Mevlüt Erdinç

Guest sicko2ndbest

None of this is convincing me it was the right thing to do to sell Andy Carroll. Sorry.

Proof will be this season when we see what Carroll's done at Liverpool, and what Erding & Ba have done here.

We could have signed Ba anyway, and probably wouldn't even need Erding.

But if Carroll doesn't live upto his price tag at Liverpool and Erding does a job here, that justifies it imo.

I couldn't give a fuck what Liverpool do, nor what his price tag was. Carroll was banging them in for us, that's all I care about.

The justification for the Carroll bid being 'too good to turn down' was that the money would be used to improve the first team and squad. I whinged all along about not selling him at any price and lots of people assured me that not only would we easily replace Carroll's goals with that money, we'd have loads left to significantly overhaul the squad and would do so.

I'd still rather have kept Carroll.

Yup. Genuinely thought we'd spend the money and feel well and truly strung along.

Worth it more than some new nets and a greener pitch.

None of this is convincing me it was the right thing to do to sell Andy Carroll. Sorry.

Proof will be this season when we see what Carroll's done at Liverpool, and what Erding & Ba have done here.

But if Carroll doesn't live upto his price tag at Liverpool and Erding does a job here, that justifies it imo.

I couldn't give a f*** what Liverpool do, nor what his price tag was. Carroll was banging them in for us, that's all I care about.

:smitten:

I couldn't give a fuck what Liverpool do, nor what his price tag was. Carroll was banging them in for us, that's all I care about.

Exactly, Carroll's career was showing no signs of tailing off at Newcastle, quite the opposite so even if he's a bit of a failure at Liverpool then I don't see what that's got to do with anything.  We have to look like a much better side next season to justify selling the best youngster we've had at the club for many years (who we got for "nowt" since he came through the academy), simple as that.

And for all those saying that we have a much better quality squad than we had last season I have a nagging feeling that we over-achieved at points last year due to the team spirit that was there, a team spirit that's showing dangerous signs of eroding imo, so we might not have that to fall back on.

There's little point speculating whether or not selling Carroll was the right or wrong decision with regards to our club tbh. In most circumstances selling Carroll for £35m is a straight forward yes. However, from the fans POV, there's absolutely no point in ever selling key players here because we know the vast majority of any fee won't be reinvested.

And for all those saying that we have a much better quality squad than we had last season I have a nagging feeling that we over-achieved at points last year due to the team spirit that was there, a team spirit that's showing dangerous signs of eroding imo, so we might not have that to fall back on.

bingo.

Exactly, Carroll's career was showing no signs of tailing off at Newcastle, quite the opposite so even if he's a bit of a failure at Liverpool then I don't see what that's got to do with anything.  We have to look like a much better side next season to justify selling the best youngster we've had at the club for many years (who we got for "nowt" since he came through the academy), simple as that.

i do wonder if the club were a bit worried about carroll's robustness. the way he played for us was crazy, putting his body on the line, super aggressive and dedicated, going in for every challenge, wrestling with centre-halves, incredible leaps into the air every few mins. there's got to be a point at which you buckle from playing at such a high intensity.

I couldn't give a f*** what Liverpool do, nor what his price tag was. Carroll was banging them in for us, that's all I care about.

i do wonder if the club were a bit worried about carroll's robustness. the way he played for us was crazy, putting his body on the line, super aggressive and dedicated, going in for every challenge, wrestling with centre-halves, incredible leaps into the air every few mins. there's got to be a point at which you buckle from playing at such a high intensity.

You take him to one side and ask him to tone it down - you don't sell him :razz:

Very narrow minded way to look at it but fair enough.

None of this is convincing me it was the right thing to do to sell Andy Carroll, sorry. We could have done the business we have this summer anyway and still have a cracking centre forward to score the goals.

Did Carrol not put in a transfer request when the club would not give him another improved contract ?

None of this is convincing me it was the right thing to do to sell Andy Carroll, sorry. We could have done the business we have this summer anyway and still have a cracking centre forward to score the goals.

Did Carrol not put in a transfer request when the club would not give him another improved contract ?

He is "forced" to submit the request - some people do believe this.

What would our level of spending have been if we didn't sell Carroll?

Assuming we were looking at a similar outlay to last summer, we'd probably be spending about 3~4 mil and filling up the rest with frees and loans.

From that standpoint, and I'm aware that this is vastly simplifying things, we'd probably have been able to sign Cabaye, Ba, Marveaux, and Abeid with or without the Carroll sale.

So essentially we traded Carroll for whichever players we end up signing from today to the end of the transfer window. It starts with Erdinc, hopefully there will be a couple players added on to that to make the bottom line look even remotely respectable.

You can't really fault Mike Ashley for wanting to repay his loan, he's got no passion for this football club and it's his money, he can do whatever he wants with it. It's certainly annoying for us as fans but no point dwelling on it I suppose.

Fuck me, go to bed on 79 pages, wake up to find 7 more on the usual fucking boring debate.

Anything happening with this in the slightest or have we ended up on the whole Ashley is a cunt, Shepherd was mint, BOYCOUTT thing again?

To me its not the fact we not spending, its more the broken promises. 

I actually agree with the clubs stance on trying to bring the financial elements under control, reduce debt and rebuild slowly.  We were only heading one way before - administration.  We could not have carried on like that, for those that think we could are blind to the truth.

However, this regime breaks its promises, or more to the point AP does.  This is the biggest source of frustration.  If they would just be straight about their intentions and communicate with the fans, all this resentment would not exist.  If, as they say they will keep the money in the club, fair enough - I suspect they wont however.

The transfer requests seems to be ignored, I will not believe in a million years that someone like Carroll would be forced to do anything.

That is not to say Ashley wasn't pulling his cock off when the bid was made, of course he was.

Once a player hands in a transfer request I don't think it's healthy to keep them. If they don't want to play for us they can go, especially if they are local and apparently supported the cub their whole lives.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Interesting. L'Equipe says Erdinç doesn't want to leave Paris SG... 'Senior sources' saying NUFC will sign soon. Mileage in this one still

Douglas

I reckon we've bypassed the Agent and he want's in on the money, hence the conflicting reports.

Very much doubt we'd be bothering with this if we didn't think he'd want to come.

Anyhow, bored of this now.