Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

i do agree with the 'keeping him happy' aspect though, pardew seems to have done it in a few games that was arguably to the detriment of the team and performance

he's got to accept he might not start every game, if he can't then it might be better to move him on than crowbar him in just to keep him happy...depends entirely on his attitude

The problem is his clause. Now I understand why Pardew said" we gotta show our love to pursued him to stay". This is to be done by letting him do whatever he want on the pitch, trying ridiculous shot, being selfish and ignore his teammates. To be honest, the 433 tactics have been very successful until Ba being accused of unhappy. Then what we saw is our team trying to let him score, shift Cisse to the left, let him shot everywhere...

I want him to stay if he is willing to play like a left wing or a backup for Cisse. However if due to the clause we have to please him like a baby and sacrifice our result, I would rather tell him either to put the club before himself or just leave.

The other reason is, I don't think Ashley is willing to renegotiate the contract to get that clause away in exchange for higher wages. To him the dodgy knee is a huge risk which he doesnt want to take, especially after the success of Cisse.

I think keeping him happy was due to the fragility of his contract situation though (if indeed Pardew was just playing him to keep him happy), if we get into the new season with him tied down on a different contract then the ball is in Pardew's court.

I think him and the rest of our players would see it differently next season anyway depending on how we do, if we're up there fighting for a Champions League place again, aswel as doing well in Europe and the cups i'm pretty sure they would be happy with the rotation.

EDIT: In short, Pardew will not go into next season with a player he feels he HAS to play.

We should be doing a hell of a lot to convince him to stay really. He was the one who fired us into contention for Europe in the first place, before Cisse stole his limelight.

I don't think he's great out wide in the 433 really, I've said it before. But he's far and away our second best forward and as such we need him in the squad.

He played in all of our 4-3-3 victories and I for one would be devastated if we sold him, 16 goals in half a season was no fluke and I think it was more ACON after affects than formation or Cisse signing that hurt his game.

Guest optimistic nit

I would like us to play 4-3-3 next season, and tbh we'll be a better team with someone else at LW. Wouldn't be too bothered if he left as long as we get someone else for the money.

Agreed

I got raped on here for saying such things a couple of weeks ago

thats because selling ba would be riddiculous.

He played in all of our 4-3-3 victories and I for one would be devastated if we sold him, 16 goals in half a season was no fluke and I think it was more ACON after affects than formation or Cisse signing that hurt his game.

whatever it was, watching the start of the man city game staggered me - he looked fucked, completely dead on his feet fucked playing 50% slower than anyone else on the pitch

I just don't think he's ideal for the left side of the 4-3-3, obviously he can do a job and he has served the team well.

I wonder if we're looking for someone a but more zippy and direct for that role, like a Bellamy or Sturridge type.

I don't want Ba to leave though, as I said we should negotiate with him as much as possible.

I would like us to play 4-3-3 next season, and tbh we'll be a better team with someone else at LW. Wouldn't be too bothered if he left as long as we get someone else for the money.

Agreed

I got raped on here for saying such things a couple of weeks ago

:facepalm:

Having said all this, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Llambias is actually looking for him to go. He's 27 in a couple of weeks, that £7m or whatever looks a lot nicer when you consider we didn't pay a fee for him and we've got Cisse now. There's also still the potential knee thing which is an ongoing risk. I can easily imagine the money men fancying themselves to make another unpopular decision and coming out smelling of roses. Just got to hope they can trade up again if this is the case.

am i the only one who thinks he can do a very good job on the left of a 4-3-3? in the last few games hes been poor, but i think thats just a confidence issue. before that he looked really good there and brought a lot of quality to the team. 

You're not alone. He was a pivotal cog in that 4-3-3 formation that saw us go on a 6 match winning run. Anybody advocating selling him (by choice) needs their heads checked.

Having said all this, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Llambias is actually looking for him to go. He's 27 in a couple of weeks, that £7m or whatever looks a lot nicer when you consider we didn't pay a fee for him and we've got Cisse now. There's also still the potential knee thing which is an ongoing risk. I can easily imagine the money men fancying themselves to do make another unpopular decision and coming out smelling of roses. Just got to hope they can trade up again if this is the case.

