Cabaye had 2 months off when he was injured fwiw. He was probably running non-stop on a treadmill the whole time though.

I'm not a professional athlete but I would imagine there's a notable difference between being out injured and off-season.

Cabaye had 2 months off when he was injured fwiw. He was probably running non-stop on a treadmill the whole time though.

I'm not a professional athlete but I would imagine there's a notable difference between being out injured and off-season.

Either way he wasn't playing any football for 2 months so I don't know how he remained so tired during that period.

He has only played in about half our games this season too, which is less than I though he had.

Wasn't it during that period that he's admitted to being very down though? I don't think he needs excuses made for him, he's a big boy and there are elements of his game that haven't been up to scratch, I just think the break will do him good.

Doesn't matter if he has a year off, he's still going to be asked to chip long balls over the top and therefore not going to shine.

I expect him to leave this summer mainly because I suspect he feels lied to about the team he was joining. He's said many times early on that it was the promise of an attacking game on the deck that brought him here yet he's playing for the most negative and long ball side in the division.

Sissoko      Tiote

HBA Cabaye  Marveaux (Preferably new attacker)

Cisse

That's the role that I would like to see him tested in. He'd do less running playing in the hole but he'd probably still drop a little bit deeper and help-out the 2 CMs when required.

Thus far, in his NUFC career, "running the show" has not been one of Cabaye's strengths. He's a player that produces "moments of magic"; I hope playing him further up the park would put him in dangerous positions to produce those moments more frequently.

Said it before but that position is where his best form has come for us. Far more useful when he's sliding passes through for Cissé than he is when he's sitting deep and aimlessly lofting them into the box and hoping something will come of it. He's better at pressing higher up than Sissoko as well.

I bloody hope he swaps Sissoko and Cabaye at the very least, it's becoming more and more obvious that the former just isn't suited to the role he's playing. If he's genuinely going to stick to 4-2-3-1 then that link man is key, he needs to to be a player that makes the right decision the majority of the time.

Said it before but that position is where his best form has come for us. Far more useful when he's sliding passes through for Cissé than he is when he's sitting deep and aimlessly lofting them into the box and hoping something will come of it. He's better at pressing higher up than Sissoko as well.

And Sissoko is more capable of getting box to box. It's a no-brainer really, except maybe that Sissoko will be able to do less damage from wide positions.

Changing the line up (formation or otherwise) won't do anything until the players are coached properly and backed up by the proper game plan and tactics.

I disagree with that to a point. I think we'd naturally look a more dangerous side with Cabaye playing further up and Moussa running from deep and be more stable in the middle as well.

We're never going to have an attacking game plan under Pardew but some managers just believe in going out and letting players do what they want when they go forward, like Redknapp, so it's not the end of the world. But for a team like that to be successful, players need to be played in positions that bring out their natural talents.