Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Obertan set up the whole move for our second goal against Fulham with a fantastic run and pass to Ba, in a pretty key area. He nearly set up the winner against Arsenal with a clever back heel to Cabaye and put in a delicious ball for Ameobi in the derby. He quite clearly has a cutting edge and some inventiveness, it's just inconsistent but to say he has no end product at all? Garbage.

:thup:

I'm on holiday so I've only just heard about his fasting. Think it's a f***ing disgrace, personally. A professional athlete has no business starving his body for religious reasons. Shouldn't get paid a penny while he's conforming to this crap. We desperately need him to step up, not p*ss about.

:lol:

Okay mate. How about we don't pay all footballers on Christmas too then, and Easter for that matter? How about no-one gets paid when they're not working...

He has every right to take part in his religious festival, despite the fact me thinking religion is bollocks.

Nah, agree with it or not England is a Christian country, so we abide by Christian holidays (which for most people they are just traditional holidays, nothing religious). It's not like Demba Ba has to come into training on Christmas day does he? No, he gets the Christian holidays off aswel.

If a religious festival is actualy having an effect on the guys job though then his employers should have every right to tell him to pack it in. If it's worth upsetting the player over in this case is another matter, like.

If it's that much of a bother, the employers shouldn't hire him in the first place. They have that option available to them. I don't see what right an employer has to tell people what to do regarding their religion.

You have a point about the employer not hiring in the first place like, although in the modern day you'd probably get sued for not taking someone on due to there religious practices. If the persons religios beliefs are effecting his work though ofcourse an employer should be able to 'tell him what to do'.

I'm on holiday so I've only just heard about his fasting. Think it's a f***ing disgrace, personally. A professional athlete has no business starving his body for religious reasons. Shouldn't get paid a penny while he's conforming to this crap. We desperately need him to step up, not p*ss about.

:lol:

Okay mate. How about we don't pay all footballers on Christmas too then, and Easter for that matter? How about no-one gets paid when they're not working...

He has every right to take part in his religious festival, despite the fact me thinking religion is bollocks.

Nah, agree with it or not England is a Christian country, so we abide by Christian holidays (which for most people they are just traditional holidays, nothing religious). It's not like Demba Ba has to come into training on Christmas day does he? No, he gets the Christian holidays off aswel.

If a religious festival is actualy having an effect on the guys job though then his employers should have every right to tell him to pack it in. If it's worth upsetting the player over in this case is another matter, like.

If it's that much of a bother, the employers shouldn't hire him in the first place. They have that option available to them. I don't see what right an employer has to tell people what to do regarding their religion.

You have a point about the employer not hiring in the first place like, although in the modern day you'd probably get sued for not taking someone on due to there religious practices. If the persons religios beliefs are effecting his work though ofcourse an employer should be able to 'tell him what to do'.

Yeah, but in that case the employer would be affecting the employee's human rights. In this case the freedom of religion. The employer was aware of his religious beliefs and commitments before hiring I'm sure..

Obertan set up the whole move for our second goal against Fulham with a fantastic run and pass to Ba, in a pretty key area. He nearly set up the winner against Arsenal with a clever back heel to Cabaye and put in a delicious ball for Ameobi in the derby. He quite clearly has a cutting edge and some inventiveness, it's just inconsistent but to say he has no end product at all? Garbage.

:thup:

I was thinking that as well, it seems to be the commonest thing in football to trot out the line that a player has "no end product" because he does a few things wrong.

Football is a low percentage game when attacking, if it wasn't then games would end up 10-10.

Ok adding " at all" might be a bit harsh, Ill moderate myself to saying he doesnt have any end-product YET  :troll:

The flick to cabaye was class, admittedly. Hopefully he can follow it up with some more of dat.

Setting up the odd ball or two doesnt automatically give you end product, I`ll reserve that term for someone who creates something every time he has the ball.

Jonas have on many occations done the same thing, would you also rate him as a player with end-product? If he did,  he would be in Real Madrid, not here. Nani has end product, Jonas doesnt. Obertan clearly doesnt either ( although that can very well change , so heres hoping)

What I have seen of Obertan tells me we are dealing with a fast and athletic player who can run past people but struggles a bit with getting it "in the box" or that brilliant final pass.

If he can get that final piece in the puzzle sorted he is going to be amazing, but hes still a bit off, in my honest opinion only of course.

