Mevlüt Erdinç

Guest sicko2ndbest

Gameiro to Long is a bit of a f***ing let down like :lol:

This chat and the stuff that Dave keeps spouting (onto a lower priced striker, option Z, etc.) - would some people be happier if we didn't try and aim for the likes of Gaimero and just went straight for a league 1 striker who'd be desperate to come here?

While we don't have European football (and haven't had for the past 5 years), we're still going to be a lesser draw for established/proven top league strikers throughout Europe.

We can counter-act this by:

a) signing unproven strikers, who are young with something about them - we can sell them the "stepping stone" idea (with an aim to regaining our European place while they're still on the books)

b) throw lots of money at them with big wages and signing on fees (leading to wage-inflation throughout the club, see 2007-10 as an example)

c) sign lesser players who might have a point to prove/questionable temperament or commitment (not ideal for squad harmony)

d) just signing more centre midfielders

Back to the Spurs model then?

If Long's available for £5m there's absolutely no reason to get shot of Best. I'd be happy enough with Ba, Long and Best as our 3 strikers for the season with Ben Arfa supporting them too.

If Long's available for £5m there's absolutely no reason to get shot of Best. I'd be happy enough with Ba, Long and Best as our 3 strikers for the season with Ben Arfa supporting them too.

IF Best's prepared to be third choice yes.

IF Best's prepared to be third choice yes.

Best would be 4th choice I reckon. I think Ben Arfa will be supporting a forward with 4 midfielders behin him.

We all know Shola's going to be in there, no matter how much we wish he wasn't.

Shola could play a part imo.

Pards keeps mentioning him.  He'll be one of our 4 main strikers fo sho

We all know Shola's going to be in there, no matter how much we wish he wasn't.

Shola could play a part imo.

I agree, in a more mobile team that keeps the ball better he might actually look half decent.

They might be able to keep up with him, by keep up with him I mean not his pace obviously but the pace he manages to get himself offside :lol:

Guest BooBoo

Shola is going to get the 9 shirt I reckon. I'm predicting some bollocks from

Pardew about his services over the years making him worthy of the shirt.

And there will be hell on, on here.

:puke:

Very plausible......

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/07/09/2567046/mevlut-erding-rejects-newcastle-united-as-75m-deal-for-the

“The move for Erding is now dead in the water and they are looking at other targets,” a source close to the talks told Goal.com.

“They weren’t prepared to pay him what he wanted because they are trying to run a tight ship wage-wise and that’s why has decided to stay put.

“They are now scratching their heads as to what to do next because as far as I know they do not have a specific target in mind now the Erding deal has fallen through.

“But one thing is for sure - they will be sticking to their guns and going for a young, up-and-coming player.”

Interesting angle on things that I didn't see earlier. Before anyone moans about the source, the author is Rob Stewart who also writes for the Telegraph.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/07/09/2567046/mevlut-erding-rejects-newcastle-united-as-75m-deal-for-the

“The move for Erding is now dead in the water and they are looking at other targets,” a source close to the talks told Goal.com.

“They weren’t prepared to pay him what he wanted because they are trying to run a tight ship wage-wise and that’s why has decided to stay put.

“They are now scratching their heads as to what to do next because as far as I know they do not have a specific target in mind now the Erding deal has fallen through.

“But one thing is for sure - they will be sticking to their guns and going for a young, up-and-coming player.”

Interesting angle on things that I didn't see earlier. Before anyone moans about the source, the author is Rob Stewart who also writes for the Telegraph.

That's hardly inspiring news :undecided:

Again, still plenty of time. If we can't find a player in 7 weeks then we should just close down our scouting network.

We needed a striker going into January. I would hope that 6-8 months would be long enough to come up with more than one or two targets.

Again, still plenty of time. If we can't find a player in 7 weeks then we should just close down our scouting network.

We needed a striker going into January. I would hope that 6-8 months would be long enough to come up with more than one or two targets.

Haven't we already gone for 4 and got one?

We did fail in January though.

Haven't we already gone for 4 and got one?

We did fail in January though.

We've gone for Gameiro and Erdinc. I'd be amazed if we planned on going for Ba.