Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Dyer and Sissoko couldn't be any more different really, don't understand the comparison at all.

I'm not trying to compare the 2...but if Sissoko is to be effective in the PL he needs to use his pace and acceleration wisely. He's not going to overpower nearly everyone ala Yaya Toure or hell, Diame. He's got to be smart about his pace and acceleration. Clearly couldn't lace Dyer's boots IMO but he's not a ball winner, nor is he a Yaya in terms of "fuck it, let me do ALL of it" - he's got to make use of his best attributes and that is his pace and counter. Dyer wasn't a ball winner, nor was he a goal scorer, he was a ball carrier who pulled teams apart with his movement and pace. Sissoko should look to do similar.

Dyer was like, 5'8? Low centre of gravity - crazy acceleration and could dink left or right very quickly. Sissoko has that old school coal train/Yaya type of pace and power where he picks up steam with power just as important as pace - largely in straight lines.

Nobby was a top player but having Bellamy and Dyer darting everywhere must've been a dream. Especially as he could use that to make space for himself to find Big Al for a finish.

I think Solano was an intelligent enough player to have been good in any team.  I think he was sorely underrated actually - such a great touch and amazing vision.

Speed was no more prolific than Cabaye.

Cabaye, in spite of the fact he takes penalties and set pieces, won't finish his career with nearly as many goals as Speed, like.

Dyer wasn't a ball winner

It wasn't his job title, but he won the ball loads for us. With his fast feet he'd nick the ball away from players with ease.

^ no doubt wasn't his job title but Dyer was useful you are right, just saying, he's far better a tackler than Moussa. Don't need to see him do that bounce-off slide tackle from last season.

I also rate the hell out of Moussa and think he's a top player under the right guidance and coaching.

Dyer was like, 5'8? Low centre of gravity - crazy acceleration and could dink left or right very quickly. Sissoko has that old school coal train/Yaya type of pace and power where he picks up steam with power just as important as pace - largely in straight lines.

Nobby was a top player but having Bellamy and Dyer darting everywhere must've been a dream. Especially as he could use that to make space for himself to find Big Al for a finish.

I think Solano was an intelligent enough player to have been good in any team.  I think he was sorely underrated actually - such a great touch and amazing vision.

I don't think he's under-rated to us. We haven't had a better RM since. Not even close. I'm a Milner fan but having Solano for those 5/6 years then a young Milner was a massive downgrade in technical ability.

Although Nobby did need legs around him - he wasn't going to provide that dynamism himself. He would love Cisse but that's it with this bunch. No movement & can't win a header to save their lives. Dyer & Robert got slated for the lack of tackle at the time - Nobby himself didn't put much of a foot in despite proving to be a handy RB for awhile.

Had Nobby had any real athleticism to his game - he would've been world class imo.

Nobby's football brain was top. His set pieces and crossing, on top of some of his just generally brilliant touches/finishing. Leeds (a) or hell, was it Everton (h) that outside of the foot curler? Good point on Cisse - Nobby would pick him out every time and keep the fucker onside as he'd play it early enough, same goes for Robert who loved the early driven cross.

Forgot about Hatem tbh. I wouldn't have Hatem over Nobby tbh - Solano only ever played for 65 minutes away. That HBA sub instead of Jenas/Ambrose though....... i'm crying inside just thinking about it.

You think of Hatem under the current fuck wad though, imagine if he had Sir Bobby managing him? I believe he could have played LW/RW or #10 under Bobby IMO.

Guest Howaythetoon

Dyer had pace, stamina and could carry the ball, but his decision making was often poor as was his finishing and passing. He was a 10-yard ball player because he lacked the ability and confidence to spray it about further. He would regularly run into defenders or blind alleys and when one on one he would fluff his lines. He was extremely talented, but another in a long line of players with potential who didn't achieve.

Back to Cabaye, for me he has more to his game than Speed, he has better vision and more technical ability. Had he stuck around NUFC as long as Speed he would be considered up there with the likes if Lee. By the way, I thought Speed got better with age, he was a tremendous leader and his work ethic was immense, he was a typical box to box player but with good defensive awareness. He could tackle too.