He's played 3 matches for us and has set up at least one clear goalscoring opportunity, or an actual goal per game (albeit technically 'indirectly' against fulham). Whatever way you dress it up as, one thing he's shown so far is that he has some form of a cutting edge. As I said, inconsistent but something he definitely has in his locker, is the ability to play that killer ball.

He also completely opened up the attacking move for Ba's shot onto the bar against Fulham. He was the one that moved past 2/3 players to get it to Cabaye to set that up and make the break.

He looks very promising to me, just needs consistency and confidence to keep rising.

Ok adding " at all" might be a bit harsh, Ill moderate myself to saying he doesnt have any end-product YET  :troll:

The flick to cabaye was class, admittedly. Hopefully he can follow it up with some more of dat.

Setting up the odd ball or two doesnt automatically give you end product, I`ll reserve that term for someone who creates something every time he has the ball.

Jonas have on many occations done the same thing, would you also rate him as a player with end-product? If he did,  he would be in Real Madrid, not here. Nani has end product, Jonas doesnt. Obertan clearly doesnt either ( although that can very well change , so heres hoping)

What I have seen of Obertan tells me we are dealing with a fast and athletic player who can run past people but struggles a bit with getting it "in the box" or that brilliant final pass.

If he can get that final piece in the puzzle sorted he is going to be amazing, but hes still a bit off, in my honest opinion only of course.

He's played 3 matches for us and has set up at least one clear goalscoring opportunity, or an actual goal per game (albeit technically 'indirectly' against fulham). Whatever way you dress it up as, one thing he's shown so far is that he has some form of a cutting edge. As I said, inconsistent but something he definitely has in his locker, is the ability to play that killer ball.

Ashley Young and Charles N'Zogbia are two of the better wingers in this country, yet on occassions they are wasteful and their final ball or shot is useless.

If Obertan was just slicing the ball into the first defender or passing it off for a goal kick everytime he had possession (like Jonas when he first played for us) then I'd be worried.  As it is, he's shown signs of promise and works pretty hard tracking back as well.  Good signs IMO.

Radio Newcastles John Anderson said last night on the phone in that he believes Ba is on a 'pay as you play' deal. Might explain his lack of appearances, right up Ashleys street that one!

I didn't think it was quite a 'pay as you play' but I thought it was widely reported at the time his deal was highly incentivised.

Radio Newcastles John Anderson said last night on the phone in that he believes Ba is on a 'pay as you play' deal. Might explain his lack of appearances, right up Ashleys street that one!

I didn't think it was quite a 'pay as you play' but I thought it was widely reported at the time his deal was highly incentivised.

So we have a play on incentivised contract and still didn't go out and get another striker.

Jesus man.

I don't think that is how a "pay as you play" contract works in Ba's case.  His contract contingencies must be related to his knee in particular. If he's not playing because of knee troubles, he doesn't get paid. But if he's benched due to a strategical choice made by Pards, he's paid like the rest of the bunch.

I don't think that is how a "pay as you play" contract works in Ba's case.  His contract contingencies must be related to his knee in particular. If he's not playing because of knee troubles, he doesn't get paid. But if he's benched due to a strategical choice made by Pards, he's paid like the rest of the bunch.

Yup. He'll get paid as long as he's fit for selection. In the case of injuries, I'd presume he'd still get paid if he got injured in a clash of heads, or a routine hamstring pull etc..., but not for recurring knee injuries. Must be. Doesn't make any sense otherwise.

Guest Rainforest

Yup. He'll get paid as long as he's fit for selection. In the case of injuries, I'd presume he'd still get paid if he got injured in a clash of heads, or a routine hamstring pull etc..., but not for recurring knee injuries. Must be. Doesn't make any sense otherwise.

Oh, it makes perfect sense....

:troll:

Oh, it makes perfect sense....

Guest TheSummerOf69

We don't know his contract details. But when you consider how Ashley has been burned over Alan Smith (remember him wearing his toon top with 'Smith' emblazoned on it in pride at his great big money signing?) it makes sense that players are being paid a basic wage with extras for appearances and final league position.

Guest ovesbar

Ba had other options when we signed him as well, so doubt he is on "pay as you play". Those kind of contracts are given when the player have few other options, like Hargreaves etc..