Yohan Cabaye retires

Still think he'll be better next season with a full summer off. Obviously we need to use him more effectively though, and I don't see where our other midfielders fit into the same team at present.

Guest icemanblue

Still think he'll be better next season with a full summer off. Obviously we need to use him more effectively though, and I don't see where our other midfielders fit into the same team at present.

He's played as the furthest forward of a midfield three in our last few games, although not in the mangled 442 against QPR. Surely, next season, depending on player sales/purchases, Sissoko just fills in for Jonas's role in that three?

He's played as the furthest forward of a midfield three in our last few games, although not in the mangled 442 against QPR. Surely, next season, depending on player sales/purchases, Sissoko just fills in for Jonas's role in that three?

Why hasn't the manager tried that though, if it's so obvious?

[Enter generic comment about 'a tackle']

I hope so (EDIT: a reply to Dave in regards to Cabaye improving after a proper summer's rest) .  Even after what we've seen this season any talk of selling him on is madness.  We've seen he can be a great asset to the team last year, he's just got to get his head back into NUFC and prirmarily football itself.

Guest icemanblue

Because Sissoko has been injured, or played on the right wing? I'm not sure why I'm meant to answer that question, like. I'm not defending his inability to see that option, more providing an example how we can best utilise our midfielders, which was your question. Sissoko's great first couple of games as the furthest forward had obviously made Pardew play him there repeatedly, even though it was clear it was no longer working.

Because Sissoko has been injured, or played on the right wing? I'm not sure why I'm meant to answer that question, like. I'm not defending his inability to see that option, more providing an example how we can best utilise our midfielders, which was your question. Sissoko's great first couple of games as the furthest forward had obviously made Pardew play him there repeatedly, even though it was clear it was no longer working.

Cabs looked good in the middle of the 3 in the 4-2-3-1 last season. When he is further withdrawn, he gets lost. As good as he is, he is no Pirlo/Montolivo...he needs to dictate the game from further up, and let players like Tiote/Sissoko/Jonas fill the gap between defence and midfield.

It's either play him behind the striker, or go for a classic 4-3-3 with one player sitting and 2 either side. In our case:

Tiote

Cabaye        Sissoko

It'd hard to know with Cabaye, he looked brilliant when he came back from injury. He does seem a little less fit, he may still be injured but it's hard not to question his mental state after his comments earlier in the year about depression.

Alongside sissoko and someone else in mid he can be allowed more space and have to cover less ground, he's running himself into the ground too much and not had chance to just be our passing metrnome and make his great through balls

Cabaye is entrusted (or expected I suppose) to do too much with the ball when approaching their box, instead of letting him have the ball with a bit more space around him around the half way line and playing his game from there. The reason again is obviously the lack of a link in front of him. For all of the pretty good CMs we have, our CM has been canny woeful. There is a very good centre midfield waiting to happen in our team, we just need someone to get it right. It'll probably depend on what happens on the wings.

So defensive. :lol:

I wasn't particularly criticising Pardew in this instance, just genuinely saying I don't see it being that straightforward. Sissoko has only missed two games hasn't he? I don't know that much about him, so I don't know where he is best.

Guest icemanblue

So defensive. :lol:

I wasn't particularly criticising Pardew in this instance, just genuinely saying I don't see it being that straightforward. Sissoko has only missed two games hasn't he? I don't know that much about him, so I don't know where he is best.

Defensive? Fuck me, man. I'll just skip to critiquing your perceived posting style next time then. :lol:

Still not sure what Cabayes good at. He's not got a great engine nor is he very physical in the middle.

Is his passing that good? He tries some daft passes. His short range passing is ok but hardly breathtaking. He's hardly a threat at goal either.

In the back of my mind, all I can assume is that Pardew has tainted his game.

Still not sure what Cabayes good at. He's not got a great engine nor is he very physical in the middle.

Is his passing that good? He tries some daft passes. His short range passing is ok but hardly breathtaking. He's hardly a threat at goal either.

In the back of my mind, all I can assume is that Pardew has tainted his game.

It is at times, and he is when he's used in the correct position.  At the risk of sounding like a broken record, he's being criminally misused.

Guest hatem garrincha

He was awesome against Stoke last season, apart from that, he's been pretty average.

:facepalm: