Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Guest icemanblue

fuck it i'll say it, there's a point in there somewhere for me about how players are more disposable nowadays than they were before

i'm not saying it's a good article but it's not 100% wrong by any means

The depressing thing is that the overall point it isn't wrong at all. Yes, there are some innacuracies in the article, and it's wrong that our supporters, as a whole, are being tarred with this image. However, a growing number of people are more concerned with huge fees for players, under the assumption that everyone can be easily replaced. A period of bad form means a player is 'shit', and we'd be 'robbing' the interested party wanting to pay £20m+ for this 'shit' player.

It's bollocks. More than likely the byproduct of a generation of Football Manager enthusiasts with massively unrealistic expectations.

fuck it i'll say it, there's a point in there somewhere for me about how players are more disposable nowadays than they were before

The depressing thing is that the overall point it isn't wrong at all. Yes, there are some innacuracies in the article, and it's wrong that our supporters, as a whole, are being tarred with this image. However, a growing number of people are more concerned with huge fees for players, under the assumption that everyone can be easily replaced. A period of bad form means a player is 'shit', and we'd be 'robbing' the interested party wanting to pay £20m+ for this 'shit' player.

It's bollocks. More than likely the byproduct of a generation of Football Manager enthusiasts with massively unrealistic expectations.

It's the willingness to sell on the basis of one bad season that gets me. But TBF not that many people are doing it.

:thup:

i disagree, unless you're referring specifically to what's said on this board, but in general i think there's an acceptance from fans of the realities of football these days...we all remember keegan having to defend the sale of cole on the steps but no-one gives enough fucks now because they know it's ultimately futile

the club isn't the fans', nor is it run for the fans, and the fans know it

EDIT:  what i'm saying is it's not just us, it's a wider thing...spurs sell a fans favourite every fucking summer after swearing to Odin they're definitely not going to but nobody cares, another player will come in and either be as good as the old one, better, or worse....it's irrelevant 'cause they can't change it

In a nut shell.

Well said Inochi - but I also want to add to that.  I think this also has to do with the mindset that has now been drilled into many of our supporters heads in regards to our current ambition.

People's expectations are lowering, and any sign of speculation people just assume player wants out, so get rid and sell; Carr will find a replacement and we'll move on.  The board has no doubt everyone on edge, and that is a bi-product of the Andy Carroll deal, every window we brace ourselves for a big transfer,  and we've also been fearing a fire-sale of all of our top players every single window as well: See Ben Arfa, Tiote, Ba, Cisse, Krul, and Cabaye rumors from last season.  But more than likely, the Carroll transfer seems more like a one-off and the rumors of a fire-sale are all classic press speculation.

I'm by no means justifying any of the comments or reactions above about selling our players; personally there are a few players I'd lose my shit over if we sold and one of those is Yohan, but I also refuse to fall into this lowered expectation crap that the board are peddling on us.

Aye blame computer games, nothing to do with the fans in the stands accepting shite performances week on week and still renewing the season after. If these top players are sold and say they aren't replaced, they still turn up and Ashley knows that (The only reason Ashley replaces is he is protecting his investment and doesn't want another relegation)

But of course its FM's fault  :lol:

Guest icemanblue

Aye blame computer games, nothing to do with the fans in the stands accepting shite performances week on week and still renewing the season after. If these top players are sold and say they aren't replaced, they still turn up and Ashley knows that (The only reason Ashley replaces is he is protecting his investment and doesn't want another relegation)

But of course its FM's fault  :lol:

How is that related to the article, or what I've said?

I'm afraid its yet another s**t national "journalist" basing his view of Newcastle fans on what is said on a few message boards and the views of the Sky Sport types outside St James' and deciding that ALL newcastle fans think the same. In my view, a more realistic appraisal of the majority of fans is that, if Cabaye wants to go, its hard these days to stop him (who wants an unhappy player - was always so) so we should screw whoever want s him for as much as we can - that's not to say we are happy with it, not at all. The "he's s**t anyway or He's not that good" arguement is more to do with covering disappointment and hurt - a bit like when you got dumped by the love of your life back in the day!

Guest strongbow69

there does seem to be a change In the general mindscape of fans that a player has a value now, meet the value sell the player "Its good business"

fuck that shit

The end result of the s**** being peddled on here on a daily basis.

I don't usually agree with you but here I have too, so much shit going on in here about being able to replace everyone. We should try and keep the squad as it is the most possible with 1 or 2 new players going in.

The end result of the s**** being peddled on here on a daily basis.

I don't usually agree with you but here I have too, so much shit going on in here about being able to replace everyone. We should try and keep the squad as it is the most possible with 1 or 2 new players going in.

Totally agree. We don't even really need to sell anyone for financial reasons, and their poor form surely makes massive bids unlikely for most of them.

Guest neesy111