Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

I would've liked to seen more of Marveaux but let's be honest about it, he was pretty average when he did get a look in. I'm not entirely sure why he's behind Obertan in the pecking order but that's about it.

Bollocks was he average all the time, he had some very good performances.

He never excelled consistently, but he showed more than enough promise. Of course no certainty he would have made it, but would have liked to have seen him given a run. Around December/January last year he was one of our top two players.

Similar to Hatem in that he can unlock defences, but very different in how he went about it. Marveaux would draw players and find a pass at just the right time, Hatem draws players and then beats them. That sort of creative player is always going to have good and bad days.

Looked a decent player to me tbh. Not the hardest working in the world (weird considering one of the video compilations before we got him made a point of showing his closing down IIRC) but a silky touch and great eye for a pass. I'd have him in the squad 100 times out of 100 ahead of the likes of Obertan.

Oh well.

I would've liked to seen more of Marveaux but let's be honest about it, he was pretty average when he did get a look in. I'm not entirely sure why he's behind Obertan in the pecking order but that's about it.

You could count them on one hand.

He was a winger who did his best work in the centre of the park, but when we played him there games passed him by. I don't know how we could accommodate him, particularly now we've got Anita and Sissoko on top of Cabaye and Tiote.

Guest firetotheworks

Looked a decent player to me tbh. Not the hardest working in the world (weird considering one of the video compilations before we got him made a point of showing his closing down IIRC) but a silky touch and great eye for a pass. I'd have him in the squad 100 times out of 100 ahead of the likes of Obertan.

Oh well.

:thup:

It's a shame, as he would've been a very handy option for any non-dinosaur manager.

Yeah I can see why a manager wouldn't want to trust him to start regularly but he would certainly have provided some options from the bench and in cup games to rotate the squad.

He was a winger who did his best work in the centre of the park, but when we played him there games passed him by. I don't know how we could accommodate him, particularly now we've got Anita and Sissoko on top of Cabaye and Tiote.

You can count the games that passed him by on one hand too, he never played.

It's a shame as he has been class at times bit it does seem difficult to find a role for him, not really a wide player, bit soft for a CM, could play behind a striker but there has normally been better options. Far less talented players seem to get in the squad purely because they have a role which suits how we might set up. You can hardly say Obertan gets in there for workrate but at least it is obvious where he can play (although atrociously).

Maybe two hands :), but then he's only made 28 appearances and plenty of those were short subs where he wouldn't have had time to produce a very good performance.

Yes some games passed him by, and he played very well in others.  Not an average player at all, just one that wasn't consistent, for a variety of reasons.

It's a shame as he has been class at times bit it does seem difficult to find a role for him, not really a wide player, bit soft for a CM, could play behind a striker but there has normally been better options. Far less talented players seem to get in the squad purely because they have a role which suits how we might set up. You can hardly say Obertan gets in there for workrate but at least it is obvious where he can play (although atrociously).

If you were struggling to open up a team or needed a goal then I would think he'd be a better option than Obertan on the bench because he can beat players and can shoot and pass much better than Obertan.

Guest bimpy474

How Pardew sees Obertan as a better option from the bench than this lad is mental. Sums Pardew up.

Doesn't graft and doesn't play the %'s so no chance just like HBA.

Yet Shola, the laziest forward in history does. Amazing really.

How Pardew sees Obertan as a better option from the bench than this lad is mental. Sums Pardew up.

Pardew is a 4-4-2 long ball man Shola nicely slots into a role in his archaic system.

Guest bimpy474

Pardew is a 4-4-2 long ball man Shola nicely slots into a role in his archaic system.

:sadnod: