Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

I wouldn't agree with everything Little Lunch Box has said, but the basic point is valid. Wenger wants a striker with pace, movement and technique. Ba's chief asset is his strength, and he's just not what Arsenal are looking for.

Having said that, Wenger is still left with a problem, because I suspect the kind of striker that Wenger wants is out of reach, given Arsenal's limited budget. Early days, but I don't think Giroud is the answer.

Whatever you say about his attitude, adaptability to formations, allround game etc;

30 goals in 55 Prem appearances since he came over from Germany :clap:

Aside from his contract posturing he's been one of our best ever buys IMO given the relative lack of cost attached. Can't fault him at all on-field, and really that's only where it matters. I'll be pretty fucked off if we bin him in Jan.

It is true. Demba Bas linkup play isn't that good, movement is good though, and he knows how to create a chance for himself. But he is really ballhappy player who thrives on scoring goals, and hardly on making them as we've seen. Papiss seems like the exact same guy, with little less trickery in the coffin but maybe an ounce more of other stuff. There is a reason why both of them play alot better when Shola is on the field, as the one or the other can do what they like best, play as that last man, the main man who's supposed to score goals.

Demba Ba is a class player, our problem is that he wasn't managed into the left of a front 3, he was just pushed into the position. He was as good when playing in that position as he was when played centrally, he just didn't have the luck. He should have been told that he was playing brilliantly to keep his confidence up because he was playing brilliantly without getting the goals his game deserved.  Ba is clearly a player who needs confidence like most forwards and he seemed short on that at the end of last season. Anybody who thinks we'd easily replace him is mad.

Demba Ba is a class player, our problem is that he wasn't managed into the left of a front 3, he was just pushed into the position. He was as good when playing in that position as he was when played centrally, he just didn't have the luck. He should have been told that he was playing brilliantly to keep his confidence up because he was playing brilliantly without getting the goals his game deserved.  Ba is clearly a player who needs confidence like most forwards and he seemed short on that at the end of last season. Anybody who thinks we'd easily replace him is mad.

How do you know that he wasn't? I just don't think he liked playing there period.

How do you know that he wasn't? I just don't think he liked playing there period.

I didn't see any proof of it.

Demba and Cisse need to be able to play together. As a team we need to be able to say we have two strikers who will both score. Both can contribute in the same game and defenders have 2 world class strikers to contain when playing us. This obviously needs to be balanced with the likes of getting the best from HBA, Cabaye, Tiote etc.

I can see why Pardew wants this 442 to click at times, if we have Ba and Cisse scoring together in a partnership we needn't worry about what formation we play. Ultimately I think I'm starting to think we need to be working towards more of a diamond 442, with Ben Arfa behind the front 2, Cabaye and whoever linking defence and attack, and feeding some attacking fullbacks down the wings with Cheick sitting. Only thing missing for me is a RB that can do that.

Ba        Cisse

HBA

Jonas        Cabaye

Tiote

Santon    Colo            Saylor      Anita

Krul

That could work?

Ba        Cisse

HBA

Jonas        Cabaye

Tiote

Krul

That could work?

Its what I have been saying for ages, it put Benny central where he has freedom to create in a lot more space and means Ba & Cisse are also not pushed out  wide.

Ba        Cisse

HBA

Jonas        Cabaye

Tiote

Krul

That could work?

I don't see why not.

Edit: Fenham :lol:

Ba        Cisse

HBA

Jonas        Cabaye

Tiote

Krul

That could work?

Yeah, it could. It's not been even hinted at being tried, so i doubt we'll ever see it. Would like to see a new RB to be the main proponent, Anita could cover that position obviously. Then Santon left, with Ferguson being the cover.

We should be in this position already.

TBF we could and are playing many different formations with different permutations and we could keep on doing so, none of them are going to work well unless the tempo of our game picks up dramatically along with the movement and speed of passing.

TBF we could and are playing many different formations with different permutations and we could keep on doing so, none of them are going to work well unless the tempo of our game picks up dramatically along with the movement and speed of passing.

Yeah i agree with that.

Finding a formation that plays to our players strengths would allow us to play with better tempo and movement. I think they work hand in hand.

yep, and those are things that don't happen overnight - they have to be relentlessly worked on during training so that it comes natural to players in the game.

Pardew's been here long enough, and purchased enough players, that time is no longer an excuse for us to not have done this already - either he's not prepared to do this work in training (as it would mean giving up precious hours preparing our defence) or he simply doesn't know how to achieve it.

Feel like I should clarify what I've said about Ba. I DON'T want to see him sold, and certainly don't think he'd be easily replaced. I just don't think it'd necessarily be a crushing blow if the replacement was really considered and used as a method of getting us into the 4-3-3 regularly, which is surely the way forward for this team.

I fucking love Demba Ba though, don't get me wrong.