Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

He's also a family man, small kid. So it's unlikely he'll be creating any unwanted headlines.

It's Newcastle man, he'll probably end up eating his kid alive.

It really irritates the f*** out of me that they're almost disgusted he's signing for us, tbh. I hate how if any half decent player has the audacity to NOT pick a 'top' club they are instantly labelled as unambitious or destroying their careers.

It's an absolute crock of s***, that kind of attitude. Typifies what a pile of s*** the modern game is.

Well said.

I guess we'd be p*ssed of if Enrique or Tiote joins someone who isn't a proper top club

Different scenario, but I see what you mean. I feel sorry for those Lille fans who are going to have their team plucked.

Guest firetotheworks

It's similar to our reaction when N'Zogbia joined Wigan, so I don't see the problem. We're the victors on this occasion, reap the rewards I say.

I know he's a simple doiloid who keeps selling our players on national television, but I gained a lot of respect for Merson after his comments...was it post-Chelsea game? Basically said Newcastle was a great club, with a great fanbase and said he doesn't see any reason why people like Tiote and Enrique should be trying to leave.

It's similar to our reaction when N'Zogbia joined Wigan, so I don't see the problem. We're the victors on this occasion, reap the rewards I say.

Wigan are probably the smallest club in the league though, Newcastle are a far bigger club than Lille (although the latter has/had a better team). Whichever way you look at it, this is a step up for the lad, not as high as he could probably go mind, but he's pretty much garenteed first team football which he wouldn't be at Arsenal.

Guest firetotheworks

Wigan are probably the smallest club in the league though, Newcastle are a far bigger club than Lille (although the latter has/had a better team). Whichever way you look at it, this is a step up for the lad, not as high as he could probably go mind, but he's pretty much garenteed first team football which he wouldn't be at Arsenal.

I'd agree if they hadn't just won the league and qualified for the champions league.

The thing is we're hardly a f***ing useless club, we've been s*** of late down to numerous reasons but we're by no means in the same litter of clubs such as Fulham, Stoke, West Brom and co that some clueless c***s try to put us in.

True. But you can't deny people with little or no knowledge of British football to find it weird that he's signing for a team finishing in 12th position instead of playing Champions League with a club hes been at for 12-13 years or so.

Exactly. During the Keegan days we developed a huge profile and back then no one would have batted an eyelid at a French international signing for Newcastle. WE have to rebuild that profile and hopefully these sort of signings will do that.

I sympathize. We'd be pretty p*ssed if Carroll went off and signed for Atletico Madrid or something.

Not me anyway. As long as we'd get the same amount of money I would "love" it if he signed for some random team I couldn't care less about.

He's been there 7 years and won all he can. He's moving to a club that's clearly been sold to him, has a great support, great stadium etc. This is not ruining his career.

:thup: I like the fact that it has been able to be sold to him. A very positive sign as to what this club could achieve if it stays on the right track. Big if of course, but still.

Our previous reputation cannot be great considering how some of our foreign players have panned out. Even here we've had a reputation of where a footballer goes to die, were changing but don't expect opinions to change as fast, especially abroad.

HBA treatment is probably the only positive to come out of the club and filter in to europe, apart from that there hasn't been much.

Lille's stadium is smaller than Pompey's man, they may be in the Champions League, and (until the end of this transfer window anyway) have a great little squad, but there not a 'big club' by any means, there going through a honey moon period and will probably be off the map within a year of 2. They havn't got the tools to keep this up imo, and this is probably what the players who are jumping ship see aswel.

Our previous reputation cannot be great considering how some of our foreign players have panned out. Even here we've had a reputation of where a footballer goes to die, were changing but don't expect opinions to change as fast, especially abroad.

HBA treatment is probably the only positive to come out of the club and filter in to europe, apart from that there hasn't been much.

Aye true, we've still managed to snatch a few highly rated players from abroad still over the past few years thoug, Enrique and Colo we're both very highly rated in Spain, and HBA in France (although his case was slightly differant). I do get the feeling that some players have this image of the club though.

tbf Lille have a better record of making it into Europe than we or most English clubs do this century. They will hardly fall off the map, Hazard is going to be moved for big money this season or next.

tbf Lille have a better record of making it into Europe than we or most English clubs do this century. They will hardly fall off the map, Hazard is going to be moved for big money this season or next.

So do Celtic and Rangers...

The French league isn't as poor as the SPL mind, but i'm guessing if you we're to ask 90% of non-french people who won the league, they'd say Lyon (ridiculously daft estimate).

Aye true, we've still managed to snatch a few highly rated players from abroad still over the past few years thoug, Enrique and Colo we're both very highly rated in Spain, and HBA in France (although his case was slightly differant). I do get the feeling that some players have this image of the club though.

Tbf, the money being offered at that time probably played a major part for the likes of Jose, Colo, as well as reputation. But overall I'd say right now it's probably about 50/50, some look at the failures and steer clear. Others will look at the cult heroes, the Nobbys, Roberts, Tino etc and see this is a (super-cliche) special club and city, with history and potential.