Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

I think it's worth mentioning in this thread that Cisse played tonight, wide in a front 3. Got his head down, did his job and scored a goal as well. Good character that.

Bit needless tbh, Ba put in good shifts on the wing for half the season despite being exceptional in the centre carrying us at times with his goals.

Might be a better comparison if Cisse had to do it for more than one game.

I think it's worth mentioning in this thread that Cisse played tonight, wide in a front 3. Got his head down, did his job and scored a goal as well. Good character that.

Bit needless tbh, Ba put in good shifts on the wing for half the season despite being exceptional in the centre carrying us at times with his goals.

Might be a better comparison if Cisse had to do it for more than one game.

Agree with the first bit. Cisse has done it for more than one game, they were inter changing quite a lot in the front 3 last season. Cisse was doing a lot of defending in the left back position too in certain games.

Cisse and Ba seem like different characters and on top of the difficulties of getting a partnership of two number 9s going, it wouldn't surprise me if there was some personal tension there - particularly given Ba's open wish to play down the centre.

I'm going to get some flak here, but Cisse looks a more relaxed and uninhibited player now when Ba isn't there, and that can rub off on the team as a whole. Ba seems quite an assertive character and sometimes a team pays a price for that.

You seem desperate to invent a problem.

Well it now seems to be a mainstream opinion that there is some kind of problem in the Ba-Cisse partnership. The debate is about whether it's solveable.

I just wonder if we've got a similar situation to Drogba at Chelsea. He was a strong character who was very difficult to leave out on ability as well, but now he's gone, Torres and the whole of the team look a lot better.

Well it now seems to be a mainstream opinion that there is some kind of problem in the Ba-Cisse partnership. The debate is about whether it's solveable.

I just wonder if we've got a similar situation to Drogba at Chelsea. He was a strong character who was very difficult to leave out on ability as well, but now he's gone, Torres and the whole of the team look a lot better.

thats not whats going on here, its just a mere dip in form which cisse is coming out of.

Bad example. If Drogba was 27 they wouldn't have Fernando Tores. Furthermore, the previous team was built for Drogba and this team Torres.If a manager got the most out of Drogba, Chelsea won trophies.

The biggest problem is the team hasn't been playing well and we've not been creating enough varied chances. No more complicated than that IMO. This personal tension bullshit is the kind of thing I'd expect the mackems to invent tbh.

The biggest problem is the team hasn't been playing well and we've not been creating enough varied chances. No more complicated than that IMO. This personal tension bullshit is the kind of thing I'd expect the mackems to invent tbh.

Agree with this :thup: Although I do think the Dembas have been occupying the same space rather frequently for the little service they have received. I'd hope Pardew is slowly addressing this, and telling one to come to the near post occasionally.

I actually think Demba works well centrally, but a little deeper. 4-4-1-1 would be good IMO.

Agree with this :thup: Although I do think the Dembas have been occupying the same space rather frequently for the little service they have received. I'd hope Pardew is slowly addressing this, and telling one to come to the near post occasionally.

I actually think Demba works well centrally, but a little deeper. 4-4-1-1 would be good IMO.

I think that playing Cisse on the right the other night was a good idea, hopefully we're trying to get him working the channels a bit more.

Why shouldnt Cisse play off Ba? Theyve been equally efficient as the lead striker.

I would say because Ba is more suited to the role.  Cisse plays better up front leading the line, getting in the box whereas Ba has the ability to drop deeper and still create chances and score.

Cisse and Ba seem like different characters and on top of the difficulties of getting a partnership of two number 9s going, it wouldn't surprise me if there was some personal tension there - particularly given Ba's open wish to play down the centre.

I'm going to get some flak here, but Cisse looks a more relaxed and uninhibited player now when Ba isn't there, and that can rub off on the team as a whole. Ba seems quite an assertive character and sometimes a team pays a price for that.

And surrounded by disruptive influences too, namely his agent (Gontran) and his brother (who went on the attack via Twitter, after starting on the bench at Everton). Too many parties have a vested financial interest, in the short-term, courtesy of the 7m release clause while the window is still open. And he has been a frequent flyer in the transfer market, in a short of space of time. And i think this down to the influence of the aformentioned additional parties, similar to the effect the Anelka brothers had on N.Anelka - they just filled the lads head with so much destabilising shit (particularly early in his career).

Now, agent Alex Gontran has informed the world that his his client 'does not understand the management' of Newcastle.

'Since returning from the Africa Cup of Nations, Demba doesn't understand the management,' said Gontran.

'If he continues to be a substitute all season, we'll look at other solutions.

'How could you put your best striker with full confidence on the left wing?

'The choice to put Demba on the left last season was good for the club, because Cisse scored 13 goals.

'But there was a lack of recognition for Demba. It is more difficult to play well when you don't have the confidence of your staff.

There would have been some sort of warning from the gaffer, or worse under Souness if Robert had spoken his mind in a similar fashion in relation to how the manager was using him out on the pitch.

Why shouldnt Cisse play off Ba? Theyve been equally efficient as the lead striker.

I would say because Ba is more suited to the role.  Cisse plays better up front leading the line, getting in the box whereas Ba has the ability to drop deeper and still create chances and score.

agree. very obvious imo.

• 2 weeks later...