Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

If he creates around 3 great chances a game then I don't think it's easy to argue with his selection - no matter what he does with the rest of the time. Especially when we don't have HBA available.

He does drift out of the game but he also does things that no other player can do.

Erm, this isn't the Lauren Robert thread Ian and it's not 2002....

:bluestar:

:lol:

Looked agile and penetrative - he was the one who looked most likely to create something. He seems to have a good understanding with Sissoko and Cisse in fits and spurts. I'd like to see him get a run in the side until the end of the season to see if it can develop. He's (rightfully) had some criticism this season, based primarily on his attitude and determination, but he hasn't had a run in the team. We need a player like that in Ben Arfa's absence, because Jonas can't beat a man for shit any more.

Looked agile and penetrative - he was the one who looked most likely to create something. He seems to have a good understanding with Sissoko and Cisse in fits and spurts. I'd like to see him get a run in the side until the end of the season to see if it can develop. He's (rightfully) had some criticism this season, based primarily on his attitude and determination, but he hasn't had a run in the team. We need a player like that in Ben Arfa's absence, because Jonas can't beat a man for s*** any more.

Got back well today IMO. Cost us a corner un-necessarily but he was near the back of the making mistakes crew today. Would like to think he would start against Fulham with Sissoko and Gouffers around him. We shall see.

Move him further forward and move Sissoko deep, that's the best way to utilise both.

Yep. Sissoko proved himself to be defensively competent tonight and Marveaux is most at home in the number 10 role.

When he gets the ball, he's really good but doesnt get it nearly enough in the game.

True. Created 2-3 great moves/chances though.

Indeed, the one Cisse didn't take properly when clean through and the one that put him through for the chip. If they are not "key passes" in that stat thingy, then I don't know what is.

Since they needed defensive howlers to score, I don't think we need to be too critical of our midfielders' defensive contributions based on yesterday's game.

One thing I will say is that after the through-ball for Cisse's chip, Marv just completely stopped. None of our players were anywhere near a  challenge for the ball off the post. They had about six players in the frame of the TV pictures. Their first goal and the Krul double saves all came from their players following the ball in. One of their lads was nearly onto the one Krul spilled before we opened the scoring. If you see Cisse's first shot onto the post, Sissoko is just standing watching it as well. It was a clear difference between the teams.

A real quality footballer but just does not do anywhere near enough in a game.

2 or 3 runs and a couple of passes (all with his left anarl as if he'd got a right foot he'd have played Cisse in at 1-0 to make it 2) aren't enough. He's good neat and tidy player who can beat a couple of players with a mazy dribble but he only plays for 10 to 15 minutes a game and goes missing for the other 75.

He's much better for Cisse than anyone we've got when he's playing the no. 10 role. Don't think he'll be a regular under Pardew as he values different things in a player. Can see both side to that argument if I'm honest.

I'd like to see Marv play as our 10.  Sissoko looks great going box to box and he doesn't have the same vision as Marv.  He just gets the ball and tries to steamroll through the opposition :lol:

I don't think Sissoko is incapable of playing behind Cisse.  But in certain games, I'd like to see him deeper.

Cabaye-Sissoko

Marveaux

Is what I want to see now. It will never happen as it lacks "a tackle", but I'd love to see us try it.

Yeah, we cant beat teams by football, has to be a tackle in there at some point.  :okay:

We do need more from Marv but he should definitely start every game he's fit for.

He's the type that's always going to be in and out of games though. If he was able to maintain for 90 minutes he would be a literal world beater.

He's probably our most intelligent skilful/pacey player.  He knows when to dribble or make the right pass better than anyone in our team.

We do need more from Marv but he should definitely start every game he's fit for.

He's the type that's always going to be in and out of games though. If he was able to maintain for 90 minutes he would be a literal world beater.

He's probably our most intelligent skilful/pacey player.  He knows when to dribble or make the right pass better than anyone in our team.

Couldn't the same be argued for Hatem though?

Hatem asserts himself far better when it's going against him. Marveaux just goes missing.

In the absence of Benny Marv is the best option we have for that "bit of magic" we need, sure he its still finding his way in the Prem but he still has to start every game. We need him to be more involved though and I think a central role will give him more time on the ball.

Hatem asserts himself far better when it's going against him. Marveaux just goes missing.

True but at the same time Marveaux creates more than enough when he's in the game for him to be a worthwhile starter.

The mere fact he has double the assists of any one in the squad with so little game time says enough to me.

Really hope he gets a starting run in the team.

True but at the same time Marveaux creates more than enough when he's in the game for him to be a worthwhile starter.

The mere fact he has double the assists of any one in the squad with so little game time says enough to me.

Really hope he gets a starting run in the team.

I'd always play him in Hatem's absence, like. He's an absolute must when you look at the lack of creativity from the rest of the side.

Yes. What's your point?

He/we should look to minimise those spells but they will happen every game. Even still he creates more than any other player in our side.

I'd always play him with no Hatem too, one of the few players who may pop up and do something even when rest of team playing badly. Invaluable creative outlook even if I wish he could impose himself better

I'd always play him with no Hatem too, one of the few players who may pop up and do something even when rest of team playing badly. Invaluable creative outlook even if I wish he could impose himself better

i think Pards could give him more responsibility kinda like how he did with Ben Arfa. Big him up a bit, tell him he's our dude and he's important. When he came on against Stoke he looked more authoritative.

Yes. What's your point?

He/we should look to minimise those spells but they will happen every game. Even still he creates more than any other player in our side.

Mainly that shouldn't be a reason for Pards not to pick him really.

Most of our quality deliveries came from Marveaux, I get that he isn't the most invloved player, but he is one of the few who will run with intent and can put in a good ball. Jonas was wide in a couple of great positions a couple of times but his crosses were into empty space.