Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Long as he's not the only striker we bring in then it's a great move, Best is the only striker on our books who isn't guaranteed to be completely useless next season (and even he might be). We need real competition for spots.

Hoping we get a new #9 and either N'Zogbia or Gervinho, that'd be a great window pretty much wrapped up. Get Enrique to sign a new deal and it'd be the icing on the cake.

No idea who but would be tempted to get an old head at centre back, obviously not a Sol Campbell but some experienced, mean bastard who is happy to be back up.

I realise that's probably as fantasy land as us signing a real top class striker but in a perfect world...

Nah, we need younger, sexier players.

Long as he's not the only striker we bring in then it's a great move, Best is the only striker on our books who isn't guaranteed to be completely useless next season (and even he might be). We need real competition for spots.

Hoping we get a new #9 and either N'Zogbia or Gervinho, that'd be a great window pretty much wrapped up. Get Enrique to sign a new deal and it'd be the icing on the cake.

No idea who but would be tempted to get an old head at centre back, obviously not a Sol Campbell but some experienced, mean b****** who is happy to be back up.

I realise that's probably as fantasy land as us signing a real top class striker but in a perfect world...

Who would you suggest?

I am actually thinking of someone but it's purely because he is a proper dirty f***er, he is old and given the level of his club (where he has been for ages) I doubt he is actually any good at all. As said, it's completely down to him being a complete b****** that he sticks in my mind.

Just would be nice to have an experienced 'hardman' who would see us as a last chance to play at the top level so although he wouldn't be a real quality player he would do a job whilst being happy to wait for his chance.

Ha, yeah I see what you're getting at.

Is this transfer on a free then? Someone told me different yesterday!

Yeah, seems odd that Sewlly and that are saying he's on a free for us, but that article said Fiorentina were hoping to get him for 6m euros.

Certainly odd that Sewlly and that are saying he's on a free for us but that article said Fiorentina were hoping to get him for 6m euros.

That article is was also saying they're going to sign him from Hoffenheim.

Certainly odd that Sewlly and that are saying he's on a free for us but that article said Fiorentina were hoping to get him for 6m euros.

Oh dear :lol:

Sounds spot on then. :lol:

Guest neesy111

If he's available on a free, why did West Ham report the mackems then?  Surely they would prefer a transfer ASAP to get him off their wage book.

If he's available on a free, why did West Ham report the mackems then?  Surely they would prefer a transfer ASAP to get him off their wage book.

??? When was this?

EDIT: doesn't matter, I found some articles about it.

Best showed last season, he's fine as a back up option. Looked a vastly improved power once be had bated his first goals v West Ham.

I think he looked better last season because he was played in the only position where he should be asked to play ie leading the line as a traditional number 9. He can't drop deeper or play wide, which was what was happening when he had to play with another similar striker.

It's also helped his reputation that he bagged a few goals, but that can happen with any striker who hits a good streak.

If we're going to play better football, we need attacking players with a bit more in their armoury.

In a 4-3-3 he would mostly be required to lead the line, you would expect Ben Arfa or Zog/other to be providing the width. As a squad player he's adequate imo.

If we've got Ben Arfa and Zoggy, picking Best to lead the line feels like an offence against the gods of football.

When I said he's been better in that number 9 position, I didn't mean to imply that he'd been particularly good.

Found this article from about a few weeks back, regarding the mackems' "tapping up".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/25/west-ham-sunderland-demba-ba

This came up:

The 26-year-old Senegalese was one of the club's better players in a season that ended in relegation to the Championship, scoring seven times in 10 Premier League starts after signing on a pay-as-you-play deal from Hoffenheim in the January transfer window.

I'd be happy if we offered Ba this sort of contract too.

??? When was this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13551173.stm

Yeah, found that. That happened about a week after the PL finished, I imagine that West Ham thought they had a chance of keeping Ba (like if they raised his wages and all that) so "reported" Sunderland as a way to get them off their backs.

A few weeks later though, circumstances have changed I guess.

One thing that looks very good is that he's not only good in the air, but he's two-footed as well. :thup:

I prefer footballers to have two feet. Helps with their balance.

Mark Douglas said the other day we were looking for a quick striker which we hoped would be Gameiro or Gervinho and a target man type.

Ba would be a great signing as the big man up front.