Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

ba had a good start due to the way we played. as the style changed so did his performances. the move in position affetcted him to the point where the ball stuck to him early on in the season in a way it didn't later on.

I thought Ba mainly played well on the left, the main difference was bad luck and he was having shots in the 2nd half of the season which were going in during the 1st half.  I didn't see much of a decrease in his performances, just his goals tally.

I watched a prolific goal scorer in the first half of the season who proved in the 2nd half of the season that he can offer more than just goals.

ba had a good start due to the way we played. as the style changed so did his performances. the move in position affetcted him to the point where the ball stuck to him early on in the season in a way it didn't later on.

I thought Ba mainly played well on the left, the main difference was bad luck and he was having shots in the 2nd half of the season which were going in during the 1st half.  I didn't see much of a decrease in his performances, just his goals tally.

I watched a prolific goal scorer in the first half of the season who proved in the 2nd half of the season that he can offer more than just goals.

i saw that same player in the first half of the season. in the second half i watched a through the middle striker lose confidence through playing wider.

i saw that same player in the first half of the season. in the second half i watched a through the middle striker lose confidence through playing wider.

He played well throughout the season with a few games where he didn't perform, a bit like every other player last season apart from cisse who wasn't here for the full season.

Losing Ba at this stage in the pre-season would be a massive blow, no point sugar-coating it. He's proven to be a fantastic striker and a very good footballer in the final third for us. To lose him now, coupled with letting Best go too, would be a big headache for us. We need another quality forward/striker in as it stands now, losing Ba means we need 2. And quality forwards are hard to come by.

He played well throughout the season with a few games where he didn't perform, a bit like every other player last season apart from cisse who wasn't here for the full season.

in a way yes, but the longer he was played wide the more the performances werent what they had been. keep him playing wide and i can only see it going one way.

No, as I said I think he's a good player but if he's going to refuse to play in the position that he occupied when the team played by far it's best football last year then that's a problem.

Nice snide dig all the same. :(

:lol:

It wasn't aimed at you.

:smug:

Mick, you spent most of last year complaining about how poor our football was. It was only when we switched to 4-3-3 and brought in Ben Arfa that it improved. I'd be happy for Ba to keep playing that spot out left but he's seemingly made it clear he doesn't want to do so.

Only option I can see for Pardew in that case is to revert to a 4-4-2, does that not concern you at all?

No, as I said I think he's a good player but if he's going to refuse to play in the position that he occupied when the team played by far it's best football last year then that's a problem.

Nice snide dig all the same. :(

:lol:

It wasn't aimed at you.

Mick, you spent most of last year complaining about how poor our football was. It was only when we switched to 4-3-3 and brought in Ben Arfa that it improved. I'd be happy for Ba to keep playing that spot out left but he's seemingly made it clear he doesn't want to do so.

Only option I can see for Pardew in that case is to revert to a 4-4-2, does that not concern you at all?

with debuchy (i know) and santon we could have a 4-4-2 that wasn't a 4-4-2 that could work with a forward 2 and get the best out of the squad.

with the current squad though 4-4-2 isn't getting the best out of it and playing ba wider won't get the best out of him and (in my opinion) will want to be off.

Guest BooBoo

Post January Ba was somewhere between average and poor on the whole although in one or two games he did well in a selfless role. He looked a round peg in a square hole.

Having to cope with losing Ba because someone invokes his release clause and he wants to go is one thing, it's the way some seem to imply that he's holding us back which baffles me.

Losing Ba would be massive blow, seems to me that people just don't quite hold the same levels of affection for him as they do for Cabaye, Cisse Etc. That's fair enough, but I don't see how you can argue it on a purely footballing level.

Why are we arguing about Ba? He's not really come out to say that he is either leaving or not happy with the 433 formation.

pards has said he'll be playing centrally

Please point me to these quotes by Pards, thanks

Why are we arguing about Ba? He's not really come out to say that he is either leaving or not happy with the 433 formation.

Allow me:

When asked if he was impressed by Ba's comments hinting towards staying at United, Pardew told the Evening Chronicle: "They have never been anything other if you speak to Demba.

"He's always had the same feeling for the club. I think he understands that the fans love him here.

"He wants to repay that. By the same token we all have to make sure that everybody is happy here."

Ba has asked Pardew about playing more as a centre-forward this season, having been deployed mainly in a wide position after the arrival of his compatriot Papiss Cisse in January.

And the Newcastle manager has indicated that Ba will get his chance to lead the line alongside Cisse for the coming 12 months.

"Demba wants to play in a central role. He wants to get himself chances to score goals," said Pardew. "And I think that in 90 per cent of the games next year that's where he will play."

Allow me:

When asked if he was impressed by Ba's comments hinting towards staying at United, Pardew told the Evening Chronicle: "They have never been anything other if you speak to Demba.

"He's always had the same feeling for the club. I think he understands that the fans love him here.

"He wants to repay that. By the same token we all have to make sure that everybody is happy here."

Ba has asked Pardew about playing more as a centre-forward this season, having been deployed mainly in a wide position after the arrival of his compatriot Papiss Cisse in January.

And the Newcastle manager has indicated that Ba will get his chance to lead the line alongside Cisse for the coming 12 months.

"Demba wants to play in a central role. He wants to get himself chances to score goals," said Pardew. "And I think that in 90 per cent of the games next year that's where he will play."

Thanks. But that can mean a few things. I dont necessarily think it excludes the possibility of rotating with Cisse or even us playing 433 with Cisse and Ba interchanging position in the center. As many have said, even with the 433 last season, Ba would start from the left but got his chaces in the middle of the trio and he didnt score through a combination of bad luck (hitting the bar/post multiple times) and low morale or fatigue poct ACON.

I dont see why a rejuvenated Ba would not do well in a 433 formation, so I think Pards quotes should be taken to mean that we will revert to 442 or that Ba will replace Cisse as the centre focal point. 

I dont see why a rejuvenated Ba would not do well in a 433 formation, so I think Pards quotes should be taken to mean that we will revert to 442 or that Ba will replace Cisse as the centre focal point. 

I don't like either of those options.

Someone made a great point on here that the front 3 shouldn't be rigid. It's perfectly plausible that Cisse and Ba will take turns and swing wide with Ben Arfa doing his usual thing too. I also don't get some of the nonsense such as "well if he wants to go let him"....that's going off the worst press speculation going and he hasn't made any gestures that he wants to go. Sure he suffered second half of the season but the quality is there without doubt and he'll get more goals if he stays.

Ofcourse if he does go between now and the 31st then most of what I've said is nonsense but people are jumping to conclusions far too quickly.

If we get Debuchy, i would love us to try something like this, with offensive fullbacks.

Ba          Cisse

HBA

Jonas    Cabaye

Tiote

Santon Colo Saylor Debuchy

EL Krulo

FMtastic! :smug:

I know I was complaining about our football for most of the season, and I know we were better when we changed to 4-3-3.  What I'm saying in here now is that we should be looking to keep Ba and that shouldn't mean reverting to 4-4-2 if we have our forwards switching play during a game.  We don't have to have a rigid system and I was also saying that for most of the season.

My main issue with people saying sell demba is that if Cisse were to get injured what the hell would we do?

I thought Demba played well on the wing and was unlucky not to get another four or five goals, just  a striker's bad run that's all. I think him and Cisse will rotate a bit more if he stays and he will get his fair share...

If he was to go, I would replace him with a pacy striker that can play wide "a la henry"...