Rob Lee was something else though, he was the original Lampard basically, box to box, goals and assists. Such an underrated player.

You can tell a good footballer when they can just link up play with others effortlessly, him, Cole, Clark, Beardsley and then later Ginola and Sir Les, fluid football among top players. Mind the then manager's philosophy obviously played its part!

Lee, Cabaye and then Speed for me quickly followed by Batty and Hamann.

I thought at the time Dyer, Jenas, Viana, Parker and Emre could have joined those players but for various reasons, despite their talents, that never happened.

Last statement especially. I think its a shame that Sir Bobby was getting on with age whilst Dyer, Jenas and Viana were here. The 3 of them had everything in their skill set to take us forward too, fucking shame that.

Dyer never did enough for me to be rated higher than Cabaye.

He used to have 5 minute spells and then hide for 15 minutes. Like others have said he had a great understanding with Solano but looked pony without him.

Best midfielder's for me have been Gazza, Lee, Clark, Speed, Cabaye

Wouldn't rate him below Clark - but agree with the rest.

As much as I hate Lee Clark for signing for the mackems he did it consistently for us over a period of 4 or 5 years in a very good team rather than playing well when a potential move or world cup place was up for grabs.

Despite the t-shirt and stuff I've got no shame in admitting Lee Clark is probably the best central midfielder I've seen live in a Sunderland shirt. Only Hutchison was near his level.

Last statement especially. I think its a shame that Sir Bobby was getting on with age whilst Dyer, Jenas and Viana were here. The 3 of them had everything in their skill set to take us forward too, fucking shame that.

Didn't help that Dyer had no respect for Sir Bobby at all. Alongside Bramble and Bellamy.

People are now saying Cabaye has done more for Newcastle than Kieron fucking Dyer :lol:

I love how both through the transient nature of memory and the retardation of the medium that is the Internet forums history is rewritten.

Regardless of what you think of Dyer, and most of what you said is true, he did about 5000x more than Cabaye ever did for this club. Just on performances, assists and goals alone, not even including the fact that he didn't go on strike because he was denied a move that was promised to him, and didn't look for an out at the first opportunity. I love Cabaye, but people need to stop this revisionist bullshit. It's taking on the Confederate South proportions where they claim to have won the war.

Edit: Have people forgotten the FULL season when we finished 16th and Cabaye did fuck all? He was invisible most of that fucking season bar a few goals and assists.

Dyer had his limitations but as a midfield player being able to break from deep and run beyond a defence he was the best we've had. Some of his off the ball runs were fantastic. Put him in with Cabaye and they'd cause all kinds of problems.

Dyer had his limitations but as a midfield player being able to break from deep and run beyond a defence he was the best we've had. Some of his off the ball runs were fantastic. Put him in with Cabaye and they'd cause all kinds of problems.

Aye definitely. Different kind of players anyways. They can easily be in the same team and cause havoc.

People are now saying Cabaye has done more for Newcastle than Kieron f***ing Dyer :lol:

I love how both through the transient nature of memory and the retardation of the medium that is the Internet forums history is rewritten.

Regardless of what you think of Dyer, and most of what you said is true, he did about 5000x more than Cabaye ever did for this club. Just on performances, assists and goals alone, not even including the fact that he didn't go on strike because he was denied a move that was promised to him, and didn't look for an out at the first opportunity. I love Cabaye, but people need to stop this revisionist bullshit. It's taking on the Confederate South proportions where they claim to have won the war.

Edit: Have people forgotten the FULL season when we finished 16th and Cabaye did f*** all? He was invisible most of that f***ing season bar a few goals and assists.

You forgotten Dyer refusing to play right wing for Bobby?

I remember it all very well. And the distaste with which he treated the captain's armband. As soon as Bobby was sacked he was the first one to say he was shattered and was completely remorseful, in public, about his behaviour. Either way, the point still stands, simply by sticking around at the club a lot longer, he did more than Cabs. I wish we'd had Cabs for longer, but he was always in his own version of 'I'm a celebrity, gemme outta here..."