Mevlüt Erdinç

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest Heneage

In an attempt to get this thread back on track, is Erdinc actually any good?

Obviously, PSG are rather rich these days but it is still slightly worrying that they seem happy to dispose of him. Can't be much worse than Best/Shola/Loven like.

I'd say yes. In the context of our attacking options I'd say he's a replacement and upgrade for Lovenkrands. Fast, quite strong I think he'd be good foil for the likes of Ba or even out on the wing.

Does Ba dominate defences and create chances like Carroll does?

When AC's on his game, he is unstoppable. Reducing it to goals is too simple. He didn't score in the 5-1 but he set three up and they had a man sent off trying to stop him.Will Ba do all that? Let's hope so but those trying to convince themselves that we've not lost something special are living in a dream world.

Carroll dominates when the ball is hung up high in the air and there are players like Nolan who are canny at picking up the scraps. Unless Liverpool are going to drastically change the way they play, it's not nailed on he'll be as effective as he was for us. It's not as simplistic as you are making it out to be either.

How much he suits liverpool isnt that relevant, the basis for this discussion is his value whilst he was here in comparison to Ba. Though i reckon Gerrard/adams/downing etc shouldnt have to much problem finding his head.

Carroll's value to us last season was immense because with no other quality players lumping it towards Carroll was a good tactic. If we had kept him and not sold then I think we wouldn't have made the signings we have done. While I agree it seems we haven't spent as much as we should (yet) I still prefer us to spread the quality across the team rather than rely on one or two players.

Obviously, PSG are rather rich these days but it is still slightly worrying that they seem happy to dispose of him. Can't be much worse than Best/Shola/Loven like.

He was s*** a month ago but he's mint now.

nah he's not mint yet.....may well be in a week or 2 tho

He is a good player. He'll complement Ba and the midfielders we have in our squad. At the moment, it doesn't come across as the most exciting partnership in the world, but it has the potential to be an effective one.

He is a good player. He'll complement Ba and the midfielders we have in our squad. At the moment, it's not the most exciting partnership in the world, but it has the potential to be an effective one.

Pleased to hear that. Hope we can tie this one up soon, would give everyone a boost.

Guest Antec

No idea but he's getting better and better as the start of the season approaches

I'd be encouraged based on how much we've been chasing him. I'm certainly not one of those that thinks Carr is some sort of genius for discovering one good player, but the club has to back its senior spotters (including Pardew). Hopefully it's not just because we've no other ideas mind...

Aye, sounds decent. Suppose a world-beater can't be expected for the price but it looks like we could have a decent little-large partnership on our hands if we're planning on playing 4-4-2.

Hopefully if we can get him in quick we can concentrate on strengthening the defence  :harry:

He is a good player. He'll complement Ba and the midfielders we have in our squad. At the moment, it's not the most exciting partnership in the world, but it has the potential to be an effective one.

Pleased to hear that. Hope we can tie this one up soon, would give everyone a boost.

I think getting this deal done must be a priority for the hierarchy right now. After losing out on Gameiro, Gervinho and Zog (the only realistic one out of those) losing out on Erdinc as well would be a big dent in the credibility after such a drawn out chase.

I'd be encouraged based on how much we've been chasing him. I'm certainly not one of those that thinks Carr is some sort of genius for discovering one good player, but the club has to back its senior spotters (including Pardew). Hopefully it's not just because we've no other ideas mind...

It's not so much the talent aspect it's the ability to sniff out a bargain, Carr must have some connections in Europe to have such a vast knowledge of players situtations. Although i suspect it merely means he knows alot of agents, who will be happy to tout their players.

To have picked up Ben Arfa, Tiote and Cabaye for the fees we have is pretty special. Although i do agree with the sentiment that he can't get them all right. It does seem as though the club is absolutely sure about Erdinc, that's why i hope we can get him.

I think getting this deal done must be a priority for the hierarchy right now. After losing out on Gameiro, Gervinho and Zog (the only realistic one out of those) losing out on Erdinc as well would be a big dent in the credibility after such a drawn out chase.

Both Gameiro and Gervinho were drawn out chases which we lost in the end.