Fair point actually, it would a decision that was arguably correct if we had a striker signing lined up.

Having said all this, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Llambias is actually looking for him to go. He's 27 in a couple of weeks, that £7m or whatever looks a lot nicer when you consider we didn't pay a fee for him and we've got Cisse now. There's also still the potential knee thing which is an ongoing risk. I can easily imagine the money men fancying themselves to do make another unpopular decision and coming out smelling of roses. Just got to hope they can trade up again if this is the case.

I see your point, however from that reported 7 million we would supposedly only get half. Also, his reported wages are quite low compared to other 15+ goal a season forwards. I cannot see us replacing him with a player of similar quality without having to shell out significantly more on transfer fees, signing fees and wages. He has a contract for another 2 years, so if we are even thinking along those lines, why not do it next summer? Of course, all this is from our perspective. If the clause rumours are true we may not have a choice, but that's a completely different discussion which I think may be influencing people's thought process regarding our summer plans..

he played, and everyone has been saying how he doesn't look fit or happy. as the seasons went on he's looked less happy so i guess it'll come down to his happiness as opposed to anything we do. i don't want us busting the bank to keep a player who may not suit our preferred formation and has injury worries.

Not sure I can grasp the logic behind being not arsed about proven Premier League goalscorers walking away. It's as if they are really easy to come across.

We've done really fucking well to have two on our books and it's one of the main reasons we have a massive advantage on everybody else in the league. We should be doing everything possible to keep all our best players together.

:thup:

Meh, I trust the club to make the right decision in this sort of situation.

Most of the factors involved in deciding whether to renegotiate his contract or allow him to leave are psychological/emotional, so it's impossible for us to make an accurate assessment from the outside.

Meh, I trust the club to make the right decision in this sort of situations. Most of the factors involved would be psychological/emotional, so it's impossible for us to make an accurate assessment from the outside.

it may not be the clubs decision.

he played, and everyone has been saying how he doesn't look fit or happy. as the seasons went on he's looked less happy so i guess it'll come down to his happiness as opposed to anything we do. i don't want us busting the bank to keep a player who may not suit our preferred formation and has injury worries.

If he's not happy why would he entertain the idea of a new contract (which I think is where you're going at with the "busting the bank to keep a player..." statement?), or even come out inviting interested parties to trigger the supposed release clause? As far as I am concerned Pardew is doing the right thing: try to make him feel wanted and committed to the club. If it fails and he leaves (which isn't unlikely unfortunately), by all means move on and try to make us a stronger team by getting in a replacement better suited to the wide role in 4-3-2, but until then why would we be actively trying to get rid of one of the best forwards in the past Premiership season who we got for free on a relatively low wage?

If he's not happy why would he entertain the idea of a new contract (which I think is where you're going at with the "busting the bank to keep a player..." statement?), or even come out inviting interested parties to trigger the supposed release clause? As far as I am concerned Pardew is doing the right thing: try to make him feel wanted and committed to the club. If it fails and he leaves (which isn't unlikely unfortunately), by all means move on and try to make us a stronger team by getting in a replacement better suited to the wide role in 4-3-2, but until then why would we be actively trying to get rid of one of the best forwards in the past Premiership season who we got for free on a relatively low wage?

i'm not actively trying to get rid of him, i've said a couple of times of my last few posts that I want him to stay, but that I think he'll choose otherwise.

when Cisse gets injured, what other finisher have we got (other than Ba)?

we need to negotiate a new contract for the boy with the clause taken out.

he signed a 3 year contract, 2 years left now, makes perfect sense to start talking with him.

Meh, I trust the club to make the right decision in this sort of situations. Most of the factors involved would be psychological/emotional, so it's impossible for us to make an accurate assessment from the outside.

it may not be the clubs decision.

They do have the option of giving him a new, more lucrative deal that could convince him to stay, possibly with assurances of first-team football.

Up to them to decide whether that's wise or not.