Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Think of Cabaye goes there could well be something in the Leroy Fer rumours - be a very dynamic midfield 3 with him, Sissoko and Anita/Tiote in there.

Is dynamic a new word for no creativity?

Cabaye was credited with 2 assists this season, hasn't been the creative force you might imagine. I just think if you have a midfield section with plenty of pace and power you free up more time and space for HBA and hopefully someone like PEA to provide the creativity.

I think Cabaye is a very intelligent player, he just doesn't really fit into an English team too well. He doesn't seem to like getting forward or making runs into the box, so he ends up playing behind Tiote which is fine for spraying around nice passes, but he's not a good tackler so ends up making lot of messy fouls when he's playing in that position. Maybe a different manager could set the team up to use him like a continental side would, that's the frustrating thing about Pardew, we'll just never know while he's here.

TRon is absolutely right here, like.

:dontknow:

I appreciate you may have glossed over that bit like and focused on the "getting forward" part.

Agree with the 70 minutes thing as well, but I assume that's because at that point of the game he's already covered more ground than most players do in the 90 given the amount of closing down and harrying he is expected to do in his role. As I've posted before in this thread, he covered more ground than anyone else in the league on a game-by-game basis in his debut season, while also making the most tackles in the division overall.

I may be being a bit overly-protective of him here while placing more than the fair share of the blame at Pardew's feet, but there are good reasons for that. Like I've said, I consider him the most complete footballer on our books (although it's a toss-up between him and Coloccini) and from what we've seen of him away from the field in the various French features he seems an absolute professional with his extra fitness training, learning the language so quickly, convincing others to come, etc. All of this, added to his general ability and apparent leadership role in the dressing room, make him someone I'd be devastated to lose.

I still think there's hope for Tiote too like, so what do I know?

Why did he score so few goals in France then, penalties excluded?

I thought he played just in front of the back four there? Afaik we've tried playing him pushed up near the top of the midfield, less time on the ball and less time to create and harder to get in the box as he's often the one playing the final ball? Just my thoughts.

I appreciate you may have glossed over that bit like and focused on the "getting forward" part.

Yeah I completely did. I actually think his tackling is OK.

:thup:

Why did he score so few goals in France then, penalties excluded?

I thought he played just in front of the back four there? Afaik we've tried playing him pushed up near the top of the midfield, less time on the ball and less time to create and harder to get in the box as he's often the one playing the final ball? Just my thoughts.

I think he's very well suited to the deep-lying playmaker position. It's just (as I've said a million times) not a position that is suited this league, with a few exceptions.

He had one season in France where he played a more advanced role and scored about 15 goals didn't he?

I reckon he has it in him.

Enough opportunities would pop-up for a slightly deeper playing midfielder to sneak into the box, espec sitting behind Gervinho (i can't remember the other attacker, in Lille's front 3.. was it Sow) running riot & drawing/committing defenders/disrupting defensive shapes.

He has it in him, and we have the attacking personnel (at least in potential, as a front 3) to unsettle defenses with passing & mivement, to allow a box-sneaker with technical ability to cash-in, but R.Garcia & Pardew's attacking philosophies are pole apart. Lille would sometimes walk the ball into the net, with their passing exchanges around the box.

Agree with Ronaldo, it's hard to see where he fits in here. He looked very good behind Cisse for a few games in 11/12 but it's probably not a long term solution and while he could play as a deep midfielder, I'm not sure we have the set up for it or that he can fulfil the defensive side. He doesn't have the physicality to be a box-to-box player either.

I really want him to stay, one of my favorite players on our books and one of my favorites in quite some time - but I've already built into my head that he was on the way out and any other outcome in our favor would be a huge transfer fee or he commits to the club. 

Guest chicken little

heard he wrote le m. ashley c'est vraiment un fat whopper, mais oui on one of the whiteboards