Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Mainly due to the style of play we employed IMO, for France at major international tournaments he looked great in a deeper role i don't see why he couldn't for someone in the Premier League if the coach wasn't a moron.

If Cabaye was so stifled by Pardew he wouldn't have so many good things to say about him. :undecided:

He let him do what he wants so i'm not that surprised, doesn't mean it was right though.

Depends if we think Cabaye has any ambition. Top players don't want to work with coaches who don't improve them.

Mainly due to the style of play we employed IMO, for France at major international tournaments he looked great in a deeper role i don't see why he couldn't for someone in the Premier League if the coach wasn't a moron.

If Cabaye was so stifled by Pardew he wouldn't have so many good things to say about him. :undecided:

He let him do what he wants so i'm not that surprised, doesn't mean it was right though.

Depends if we think Cabaye has any ambition. Top players don't want to work with coaches who don't improve them.

Don't think it's ambition in that light. It was said Cabaye would come into training early and stay late and practice more because he felt the training was very short. He probably see's the improvement on the training field as a personal thing. And he seems determined in that aspect.

What Pardew gives him is someone that builds a team around him on a Saturday, someone that thinks he's top class and someone who he played his best football under. He's not Timothy Krul.

That's true. He played his best football in the final months of his time here in an advanced role. As a midfielder he never really controlled the game the way the likes of Carrick do.

With respect I'd disagree. They're two different players. If argue that Cabaye was a hell of lot more capable of providing a killer ball or a goal than Carrick. Carrick is consistent in breaking up play and putting the ball to a more creative player but Cabaye is definitely more of an attacking force.

I'd argue with anyone who thinks Carrick "controlled" a game. He may have disrupted another teams attack but he's never pulled the strings like Cabaye.

:thup:

He was ace together with Tiote the season we ended 5th. They definitely controlled games, Manure at home springs to mind.

I'd say we controlled games defensively not offensively, not necessarily Cabaye's fault though everyone knows the limitations of a flat 442.

He's basically perfected in a midfield three with two runners. People should stop making out like he's got the pace of Laurent Blanc in has last playing days; Cabaye covered a hell of a lot ground and he played for a team that had 4-6 game charges of excellence followed by 8-12 games of utter disgusting football. He's still a top top player and he'd walk straight Into our team. He's no world class cm but he def an excellent player just under the world class bracket.

He was ace together with Tiote the season we ended 5th. They definitely controlled games, Manure at home springs to mind.

It's amazing how much this gets said. It just isn't true. We didn't control games that season at all. We just scored goals at the right time, sat deep and kept it tight at the back.

It's amazing how much this gets said. It just isn't true. We didn't control games that season at all. We just scored goals at the right time. sat deep and kept it tight at the back.

ron is a relentless bellend but he's generally right, none more so than with this :thup:

It's amazing how much this gets said. It just isn't true. We didn't control games that season at all. We just scored goals at the right time. sat deep and kept it tight at the back.

ron is a relentless bellend but he's generally right, none more so than with this :thup:

Fuck, Mojo. I thought we were alright. Still that NHS thing?

Fuck, Mojo. I thought we were alright. Still that NHS thing?

not at all man, you're sound and i like you but you have a habit of rubbing 'certain people' up the wrong way....some things i disagree with you know?

It's amazing how much this gets said. It just isn't true. We didn't control games that season at all. We just scored goals at the right time, sat deep and kept it tight at the back.

The Tiote-Cabaye partnership played a key part in keeping it tight at the back though. They were fantastic together, often against a midfield 3 too. Since when does "controlling the midfield" only refer to the offensive side of the game?

The Tiote-Cabaye partnership played a key part in keeping it tight at the back though. They were fantastic together, often against a midfield 3 too. Since when does "controlling the midfield" only refer to the offensive side of the game?

It doesn't and nobody said it did. We weren't in 'control' of games. We were purely reactive the vast majority of the time and if we conceded the first goal we were fucking done for because of our reliance on nicking a goal against the run of play.

You can be in control of a game and be on the back foot ala Mayweather. 

In the 5th season I would say we controlled a number of games but without the ball. We had teams where we wanted them. Not looking like they would score. For example, I would say we controlled the Swansea away game for large periods. Up until Tiote got injured they never looked dangerous but had plenty of the ball. we didn't have the ball but we had them where we wanted.

In a few of Carver's early games we had plenty of possession but we where never in control of games.

You can be in control of a game and be on the back foot ala Mayweather. 

In the 5th season I would say we controlled a number of games but without the ball. We had teams where we wanted them. Not looking like they would score. For example, I would say we controlled the Swansea away game for large periods. Up until Tiote got injured they never looked dangerous but had plenty of the ball. we didn't have the ball but we had them where we wanted.

In a few of Carver's early games we had plenty of possession but we where never in control of games.

Think you're wrong there like.

We were solid in that Swansea game and they never looked like scoring but I can't for the life of me see how you'd say we controlled it.

I'm with Ronaldo, we were fucking awful for the most part and even when we won were invariably the poorer team. It's how we knew at the time the wheels were destined to come off.

Control = power and influence over events. Swansea had no power or influence over the score line and never looked like it.

Let's take Pardew's idol - Mourinho. All those times he's beat Wenger's Arsenal.  They are in control over the proceedings without the ball. That 2-0 last season they where in control from start to finish. IMO whenever a top team does the rope-a-dope on Arsenal they are in control. Not Arsenal. In the 5th season we won games in the exact fashion Pardew set them out to do. 

I would say games like QPR, Blackburn away when we finished 5th. Spurs away last season. Or when Inter beat Barcelona are genuinely lucky.  Those results relied on poor finishing, luck.

I think you can control a game without possession on the counter. If you know they aren't going to breach your defense and you know that you will get chances on the break that's you in control imo. I think we did control games on the counter that season, and central to that was Cabaye not wasting passes but getting the right ball to Cisse up top.

We haven't really controlled games like that since even if that was often the plan as our defense was so shaky you couldn't say we weren't playing a high risk strategy.