Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

May i ask you a simple question ? : Do some of you have already seen Cabaye play ?? Because i have the feeling the answer is no, so i don't understand why you are so enthousiast lol

Don't hate me but i think gervinho won't come.

Still with the negativity mimi. Miss the old you tbh.

I'm really going to take offence...

Oh, please don't. You know I love you.

First I've watched him, have to agree with those who said the match wasn't exactly played at a cracking pace - have to take that into account.  Still, looked awfully tidy.  Good range of passing, it would appear - he kept the moves going when needed, had more than one excellent long ball.  Dropped deep at times, went forward when necessary.  Seems a natural fit to go alongside Tiote and form a nice platform upon which players like Ben Arfa, etc. can operate. 

Apparently can take a good set piece, too.  For 4.4 million or whatever it is, seems a bargain.

What's he like energy and athleticism-wise?

First I've watched him, have to agree with those who said the match wasn't exactly played at a cracking pace - have to take that into account.  Still, looked awfully tidy.  Good range of passing, it would appear - he kept the moves going when needed, had more than one excellent long ball.  Dropped deep at times, went forward when necessary.  Seems a natural fit to go alongside Tiote and form a nice platform upon which players like Ben Arfa, etc. can operate. 

Apparently can take a good set piece, too.  For 4.4 million or whatever it is, seems a bargain.

What's he like energy and athleticism-wise?

Couldn't tell from todays game, unfortunately. He's no midget, nor is he a beast, looks average built for a footballer :dontknow:

Yeah, he didn't need to expend a lot of energy today so I wouldn't feel comfortable making any kind of judgement on that.  Doesn't seem to have the game that would necessitate a lot of pace.  Just passes and moves - does seem to make himself available quite a lot, similar to Tiote.  I would think with those two, we'd be 10000x more comfortable in possession than with some of the other midfield options we have.

According to RMC (via someone on that forum) we're paying him circa £85k per week.

???

:lol:

No chance. £85k a month perhaps.

'€400,000 per month, four times his Lille salary announced on RMC'

He's a fantastic player - but he's just not physical enough for the style of play that Newcastle are known for. He's going to get beat up quite a bit in the Premiership. I hope he can adjust since the sky is the limit for the youngster. The substitution really was tough to watch.

He has fantastic control for a such a youngster - and he's one of the few in France this season that could really control a game from the holding role (he's like M'Vila and Kallstrom in that sense).

I understand what Newcastle see in the kid - he's going to be a star. With that said, I can see this turning out the wrong way unless Cabaye puts on a bit of muscle in the off-season in order to take the hits. He's used to hearing about Rennes as a physical side - hah, just wait till he meets Stoke...

I was actually just about to bring that first point up. He's not as physical as Newcastle are used to in their midfield but he does have an excellent range of passing and solid technique, which will counter act this. When he does have the ball, he can get it away smartly and quickly and will get goals from set-pieces as well as creating them from corners.

At 25, he wants something fresh in his career and, whereas he will miss out on the prospect of playing in the Champions League, he'll earn himself a pretty penny in the Premier League.

From another forum, second guy is a Lyon fan that has him under the 'favourite players' section of his profile.

Personally I think physique will make no difference. If the ability is there he will shine, especially alongside somebody like Tioté.

Guest mimifrench

I've never said Cabaye was a bad player, he is good in Lille. But honestly i didn't follow regularly Lille's team this season.

He'll be good for your team but don't forget he'll had to adapt to the premier league first...

But i have to say it surprises me the "link" between Newcastle and french players... it is good

He's a fantastic player - but he's just not physical enough for the style of play that Newcastle are known for. He's going to get beat up quite a bit in the Premiership. I hope he can adjust since the sky is the limit for the youngster. The substitution really was tough to watch.

He has fantastic control for a such a youngster - and he's one of the few in France this season that could really control a game from the holding role (he's like M'Vila and Kallstrom in that sense).

I understand what Newcastle see in the kid - he's going to be a star. With that said, I can see this turning out the wrong way unless Cabaye puts on a bit of muscle in the off-season in order to take the hits. He's used to hearing about Rennes as a physical side - hah, just wait till he meets Stoke...

I was actually just about to bring that first point up. He's not as physical as Newcastle are used to in their midfield but he does have an excellent range of passing and solid technique, which will counter act this. When he does have the ball, he can get it away smartly and quickly and will get goals from set-pieces as well as creating them from corners.

At 25, he wants something fresh in his career and, whereas he will miss out on the prospect of playing in the Champions League, he'll earn himself a pretty penny in the Premier League.

From another forum, second guy is a Lyon fan that has him under the 'favourite players' section of his profile.

Personally I think physique will make no difference. If the ability is there he will shine, especially alongside somebody like Tioté.

Was going to mention something similar. If the plan's to put him in a three with Tiote and Nolan, all of that should aid him and compensate for any lack of brute muscle, cos those two have it in abundance.

According to RMC (via someone on that forum) we're paying him circa £85k per week.

???

Has to be bollocks.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Was going to mention something similar. If the plan's to put him in a three with Tiote and Nolan, all of that should aid him and compensate for any lack of brute muscle, cos those two have it in abundance.

Shouldn't matter at all. He'll improve, if anything.

Guest elbee909

I think he could be our version of Modric, and he's not exactly a bruiser either.

???

Has to be bollocks.

Agree, but if not then you'd think it would take us into the market for a pretty high calibre of player.

The physical nature of the premier league is more about the pace of the game then it requiring any specific build. As long as you're sharp and quick there's no reason you can't do well.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I wouldn't worry about someone not being physical enough as long as they have decent pace and tecnique.