Yohan Cabaye retires

Blaming the manager is easy. 

That line :lol: When practically our whole team have been poor - of course it is. It's easy because is makes perfect sense. Mainly blaming each and every player on the other hand, is just daft.

:thup:

He's just as much to "blame" as the manager and the entire state of our club and squad. Last year was crap and so was practically everyone associated within the club, playing staff, coaching staff, and medical team.

If all of this press banter continues on about him wanting out, then let's just make sure it's to a club outside of England so we don't have to get p*ssed off every time he puts in a good performance or laugh when he puts in a bad one.

His "recruiting/selling" of our club to the French players is priceless to me; regardless a fantastic player who, if leaves, could have been a legend here. I really hope we don't sell him as I'd rather we keep our top players and push on with them as I've come to admire and enjoy many of our signings in the past few years.

Blaming the manager is easy. 

Well it is when he's a poor manager. Anyway we could debate the reasons for our team being utterly shite for hours but sarcastic - and fucking hilarious - comments like "None of it's the players fault. That would be impossible" are fucking pointless man, nobody believes Cabaye is world class but he's a very good player who we are failing to use correctly and who's form is suffering because of it. I don't really see what is actually meant to be "his fault"? His fault that he doesn't have the ability to become a player that he isn't?

Good post.

Reefa thats a very immature post. Of course players look worse in poor teams and with poor managers.

However Cabaye is massively overrated IMO.

I wouldn't use the word massively, but imo he is overrated. He can be a deadly player at times but when he's not in the game he really goes into his shell. As tidy as his passing usually is his long balls are often dreadful, swinging around all over the place in the air and never reaching supposed targets. And his delivery is just plain poor.

He's a good player but he got elevated to silly levels after his first season with us (imo)

Undoubtedly if he leaves he will look far better than he has here recently and will evolve as a player but I genuinely won't be that gutted to see him leave.

I genuinely don't know what to make of the enigma that is Cabaye.  He is clearly a very talented player, but, as others have pointed out, I am just not convinced that he will ever show his true potential in England.

I think if we got a bid of over £20 million for him, I wouldn't be that sad to see him leave.  Especially if he wants out.

If he went to Man Utd/City he'd be brilliant. Fact is the players around him aren't good enough.

That's the thing, we need someone who'll help us to dominate midfield, not someone relying on having quality to play off.

Disagree about Utd, like. He's not a Man U player.

Still a tough one. If we get 25m upwards for him it would be a difficult decision. He would be a Huge loss to the team.

However if we are picking up vainquer that 25m can be used on someone like siem de Jong that can offer some attacking threat through the middle. It's a risk losing our most creative deeplying playmaker. Maybe we think Anita, bigi, sissoko and Tiote will be enough?

Guest bimpy474

There some great views on what we need, more goals from midfield obviously, Siem de Jong mentioned, and quite rightly as he's cracking.

The one flaw though, Pardew. We can buy as many decent attacking players as we can get, it isn't really going to matter with his football ethos dictating our play.

Guest bimpy474

Better all stop posting and restrict the board to an Alan pardew thread then ;)

Point still stands though, our fly in the oinment is still here.  Fair point though. :lol:

There some great views on what we need, more goals from midfield obviously, Siem de Jong mentioned, and quite rightly as he's cracking.

The one flaw though, Pardew. We can buy as many decent attacking players as we can get, it isn't really going to matter with his football ethos dictating our play.

Personally i think that sort of midfield suits Pardew more than the current one.

Lets say for example we have Tiote, Sissoko, Anita and Bigi for the 2 CM spots. Then you get a more attacking midfielder like De Jong for example to play between the midfield 2 and Cisse with Hatem and maybe Aubameyang on the wings.

Isn't that something that is more direct and more up Pardew's street? i imagine a lot like Chelsea that the midfield 2 will be by passed a lot and the central attacking 3 behind Cisse will be trusted with almost all the creativity.

To me this sounds more direct, less technical and more counter attacking than the current set up and probably something which suits the manager more.

It also happens to be something i'd be ok with :lol:

Cabaye dont score enough goals, what other midfielder have we got that scored many goals last season? 

Why is he singled out?  what other midfielder we got that managed to complete a set of corner kicks consistently?  none.

We make excuses for Sissoko that he is playing furthest up in our midfield because he's not suppose to be that type of player.

yet we expect Cabaye to make marauding runs up field and score?  That is not his game either.

Guest bimpy474

Cabaye dont score enough goals, what other midfielder have we got that scored many goals last season? 

Why is he singled out?  what other midfielder we got that managed to complete a set of corner kicks consistently?  none.

We make excuses for Sissoko that he is playing furthest up in our midfield because he's not suppose to be that type of player.

yet we expect Cabaye to make marauding runs up field and score?  That is not his game either.

You misunderstood mate, your connecting Cabaye and the not enough goals. I meant we are short of goals in midfield overall. Cab's has been fine in that department but more from direct free kicks. I was more thinking along the lines of a player like de Jong or Lampard (as an example), who get double figures or more form midfield.

And i mean this as a de Jong alongside Cabaye not instead of him if possible.

You misunderstood mate, your connecting Cabaye and the not enough goals. I meant we are short of goals in midfield overall. Cab's has been fine in that department but more from direct free kicks. I was more thinking along the lines of a player like de Jong or Lampard (as an example), who get double figures or more form midfield.

nah mate i was just generalizing with a lot of recent posters that hasnt been satisfied with Cabaye.  Not a direct reply to you.  I agree with what you said. 

He's far better when he is advanced imo. That's when we see the best of him.

That's where his best form has come for us, against Swansea, Stoke and Liverpool but I'm no longer sure whether he's a good long-term fit there. Those games were quite open in terms of space and that suited his game, but I think against higher level opposition and teams that park the bus, he'll struggle due to his lack of ability to create space and hold on to the ball.

I'm really not sure how he can be best utilised here but I do think Marveaux and Ben Arfa should be ahead of him for that attacking midfielder role.

Guest bimpy474

nah mate i was just generalizing with a lot of recent posters that hasnt been satisfied with Cabaye.  Not a direct reply to you.  I agree with what you said. 

Ah right  O0