Can see this going the same way if the player genuinely doesn't want to come. :undecided:

I don't like the claim that "people would be happy if we paid 30m for Ba, Cabaye, and Marveaux" but I do believe that the lack of transfer fee contributes significantly to people badly underrating Ba.

Fact of the matter is he was one of the most in-form players in the league for the last third of the season and scored in excess of 1 in 2 for an abysmal West Ham side. I realize that stats are only useful when they suit your opinion(:nile:), but his form for the last three months of the season pisses all over Carroll's, in both goals scored and general play.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What's funny? The bit in bold is correct.

Carroll made what, four league appearances for Liverpool?

He was unplayable against Citeh. Why not compare the way Carroll was playing in the first half of the season, for us, to how Ba played for West Ham?!

Because it's completely irrelevant as support for my point that Ba is being underrated even though we can't compare the quality of the two players in the abstract?

fwiw i dont feel like i'm under-rating him, i think he looks like a great prospect. i've got concerns over his knee, that's all.

Both Gameiro and Gervinho were drawn out chases which we lost in the end.

Can see this going the same way if the player genuinely doesn't want to come. :undecided:

I'm assuming that he has given some indication that he's keen for the move. Gameiro and Gervinho were just long shots worth pitching for in my view. Erdinc has supposedly agreed terms and it's his agent who has held things up, touting him around in the hope of getting a bigger cut probably.

You just don't have a clue what his name is, yet you still tried to be a condescending little woofter.

I noticed Jonny has got it wrong before he said anything, daft lad.  That's why I'd edited the post before he mentioned it.

You needlessly tried to be repetitive and condescending instead of bringing relevance to the discussion. It's a recurring theme in virtually of your posts and it's extremely annoying, not to mention a complete waste of space.

You're old, where's your knowledge and maturity, man? I'd expect petty nonsense like that from a 18-year-old.

Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cabaye, Marveaux, Ba, Erding.

No ambition since we've came back up like.

And how many times do we have to remind you that Tiote was unknown?

Even the other names have some question mark of sort over them..... but i won't go there.

Unknown to who?  You?  The football world at large?  All scouts?  European scouts?

What a stupid thing to say.

relatively unknown, then. :rolleyes: Judging by your pedantic question, no player in the world is unknown since someone would know him.

BTW, it was no more stupid than your question about Golfmag's claims about Pardew. Yeah, he clearly guessed it all, didn't he?  :facepalm:

You needlessly tried to be repetitive and condescending instead of bringing relevance to the discussion. It's a recurring theme in virtually of your posts and it's extremely annoying, not to mention a complete waste of space.

You're old, where's your knowledge and maturity, man? I'd expect petty nonsense like that from a 18-year-old.

So from your general musings on here, I can only presume you're 18 or younger then?

:lol:

That's something coming from you.

So from your general musings on here, I can only presume you're 18 or younger then?

Who the hell are you? :lol:

:lol:

That's something coming from you.

I'm not the one sabotaging every thread with the same biased, narrow-minded tripe.

Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cabaye, Marveaux, Ba, Erding.

No ambition since we've came back up like.

And how many times do we have to remind you that Tiote was unknown?

Even the other names have some question mark of sort over them..... but i won't go there.

Unknown to who?  You?  The football world at large?  All scouts?  European scouts?

What a stupid thing to say.

relatively unknown, then. :rolleyes: Judging by your pedantic question, no player in the world is unknown since someone would know him.

BTW, it was no more stupid than your question about Golfmag's claims about Pardew. Yeah, he clearly guessed it all, didn't he?  :facepalm:

Why try and claim he is unknown?  He was an Ivory Coast international who played in the World Cup and was part of a team that won the Dutch league.  I am not suggesting the average fan would know who he was, but he was clearly a fairly well known player in football circles.

Have a read of the discussion re golfmag.  Take it slowly if you like and then get back to me.

Someone, who unlike yourself has a general grasp of irony.

After most of the crap you post in here, having the brass neck to call someone else immature demonstrates, at best a brass neck of the highest order and at worst a serious lack of self awareness.

I thought you were banned, Pie?

Specifically what are you talking about?