Mevlüt Erdinç

Guest sicko2ndbest

It's OK, any club that needed a striker this bad would have a back up plan in place.

erm he was the back up plan?

he was back up plan 3 or 4 wasnt he? how many back up plans are left before we get to Carlton Cole :frantic:...

Worst transfer chase EVER!

Eh, what about Kuyt?

This is true.

1 May 2006

KUYT CAN FLY HIGH FOR TOON

GERMANY 2006 GROUP C: ARGENTINA, HOLLAND, IVORY COAST, SERBIA & MONTENEGRO HOLLAND Previous tournaments: 7 Best: Runners-up (1974, 1978)

By Bill Mills

THE price tag on his head is huge: £10million is Feyenoord's asking price for top scorer Dirk Kuyt.

But the powerful Dutch striker is desperate to play in the Premiership after the World Cup finals and relishes the opportunity to succeed Alan Shearer at Newcastle.

In fact, Kuyt wants to use the stage in Germany to clinch his dream transfer after both Tottenham and Arsenal decided to turn to other strikers.

Arsene Wenger flew to Holland two months ago to see Kuyt in action. The player had been in bed all week with flu and still had a temperature, and Wenger was not impressed with his performance. But Kuyt's decision to go and play despite his illness summed up his character and attitude.

"He's the hardest-working striker I have got,'' says Dutch coach Marco van Basten.

Kuyt is not the most elegant striker, which is probably why Europe's biggest clubs have not dared to splash a fortune on him.

"But he is worth every penny," says Van Basten. "He scores goals at any level, against any opposition, and he's the most fantastic person in a squad. He is the ideal captain at his club."

In his last 140 league matches, Kuyt has scored 96 goals - roughly two in every three matches. Which explains why he was top scorer in the Netherlands for two successive seasons.

Kuyt has also just been named Dutch player of the year.

Spurs boss Martin Jol is a big fan, but decided to go for Bulgarian international Dimitar Berbatov instead.

That leaves the door open for Toon, which is where Kuyt would love to fill the vacancy Shearer is leaving behind.

Kuyt resembles everything Shearer was as a player. He is a family man who only wants to play for a working-class team and scores goals more regularly than anybody else.

Even his football style is similar to Shearer. Strong in the air, he can hold the ball up well and is forever motivating his team-mates.

Kuyt says: "I would love to play in the North-East. When I was young I loved Italian football. But only because Van Basten, Rijkaard and Gullit were playing for AC Milan.

"Now I'd rather play in England. I love English football. I also think my style of play is completely right for the Premiership.

"A club like Newcastle would be my dream."