Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

I know it's been said before but the way he's playing i think he'd be mad to move 5 months before before the world cup. However the lure of a "big" club and a hefty pay rise could well tempt him. But like Disco said, a "big" club actually needs to bid. And apart from a monsense bid from Arsenal there's been nowt.

Our most effective midfield player since Rob Lee or am I forgetting someone ?

I would probably put Speed above him.

Don't think Speed had the same level of technique/on the ball ability as Cabaye.

He doesn't but he controlled midfield far better than Cabaye does, and that's what I'd look for first in a CM.

Agree with Tooj on technical ability but Speed disappeared far less than Cabaye imo.

So I agree with you both really, proper fence sitter me.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/pardew-s-message-to-psg-and-arsenal-target-cabaye-1-6335368

Pardew’s message to PSG and Arsenal target Cabaye

ALAN Pardew says he’s confident Yohan Cabaye will stay with Newcastle United – despite speculation that Paris Saint-Germain are ready to bid for the midfielder.

Cabaye – who scored in Newcastle’s Premier League away wins at Crystal Palace and Manchester United – has hit form for Pardew’s team in recent weeks.

And the 27-year-old – who tried to force through a move to Arsenal in the summer – has insisted he is now fully committed to the club, which is sixth in the table ahead of the Boxing Day home game against Stoke City.

However, the influential French sports newspaper L’Equipe has reported that PSG will bid for Cabaye in next month’s transfer window.

For his part, United manager Pardew is confident the France international – who wouldn’t have been guaranteed a start at Arsenal – is at the right cup in the build up to next summer’s World Cup finals in Brazil.

“I don’t fear losing Yohan,” said Pardew today. “What I know is that he is a fantastic footballer, and I think he’s improving.

“He’s in an environment where he has got pole position in my team.

“That’s nice for a player like him. You don’t always get that. You can get lost at other clubs.”

Cabaye joined Newcastle from Lille – where he won the French double – in the summer of 2011.

God how much we'd give for a owner prepared to see the chance we have to kick on from now, and willing to seize it and sign 2 top quality players. Not only to make our team/squad better but also give current players a massive boost and belief that we CAN reach the top 4 with a bit of luck and determination.

Hopefully he will have a cracking world cup and add on 10 mill to his value, I expect France to flop massively though.

I doubt it'll be because of him though, he'll bust a gut for them while Nasri bottles it

Aye, I remember a little while ago loads of French journalists voted him as the 2nd best player for the national team (Ribery swept up) because he was the one player you could rely on every time.

the french media think he's came on massively since coming here aswell, loads more to his game etc.

Better competition, more physical league, etc.

He doesn't but he controlled midfield far better than Cabaye does, and that's what I'd look for first in a CM.

Agreed. But tbf, that's not really been asked of Cabaye.

Though I think he is underrated as a defender.

Controlling midfield has never been asked of our best CM?

As I said in the rumours thread: -

PSG are in the Champions League and they will probably match any wages he could get elsewhere but would Cabaye want to go back to the French league at this point in his career? He has said himself that playing in the Premiership has improved him as a player. I can see him wanting to leave in the Summer if one of the top world sides comes in for him (unless by some miracle we qualify for the Champions League and he might decide to stay) but I doubt he'd want to leave in January with the World Cup coming up.

It would be a bit of a risk for Cabaye to move to PSG in January. He is a certain starter with us but would he be with PSG? He also has his place at the World Cup to worry about. Are his family happy here or would they prefer to move to Paris?

If Cabaye asks to leave at least we should get a lot of money for him and we won't have to face him in the league.

Controlling midfield has never been asked of our best CM?

In terms of controlling tempo, sure. In terms of physically controlling midfield ala Schweinsteiger (for example, not a comparison), I don't think so. Tiote's often tasked with that responsibility, even given license to push forward in that pursuit.

IMO, Cabaye's best position is still a bit further forward, creating chances, or as a deep-lying playmaker in a 3-man midfield.

I honestly don't know why PSG want him, will only stunt the process of Veratti and he's a very good footballer

1) He's French.

2) They need depth in CM. It'll help them compete in the Champions League.