Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

I love Ba, and i hope he stays.

But we should not alter the formation to fit him in.

We was so much better in a 433/4231.

Next season we will have shitloads of matches, so he will get a fair share for matches as a pure striker me thinks.

Guest Roger Kint

We'll have shit loads of games next season, plenty of games for him to be playing up front on his own while Cisse rests and vise versa.

Fuck off with your common sense man and start looking for bad omens :lol:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-demba-ba-showdown-talks-1139862

Pardew has told Ba he will be used in a more central attacking position for more games - including a huge increase in work load caused by the Europa League - and that he is searching for a way of getting the best out of his talents.

Pardew faced questions for the first time after the summer break yesterday and sent a strong message to rivals considering plundering his fifth places finishers that "inflated" prices will be forced on any buyer.

On the Ba saga he admitted: "I just think the whole thing with Demba has been constant and whether that changes now I don't know. I've not seen any sign from Demba since he came back that suggests he wants to find another club. I don't sense that at all.

"I genuinely don't see a situation where he wants to move on. He has not stressed to me he wants to move to pastures new.

"He has said to me he wants some reassurance from me. He wants a more striking role this season and I think he will.

"He played a couple of roles that were unorthodox for me last season to help the team, that's the sort of person he is. He wants to play through the middle and score goals, that's what he does best.

"He has a contract to Newcastle and he is loved here. He had a brilliant, especially the first half, last season. After the African Nations, I think it did not go as well for him as it could have.

"That is something we will look at because we want him to be at his very, very best. But we are planning for him to have another great season with us."

Positive comments, wonder what he can mean by the bit in bold though. More 4-4-2? Surely he doesn't mean Cisse out wide.

:whatdidido:

The thing is Ba did actually spend quite a bit of time centrally in the 4-3-3- and all of this would probably be ignored if he'd have had a bit more luck in front of goal. As quite often Cisse would score early so Ba would spend the majority of his time centrally for the rest of the game to try and get a goal. At times to the detriment of the team might I add.

4-4-2 doesn't have to be hoofball, as we will probably see when we phase out Williamson and Simpson.

For some reason I cannot imagine a backline of 'Santon Coloccini Douglas* Debuchy*' being set out to contain teams and hit it long.

*The style of players we are looking to bring in atleast.

The thing is Ba did actually spend quite a bit of time centrally in the 4-3-3- and all of this would probably be ignored if he'd have had a bit more luck in front of goal. As quite often Cisse would score early so Ba would spend the majority of his time centrally for the rest of the game to try and get a goal. At times to the detriment of the team might I add.

Totally, they were rotating pretty well at times. If Ba had picked up a couple of goals we probably wouldn't be worrying about this.

I don't think he's ideal for the 4-3-3 role, but he's good enough and will also get opportunities when Cisse is out.

4-4-2 doesn't have to be hoofball but what we saw last season was that 4-4-2 almost always ended up with us playing hoofball.  The fluid 4-3-3 gave us so much more in terms of movement and options on the ball.

We ended up playing hoofball because of Williamson and Simpson. I think it's that simple. Get Douglas and Debuchy in and i'm confident that 4-4-2 won't mean hoofball.

That's basically it for me. I don't believe it was a tactic, I think it was because of player limitations. I do prefer 4-3-3 though.