Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

How do you mean?

He's played well before and been dropped when he should have stayed in the team.

Exactly.  Someone like Obertan has been given repeated chances and blown it, to put Marveaux in the same bracket is ridiculous IMO.

If i was a manager coming off an extremely bad season, had seen in the  summer the owner appoint a DoF who described me as a 'decent bloke and a decent coach' (hardly a ringing endorsement) and i knew i had to get this season off to the best possible start because i think they want to sack me, Marveaux would not be a player i'd want to that outcome to depend on.

If i was a manager coming off an extremely bad season, had seen in the  summer the owner appoint a DoF who described me as a 'decent bloke and a decent coach' (hardly a ringing endorsement) and i knew i had to get this season off to the best possible start because i think they want to sack me, Marveaux would not be a player i'd want to that outcome to depend on.

If the other option is pretty much immediately reinstating a player who refused to play for my team and has been consistently shit for almost a whole season, I'd be inclined to give Marveaux at least a chance tbh.

We need to introduce new words for human waste product if to describe Marveaux if Cabaye has been "s***". He is a far superior player to Marveaux, has contributed much more during his time here (the same time period), and provides a level of consistent effort that Marveaux has never achieved.

We need to introduce new words for human waste product if to describe Marveaux if Cabaye has been "s***". He is a far superior player to Marveaux, has contributed much more during his time here (the same time period), and provides a level of consistent effort that Marveaux has never achieved.

Of course Cabaye has contributed more, he's played more games.  As for the difference in consistency, Cabaye has been up and down but he gets away with it, Marveaux doesn't.

Way over the top. Marveaux hasn't pulled up any trees but he's been fairly decent when he's been given a chance. It's pointless playing him out wide though, he just drifts into the middle regardless.

He had two perfect home games against West Ham/Fulham to show his worth and he blew them imo. I really do like Marv and when he started i was excited for him but he was a let down, stats might say he created chances in the games but his overall performance in both was poor, average at best and he left the burden to Ben Arfa to do something as he never looked likely himself to. Wouldn't be thinking about shifting him on however as he's still a good replacement if injuries kick in but he hasn't justified himself at all for a starting birth in this side as of yet.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Marveaux has ability but it's his attitude that does it for me. Overrated by quite a few people, doesn't look anything special & it's not like he's a young kid. I got slated on here for criticising him not too long ago.

He consistently fails to deliver & on a rare occasion plays well to get people excited, flattering to deceive. That said he's not a bad option off the bench if you can motivate him .

Immensely talented player that should see more pitch time -- if that mean he plays at the tip of a 3 man midfield when Cabaye is hurt/out, I'm all for it. If we had a manager who had the brain to instill free-role type positions for him and HBA supporting Remy, I'm all for it.

I'd honestly love for him to influence matches more and displace Cabaye as I think he's much more suited to an advanced midfield position - he's got a killer pass, excellent dribbling skills and a great left footed strike. Unfortunately he's shown less consistency and is less reliable tracking back.

I think both of those two in free roles would be asking for trouble in most games. But I do agree with Kanj, he's much more suited to the attacking midfield role than Cabaye, who doesn't have the mobility or dribling ability for it.

Fair enough on the free role suggestion. The real reason for the post is that Sylv has all the tools to be the ACM for us every week and it's a shame he doesn't grab his chances b/c he's an excellent talent.

I think people exaggerate how easy it is to not be playing and suddenly come into a game and 'take your chance'

type that in the (if there is one) obertan thread.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I think both of those two in free roles would be asking for trouble in most games. But I do agree with Kanj, he's much more suited to the attacking midfield role than Cabaye, who doesn't have the mobility or dribling ability for it.

Aye I think Cabaye is more suited to a deeper role, a regista, depending on how you like your coffee. He can certainly pick a pass - whether floating it over or curling it across low - that said I wouldn't rule him out of a more advanced role in another team but I think we favour counter attack a little too much, but yes he can pick a defence apart from deep but he can't run forward and beat men. No chance.

I think Marveaux has the attributes but he simply doesn't have the heart. You only see glimpses and to be painfully honest I'd rather see Sammy brought on than him at the moment. Sammy's problem is for all he has started to deliver he still looks like a moth trapped in a lampshade.

Edit - That's not having a go at Sammy - he's really come on - and he knows what he's doing - he just doesn't

look like it. Pretty much the reverse of Marveaux - i.e flattering to deceive...

Fair enough on the free role suggestion. The real reason for the post is that Sylv has all the tools to be the ACM for us every week and it's a shame he doesn't grab his chances b/c he's an excellent talent.

I think people exaggerate how easy it is to not be playing and suddenly come into a game and 'take your chance'

Situations like Leeds he should be running the show or putting 2-3 killer passes that we all go mad about that weren't finished or were finished into the back of the net.

Cabaye can't run onto any advanced passes into space as he's not quick enough nor does he have a good enough touch or dribbling ability to create a bit of space and get a pass or shot off.

• 3 weeks later...