Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Box to box. Lol.

I miss Robert Lee and Gary Speed. Cabaye isn't fit to lick their underpants.

:lol: ok.

Lee and Speed were in a different league, yeah.

They were both far superior / rounded players. Cabaye is good don't get me wrong, but he has far too many off days, is weak, and the game bypasses him to much. Speed and Lee were both outstanding for us.

Not disagreeing with everything but to say that the game bypasses him to much is an absolute pisstake. Not his fault the ball flies over his head for 95% of the time.

Guest chopey

I agree with this, Cabaye cant be an influence in games when the ball is up in the air, but I still hate it when he floats set pieces in

Guest Howaythetoon

Doesn't help that we used Lee and Speed in their best roles.....

But yeah Cabaye's performances for this club don't come close to those two.

And that he those two had KK and Sir Bobby as their manager usually with a decent enough team around them, especially Lee...

Ronaldo is sort of right though, Cabaye is a good player, but he'd do well to become as good as Lee and Speed were.

Do think we haven't seen a fraction of what Cabaye's capable of yet, mostly down to our shit tactics. I think in the right role he could be great, though it it's fair to say he hasn't come close to matching Speed's performances (can't really speak about Lee as it was a bit before my time).

Box to box. Lol.

I miss Robert Lee and Gary Speed. Cabaye isn't fit to lick their underpants.

:lol: ok.

Lee and Speed were in a different league, yeah.

They were both far superior / rounded players. Cabaye is good don't get me wrong, but he has far too many off days, is weak, and the game bypasses him to much. Speed and Lee were both outstanding for us.

Yes. :thup:

Cabaye can't control a midfield anywhere near the way Speed could. :smitten:

Can't quite remember Lee as much (age reasons) but I'm fairly sure I'd say the same about him.

I think he could but not under this klutz of a manager, he would look a lot better under Sir Bobby IMO.

Speed was obviously the better player though.

Guest bimpy474

Speed and Lee were two of the most consistent players i've ever seen play for us, Cabaye is one of the more inconsistent.

Speed and Lee did have the advantage of being managed by Robson and Keegan, playing good attacking football and suited their games. Whereas Cabaye tbf to him, has to put up with a clueless coward with the tactical ability of General Custer.

Speed and Lee were two of the most consistent players i've ever seen play for us, Cabaye is one of the more inconsistent.

Speed and Lee did have the advantage of being managed by Robson and Keegan, playing good attacking football and suited their games. Whereas Cabaye tbf to him, has to put up with a clueless coward with the tactical ability of General Custer.

Yep, good points as well.

Lee and Speed man, my goodness what immense players.

Guest bimpy474

Yep, good points as well.

Lee and Speed man, my goodness what immense players.

I loved Rob Lee, just a great player  :smitten:

Can't quite remember Lee as much (age reasons) but I'm fairly sure I'd say the same about him.

I think he could but not under this klutz of a manager, he would look a lot better under Sir Bobby IMO.

Not sure I'd agree that Speed was better.

I know it all went south for him in the end but I thought Custer was quite a respected tactician?

Guest SweMatt

I loved to watch both Rob Lee and Speedo play. Both scored plenty of goals as well, but I think Cabaye - if played in the right position - can go on an be even better when it comes to goals and assists. 11 goals in 70 games so far is a better ration than both Lee and Speed.  :)

Guest bimpy474

I know it all went south for him in the end but I thought Custer was quite a respected tactician?

Splitting your men into three smaller groups against a overwhelming numbers wasn't his best move, it does tend to cloud your previous. Anyway Sam Elliott told Mel Gibson " Custer was a pussy, you aint" in We Were Soldiers. Hollywood's never wrong like :lol:

Splitting your men into three smaller groups against a overwhelming numbers wasn't his best move, it does tend to cloud your previous. Anyway Sam Elliott told Mel Gibson " Custer was a pussy, you aint" in We Were Soldiers. Hollywood's never wrong like :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_Mu%C3%B1ez

Speed was far, far more suited to the PL. He'd attack the ball, look to support the attack whenever he could, had a gorgeous range of passing and could tackle.

Guest bimpy474

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_Mu%C3%B1ez

I loved the first film, haven't bothered with the rest.

Guest bimpy474

Speed was far, far more suited to the PL. He'd attack the ball, look to support the attack whenever he could, had a gorgeous range of passing and could tackle.

And brilliant at attacking corners, what wonderful headers. Oh how i remember that after the shit we've seen from us in the last 2 years.

Oh, I thought he meant Speed was better than Lee. I haven't seen enough from Cabaye yet to think he's better than either.

Cabaye without a shadow of a doubt has superior passing/shooting technical ability than Lee/Speed had. His issues are consistency, fitness, and an inability to dribble or carry the ball effectively. But overall, if given let's say 8 seasons at St James' with at least 2/3 seasons in a quality attacking side surrounded by good movement (as Lee/Speed were), I think he'd be on a par with the both of them come retirement, albeit as a slightly different type of central midfielder.

Guest Howaythetoon

Cabaye without a shadow of a doubt has superior passing/shooting technical ability than Lee/Speed had. His issues are consistency, fitness, and an inability to dribble or carry the ball effectively. But overall, if given let's say 8 seasons at St James' with at least 2/3 seasons in a quality attacking side surrounded by good movement (as Lee/Speed were), I think he'd be on a par with the both of them come retirement, albeit as a slightly different type of central midfielder.

Lee was a superb exponent of shooting/passing. Sorry but Cabaye has nowhere near the same levels of ability when it comes to shooting and passing.

Oh, I thought he meant Speed was better than Lee. I haven't seen enough from Cabaye yet to think he's better than either.

Nah better than Cabaye mate, if you were to push me i'd say Lee is the best of the lot.