Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Just figured out the problem..... Cisse's Senegalese sweat bands wtf are they? i haven't seen him wear them in f*cking ages.

This, reckon he should stick them back on again soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if its a daft new rule that he can't wear them anymore. Don't the under shirts and shorts have to be the club colours now?

Guest reefatoon

It's ok, all will be good from now on. . . . I had changed my avatar to Ba and Cisse at the start of the season and I think i might have cursed the partnership.  I have now taken it off, so expect them both to score at the weekend and get shed loads of goals for the rest of the season . . . . It all starts here!

• 2 weeks later...

BBC African Footballer of the Year 2012 shortlist revealed

The five candidates for the BBC African Footballer of the Year 2012 award have been revealed.

Yaya Toure has made the shortlist for the second consecutive year and he is joined by his Ivory Coast team-mate Didier Drogba, Senegal's Demba Ba, Morocco's Younes Belhanda and Zambia skipper Christopher Katongo.

The winner will be decided by African football fans, who have until 1830 GMT on Thursday, 13 December to vote for their choice. It has been an outstanding year for all the nominees, with four of the players winning silverware.

Drogba could not have bid a better farewell to Chelsea at the end of the season after scoring the winning penalty to clinch the Champions League trophy for the first time in the club's history, and also scoring what proved to be the winning goal in the FA Cup final.

His Ivorian compatriot, Toure, was a key player for Manchester City as the Sky Blues were crowned Premier League champions for the first time - and their first top-flight title for 44 years.

A domestic title was also earned by Belhanda, whose 12 goals and all-round performances were a huge factor as Montpellier pulled off a major surprise to win the French Ligue 1 championship.

On the international scene there was yet another first as Katongo led from the front for Zambia, skippering them to a shock victory in the Africa Cup of Nations, where Chipolopolo beat Ivory Coast on penalties in the final.

Ba fared less well at the Nations Cup, with Senegal going out of the competition at the group stage, but he enjoyed personal success with Newcastle where he ended last season as the club's top scorer with 17 goals, helping them to finish fifth in the table.

Previous winners of BBC African Footballer of the Year award:

2011 - Andre 'Dede' Ayew (Marseille & Ghana)

2010 - Asamoah Gyan (Sunderland & Ghana)

2009 - Didier Drogba (Chelsea & Ivory Coast)

2008 - Mohamed Aboutrika (Al Ahly & Egypt)

2007 - Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal & Togo)

2006 - Michael Essien (Chelsea & Ghana)

2005 - Mohamed Barakat (Al Ahly & Egypt)

2004 - Jay Jay Okocha (Bolton & Nigeria)

2003 - Jay Jay Okocha (Bolton & Nigeria)

2002 - El Hadji Diouf (Liverpool & Senegal)

2001 - Sammy Kuffour (Bayern Munich & Ghana)

2000 - Patrick Mboma (Parma & Cameroon)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20257457 - vote for Demba.

I've heard from a few people including one inside the club that Ba and Cisse don't get on at all.

Without verging into "Jose Enrique body language" territory, they don't look at each other very often during matches, let alone pass to one another!

Rather strange considering the glowing terms Ba spoke of "Papisto" in when he first arrived at the club.

That was before Cisse's emergence as a threat to Ba's main-man (in attack) status in the first team, as eloquently pointed out by his entourage - his agent + his brother.

Entourage is the problem, filling the lad's head with divisive shite ala the Anelka's entourage.

Strikes me as a massive, whingey c***. Really starting to dislike him, I don't get the feeling that his attitude is in line with the rest of the players', he only seems to care about himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the most divisive member of the squad, which could be quite useful in challenging the manager's choices if he wasn't so self-absorbed.

Guest Howaythetoon

Imagine how good he would be in a footballing side. For all his (few) flaws, he is for me the best centre-forward we have had since Shearer and he is arguably the reason we are not in the bottom 3. I can't believe how blase some are about the likes of Ba and Tiote by the way. They are two of the best players we've had in their respective positions in a long long time. It pains me to see him as some kind of big lump up front though. we are massively under using him at the moment and its testament to his ability that he still scores goals. The sign of a good player/goalscorer is someone who can do the business whatever the set-up, level, team etc. and Ba has shown that throughout is career.

Guest Howaythetoon

His legs are already starting to tire. :(

That's because he's being asked to be some kind of target man, old stylee.

Criminally our entire side/players look really tired after 60 minutes.

That's basically been Ba since he joined us, though. He fades terribly.

Guest Howaythetoon

I've noticed he does seem to fade quite a lot but then I've seen him put in full 90 minute shifts. In general though, I'd say along with quite a few of our players, he doesn't have the best range in terms of stamina and that for me personally is a training issue. If he genuinely cannot last the full 90 he should be used in ways that his stamina etc. correlate with. He is being flogged though in my opinion in the same way Jonas is often flogged.

I've noticed he does seem to fade quite a lot but then I've seen him put in full 90 minute shifts. In general though, I'd say along with quite a few of our players, he doesn't have the best range in terms of stamina and that for me personally is a training issue. If he genuinely cannot last the full 90 he should be used in ways that his stamina etc. correlate with. He is being flogged though in my opinion in the same way Jonas is often flogged.

I don't understand how him 'being flogged' had anything to do with being unable to control the football for the first 45 minutes of the game. Was he tired in the first 3 minutes when the ball was played into him in acres of space and subsequently bounced 5 feet away from him?

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't understand how him 'being flogged' had anything to do with being unable to control the football for the first 45 minutes of the game. Was he tired in the first 3 minutes when the ball was played into him in acres of space and subsequently bounced 5 feet away from him?

To play well, to perform well, requires confidence and all kinds of things. He as an individual despite his goals just like the team as a whole is struggling. It has nowt to do with his ability, he is no cart horse, he is one of the best all-round strikers in Europe on his day. I'm basically saying the way he and the team are being coached/asked/or whatever to play, is effecting his game in a negative way.