Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

If Ba leaves we need two strikers/advanced wide men.

If Ba were to leave we'd need two strikers in. One who's good enough to start for us and drop into the wider role when required, plus a Best replacement.

:thup:

If we're classing players like Hoillett as advanced wide men I wouldn't say even that would suffice, it would leave us with Shola as third choice striker which, as much as I love the bloke, simply isn't on if we're wanting to consolidate our position or even try to push on.

If we're classing players like Hoillett as advanced wide men I wouldn't say even that would suffice, it would leave us with Shola as third choice striker which, as much as I love the bloke, simply isn't on if we're wanting to consolidate our position or even try to push on.

not too bad as a 3rd choice if you're only planning on one through the middle striker.

i'd settle for one, a midfielder, centre half and debuchy.

I would too simply because I'm not massively confident we'll get those other players, which I agree we need.

I'd be a little wary of going into the year with Marv, Shola, Jonas and Obertan as our primary backups in the front three though.

not too bad as a 3rd choice if you're only planning on one through the middle striker.

Aye, I'd be hoping we'd sign someone like a Remy who plays wide when Cisse is in the team but can be the main striker too so we're not relying on Shola to be primary backup to Cisse.

We should have never sold Best :(

Certainly not if Ba fucks off and fatty arbuckle isn't preprared to take one in the balls just to get a couple of strikers over the line.

To put it in context we would be trying to replace to two for £5m each.

The thing is, just as an example, say we replace Ba with Hoilett, it would lead us to play in a more rigid formation almost resembling a 4-5-1. That's because someone like him would be too similar to Ben Arfa so you'd end up with those two on either wing with Cisse having to stay completely central, so you're essentially restricting both Cisse and Ben Arfa and tying them down to one specific position, which would be to the detriment of the team. It's a subtle, but, IMO, massive change.

Obviously, like Shak suggested, someone like Remy who is capable of playing both centrally as a striker and out wide would be ideal, but I don't think there are many players in that mould and more importantly players like that who would be available to us.

The thing is, just as an example, say we replace Ba with Hoilett, it would lead us to play in a more rigid formation almost resembling a 4-5-1. That's because someone like him would be too similar to Ben Arfa so you'd end up with those two on either wing with Cisse having to stay completely central, so you're essentially restricting both Cisse and Ben Arfa and tying them down to one specific position, which would be to the detriment of the team. It's a subtle, but, IMO, massive change.

Obviously, like Shak suggested, someone like Remy who is capable of playing both centrally as a striker and out wide would be ideal, but I don't think there are many players in that mould and more importantly players like that who would be available to us.

I can only guess that the people who think Ba going wouldn't be a problem don't actually go to games and think he must have been shite because he wasn't scoring.

Completely agree (despite not being to a game in a while...).

I can only guess that the people who think Ba going wouldn't be a problem don't actually go to games and think he must have been shite because he wasn't scoring.

Definitely. I'd be willing to wager a fair amount that if Ba had offered the same level of performances in the second half of the season, but managed to net a couple tap-ins that there would be non of this.

No, as I said I think he's a good player but if he's going to refuse to play in the position that he occupied when the team played by far it's best football last year then that's a problem.

Nice snide dig all the same. :(

I can only guess that the people who think Ba going wouldn't be a problem don't actually go to games and think he must have been s**** because he wasn't scoring.

are many saying it wouldn't be a problem ? just not a problem of the cisse, colo, tiote or cabaye leaving magnitude

No, as I said I think he's a good player but if he's going to refuse to play in the position that he occupied when the team played by far it's best football last year then that's a problem.

Nice snide dig all the same. :(

:lol:

It wasn't aimed at you.

Excuse me. But for f*** sake. Not many here wants to sell him just like that. Just questing his starting position. We already are short of forwards and I think that you at least should have 3 really good ones and 1 up and coming.

Right now - with Ba - we only have him and Cissé. Shola. nja. Good for 15-20 minutes, at best.

Excuse me. But for fuck sake. Not many here wants to sell him just like that. Just questing his starting position. We already are short of forwards and I think that you at least should have 3 really good ones and 1 up and coming.

I think any comments are directed to those who aren't bothered about him leaving, just a hunch though mind :dontknow:

Chances are he'll come good again IMO. Towards the end of the season he was getting more and more chances. A couple of those hit the net and he'll be firing again.

There are issues with whether he's ideal for a 4-3-3, but it remains to be seen if we'll even be playing that system.

are many saying it wouldn't be a problem ? just not a problem of the cisse, colo, tiote or cabaye leaving magnitude

I didn't say that "many" were saying it wouldn't be a problem.  Also Ba had as good a first half of the season as Cisse had a 2nd half so why is losing Ba less of a problem?  Ba has a record which is close to a goal every other game for us, he didn't do that by luck, I would say that it was bad luck that kept his record lower than it deserved to be.

I didn't say that "many" were saying it wouldn't be a problem.  Also Ba had as good a first half of the season as Cisse had a 2nd half so why is losing Ba less of a problem?  Ba has a record which is close to a goal every other game for us, he didn't do that by luck, I would say that it was bad luck that kept his record lower than it deserved to be.

ba had a good start due to the way we played. as the style changed so did his performances. the move in position affetcted him to the point where the ball stuck to him early on in the season in a way it didn't later on.