Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Guest icemanblue

We're always going to have players with uncertain futures or that richer clubs are interested in. The Demba situation is fucking annoying but really it's not that unusual.

Yep. It's pointless getting annoyed by it. For me, he hasn't acted like a prick. He's obviously keeping his options open, which he has the right to do. The latest interview, whilst undesirable, has been blown out of all proportion. If he stays, great. If he leaves, we move on.

Guest Roger Kint

We're always going to have players with uncertain futures or that richer clubs are interested in. The Demba situation is fucking annoying but really it's not that unusual.

Given his moves from Germany and how we got him its anything but surprising. You dont have the advisors or clause unless you have a desire to move on if better chances arrive.

Especially when we buy them in the smoke and daggers way that we do, targeting permanently unsettled players and players on knock-off deals. They knew what they were getting when they bought Ba, both on and off-field. He turned up at West Ham after going on strike and had a very similar clause that we profited from.

It's funny to see how the more rhetoric the club puts out the more turn against him, it's like all our sales recently. They're not daft lads are Dekka and Slim Mike.

As long as he keeps playing well and scoring/creating goals I couldn't give a shit tbh, modern football is modern football unfortunately. Give me a mercenary producing the goods like Ba or Jose or Nolan over some slack jawed yokel loyal player like Taylor or Shola any day of the week.

It's also weird how many people who are disgusted with Ba lap it up when a player throws some comments our way. You can't have it both ways.

Its not unusual to have clubs after our top players no but it is to have a stupid £7.5m clause hanging over us transfer window after transfer window.

Yep. It's pointless getting annoyed by it. For me, he hasn't acted like a prick. He's obviously keeping his options open, which he has the right to do. The latest interview, whilst undesirable, has been blown out of all proportion. If he stays, great. If he leaves, we move on.

:thup:

Its not unusual to have clubs after our top players no but it is to have a stupid £7.5m clause hanging over us transfer window after transfer window.

True, but that's a detail. Even if there wasn't a clause his agent would be looking for a better deal for him and the press would be stirring it.

It does make it more scary for us obviously, but I still think the deal for potential buyers isn't as sweet as it sounds.

Guest Roger Kint

What if the only way he would sign for us was to have that clause? Stupid £7.5m > Missing out on a quality striker.

We werent the only ones in for him at the time so the chances are we didnt have a choice but accept if we wanted him.

Especially when we buy them in the smoke and daggers way that we do, targeting permanently unsettled players and players on knock-off deals. They knew what they were getting when they bought Ba, both on and off-field. He turned up at West Ham after going on strike and had a very similar clause that we profited from.

It's funny to see how the more rhetoric the club puts out the more turn against him, it's like all our sales recently. They're not daft lads are Dekka and Slim Mike.

As long as he keeps playing well and scoring/creating goals I couldn't give a shit tbh, modern football is modern football unfortunately. Give me a mercenary producing the goods like Ba or Jose or Nolan over some slack jawed yokel loyal player like Taylor or Shola any day of the week.

It's also weird how many people who are disgusted with Ba lap it up when a player throws some comments our way. You can't have it both ways.

Spot on.

What if the only way he would sign for us was to have that clause? Stupid £7.5m > Missing out on a quality striker.

We werent the only ones in for him at the time so the chances are we didnt have a choice but accept if we wanted him.

As I said in the other thread, it might even be that Ba wanted the clause set at something like £5m, so we actually did OK to make him that bit less attractive to buyers.

Guest Roger Kint

As I said in the other thread, it might even be that Ba wanted the clause set at something like £5m, so we actually did OK to make him that bit less attractive to buyers.

That wouldnt be far wrong to suggest Ian tbh. He negotiated a FREE from West Ham on relegation so its not unlikely he wanted similar here.

We're always going to have players with uncertain futures or that richer clubs are interested in. The Demba situation is f***ing annoying but really it's not that unusual.

As long as he keeps playing well and scoring/creating goals I couldn't give a s*** tbh, modern football is modern football unfortunately. Give me a mercenary producing the goods like Ba or Jose or Nolan over some slack jawed yokel loyal player like Taylor or Shola any day of the week.

A lot of cloak & mirrors conjecture in your claims here  :lol:

Hope we do a citeh /barton with him when he leaves.

Well you may have a £7.5m release clause, and you may be entitled to half of it, but unless we receive £7.5m in full you are going nowhere.

Do you understand the legal implications of a contract?

Do you understand what a flippant remark is?

Well you may have a £7.5m release clause, and you may be entitled to half of it, but unless we receive £7.5m in full you are going nowhere.

I bet the fee has to be paid in full as part of the contract, no instalments.

I bet the fee has to be paid in full as part of the contract, no instalments.

Aye. A release fee has usually to be deposited in full and with tax taken care of; most selling clubs end up negotiating installments and strategies to lessen the tax/fees burden but if NUFC want to resist the sale the club can go to the letter of the contract and the actual price for the purchasing club could increase to 10m+ easily (even if NUFC only gets 7.5m of it).

That's what Spanish clubs do to resist "hostile" release fee activations.

As people have said before, the release clause can't be mega-attractive or someone would have already activated. With us probably asking for all the money at once, plus Ba's fitness history and dodgy/expensive agent(s), I bet it's not that clear cut that someone will be able to do a deal.

Not sure I'd dismiss are QPR so easily. Attraction of London goes a long way for foreign players, plus bigger wages, a good manager known for attacking football, some big name talents there already and the possibility of another lucrative release clause should they go down. And we're not exactly pissing on them so far this season.

Not sure I'd dismiss are QPR so easily. Attraction of London goes a long way for foreign players, plus bigger wages, a good manager known for attacking football, some big name talents there already and the possibility of another lucrative release clause should they go down. And we're not exactly pissing on them so far this season.

Makes the weekend a no-win game for Ba:

He either doesn't play well, and he's sulking because he wants to move to QPR or he batters them and is trying to impress his prospective buyers! [/AshleyPress]