Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Pardew said in pre-match conference that there had been an apology from Ba about the comments etc

Not sure he's got anything to apologise for. His agent shit stirring ? 

I've certainly seen nothing directly attributed to Demba which wasn't positive about him and NUFC.

I for one loved his "angry" reaction to being dropped at Everton, I'd be disappointed if a top player didn't get upset at not being picked. Perfectly natural behaviour - until the media twist it of course.

Pardew said in pre-match conference that there had been an apology from Ba about the comments etc

Not sure he's got anything to apologise for. His agent s*** stirring ? 

I've certainly seen nothing directly attributed to Demba which wasn't positive about him and NUFC.

I for one loved his "angry" reaction to being dropped at Everton, I'd be disappointed if a top player didn't get upset at not being picked. Perfectly natural behaviour - until the media twist it of course.

I'm not sure Ba has anything to apologise for either.  I would much rather have a player who wants to play and score in every game rather than a player like Owen who only cares about money and is happy to sit on his arse to earn his wages.

I've never understood anybody moaning about players who actually want to play, even if the player sometimes goes a bit over the top and spits him dummy out about not getting games.

He can be angry for himself. In the public he should support the team and manager. Speaking in general here. It's not like it was a crazy decision to mix it up a bit, and leave Ba out.

He did support the team in the best way that he could, he earned us a point from a game that was going away from us.

He can be angry for himself. In the public he should support the team and manager. Speaking in general here. It's not like it was a crazy decision to mix it up a bit, and leave Ba out.

He did support the team in the best way that he could, he earned us a point from a game that was going away from us.

He should score goals, as that's his job. And job well done, indeed. That's not to say he shouldn't respect the managers decision to leave him out, when we clearly could do with mixing it up. It's a team game, simple as.

He should score goals, as that's his job. And job well done, indeed. That's not to say he shouldn't respect the managers decision to leave him out, when we clearly could do with mixing it up. It's a team game, simple as.

Ba has been our best forward this season and wasn't the obvious forward to drop, why should he respect that decision?

On the same weekend, Ferguson dropped Van Persie, Kagawa, Evra, Valencia and De Gea yet they didn't cause a fuss publicly because they're professionals. I love Demba but there does seem to be a grey cloud following him at the moment. Hope it gets sorted out but I'm not hopeful.

DEMBA BA and Papiss Cisse will be given the job of shooting down Norwich City today – but both have been warned they must find their best form and soon.

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew revealed yesterday that Ba had apologised for what his agent Alex Gortan said after last Monday’s draw with Everton, when he claimed his client had not been shown enough respect and would quit the Magpies if he wasn’t a regular starter.

Ba came on at half-time at Goodison Park and scored twice to win his side a point in a 2-2 draw, but last season’s sensation Cisse is yet to score for his club and had looked well off the pace.

Both strikers will be given another chance by their boss this afternoon at St James’ Park in a game Newcastle are desperate to win after three Premier League fixtures without a victory.

But while Pardew retains confidence in his two Senegalese stars, they are under strict orders to start scoring goals.

The Toon boss said: “Ba and Cisse will start. Make no mistake about that.

“But we need them back to their best because they haven’t been at their best, either of them, until that second half at Everton when I thought, suddenly, ‘Here we go’.”

Asked whether the Ba story had been overblown, Pardew added: “Well I think so. In all honesty, Demba hasn’t been playing well. But he came on (at Everton) and proved what a great player he is, and he is a great player.

“But we all need to focus our minds on the job in hand and that’s what we’re doing.

“Demba and I are quite intelligent about the way we go about things. He’s an intelligent boy. Things have been said from within his camp, which I think have been unfortunate. We’ve had somewhat of an apology for that as well and we look forward to the game on Sunday.”

Pardew insisted he did not drop Ba last week to make a point.

He said: “I don’t think he deserves that and I certainly wouldn’t go down that line.

“I think he’s far too intelligent, and I am, to fall into that trap.”

Cheick Tiote may start on the bench, while Vurnon Anita is available after becoming a father to a baby girl on Thursday.

4-4-2 :(

Play it like we did against Everton in the second half, that was attacking not just sitting too deep.

Aye, Cabaye and Ben Arfa was further forward and Cisse and Ba wasn't really getting in the way of each other i'd be fine with 2nd half Everton every week tbh.

The system isn't the main issue, it's our movement off the ball.

In the 4-4-2 only Ben Arfa and Jonas ever stray from their position at all. The two CM's both sit deep (Cabaye really needs to get into more advanced positions) and neither striker has been working the channels at all.

We've tried to play it on the ground more this year, but it's not as simple as just deciding to pass it around a bit. We've ended up playing it long a lot simply because the movement off the ball isn't good enough for us to consistently pass the ball through teams.

Long term I think a 4-2-3-1 is the way to go for our squad, but switching to it now won't cure all our problems by any means.

In the 4-4-2 only Ben Arfa and Jonas ever stray from their position at all. The two CM's both sit deep (Cabaye really needs to get into more advanced positions) and neither striker has been working the channels at all.

We've tried to play it on the ground more this year, but it's not as simple as just deciding to pass it around a bit. We've ended up playing it long a lot simply because the movement off the ball isn't good enough for us to consistently pass the ball through teams.

Long term I think a 4-2-3-1 is the way to go for our squad, but switching to it now won't cure all our problems by any means.

Agree with that.  You can't expect to play an attacking game at home when you have Jonas on the left and Cabaye who when in a central midfield two naturally seems to sit back.  The front two in that formation become horribly isolated which is what we've seen recently when we play that formation at home.  It's not as much of a problem when playing away but it becomes a huge one when you're against a team who has set up to soak up pressure - they will be clearing up long balls to Ba and Cisse all day with little trouble.

I'd like to see us try Marveaux and Ben Arfa either side of Ba or Cisse at home (with Marveaux on the left as opposed to the right where he looks much less effective), and make sure Cabaye is pushed up forward where he can make effective through balls and pull the strings with two more defensive-minded midfielders like Tiote and Anita/Perch backing it up and protecting the back four.  It's vital with two DMs though to have full backs who can actually attack - no problems with Santon on the one side but Simpson on the other is a different story.  This is partly why the fact that we missed out on Debuchy was such a bitter pill to swallow.

Agree completely.

There are several issues with the 4-4-2, including a lack of movement off the ball, but the main one was that we had two right-footers down the left, and one left-footer down the right, leaving us completely unbalanced.

We addressed that at Everton and looked a lot better for it. If we're going 4-4-2 again today i'll be frustrated if it's not left-HBA/right-Jonas.