Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Dyer's best form for us came in his 1st season imo.  I still don't know what his actual best position was.

I'd say just off the striker but it's a difficult one. God, how we craved this lad's return from injury, year after year after year. He gave us some canny moments like. I know he was integral to Bobby's demise, but not as integral as that cunt Shepherd, and I'll generally always have fond memories of Dyer.

His technique was under-rated. Very tidy first-touch and he had crisp short passing game. Had a fairly decent left-foot too. A level above your Moussa Sissoko's, Jack Colback, Tiote etc. his technique was as good as little Vurnon. His vision wasn't a strength but that's what Nobby was there for - and Nobby couldn't do what Dyer did so they complimented each other greatly.

"Just weren't good enough ultimately" sums up that entire team - it's a bit harsh to single out Dyer there. A lot of good to very good players, all of them lacked that bit to become real top class players except Shearer.

He's been gone what - 8 years? We've only had 1 CM that's been better in that period. A very hard lad to like of course.

His technique was under-rated. Very tidy first-touch and he had crisp short passing game. Had a fairly decent left-foot too. A level above your Moussa Sissoko's, Jack Colback, Tiote etc. his technique was as good as little Vurnon. His vision wasn't a strength but that's what Nobby was there for - and Nobby couldn't do what Dyer did so they complimented each other greatly.

"Just weren't good enough ultimately" sums up that entire team - it's a bit harsh to single out Dyer there. A lot of good to very good players, all of them lacked that bit to become real top class players except Shearer.

He's been gone what - 8 years? We've only had 1 CM that's been better in that period. A very hard lad to like of course.

I wouldn't disagree that he is better than our current midfielders - as I said earlier, he would walk into our current team.  However, I am not certain that I remember his technique in quite the way you do - I remember a lot of misplaced passes and poor touches.  What he did have though was a great ball carrying ability and was excellent at launching counter attacks.

However, when you look at his stats though - 23 goals in 193 league games just wasn't enough.  I doubt his assist stats make for much better reading.

Dyer never did enough for me to be rated higher than Cabaye.

He used to have 5 minute spells and then hide for 15 minutes. Like others have said he had a great understanding with Solano but looked pony without him.

Best midfielder's for me have been Gazza, Lee, Clark, Speed, Cabaye

He used to have 5 minute spells and then hide for 15 minutes. Like others have said he had a great understanding with Solano but looked pony without him.

Wouldn't rate him below Clark - but agree with the rest.

Think Rob Lee has surely got to be in that list also without a doubt

Think Rob Less has surely got to be in that list also without a doubt

Err, Rob Lee is in their after Gazza man!

Think Rob Less has surely got to be in that list also without a doubt

Err, Rob Lee is in their after Gazza man!

So he is not got my specs on - dear me

Wouldn't rate him below Clark - but agree with the rest.

As much as I hate Lee Clark for signing for the mackems he did it consistently for us over a period of 4 or 5 years in a very good team rather than playing well when a potential move or world cup place was up for grabs.

Good enough for what? He was an integral part of a very good team. His goalscoring wasn't great but he was very good at a lot of things.

You look at his Youtube compilation, he's got a fair few decent left-foot finishes. Dembele can carry it in midfield, on his day Dyer could pass, move, pop in excellent positions, drag midfielders silly with movement, run them to death.

Dyer had his limits but so did the other 3 lads in that midfield. He was just as valuable as any of them.

Good enough for what? He was an integral part of a very good team. His goalscoring wasn't great but he was very good at a lot of things.

You look at his Youtube compilation, he's got a fair few decent left-foot finishes. Dembele can carry it in midfield, on his day Dyer could pass, move, pop in excellent positions, drag midfielders silly with movement, run them to death.

Dyer had his limits but so did the other 3 lads in that midfield. He was just as valuable as any of them.

Even I would look good on youtube man.

Dyer's solo run v Southampton still makes my hairs stand on the back of my neck. Insane goal.

He'd be in the England team today for me, his pace, ball carrying, technique, movement etc is what today's English midfielders are sorely, sorely, lacking.

Having said all of that - he could have been so much damn better too. Shame. At his best he was one of my favorite players to watch - just enjoyed his style of play.

If I could have my perfect CM partnership it would probably be a 3 of Speed, Lee, and Dyer. Cabaye would get a run in that - but the thing you CAN'T discount is how many goals came out of Speed & Lee. Dyer's on the ball running completely priceless in today's day and age too. Sissoko should just watch Dyer play and try and emulate him as he's no Yaya Toure.

Dyer was like, 5'8? Low centre of gravity - crazy acceleration and could dink left or right very quickly. Sissoko has that old school coal train/Yaya type of pace and power where he picks up steam with power just as important as pace - largely in straight lines.

Nobby was a top player but having Bellamy and Dyer darting everywhere must've been a dream. Especially as he could use that to make space for himself to find Big Al for a finish.