Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

Technically he is amongst the best at the club. His close control and use of the ball is first class. He would have featured much more under a more attack minded manager. On a much smaller degree marveaux and Ben Arfa are in the same position Robert was under Souness.

Technically he is amongst the best at the club. His close control and use of the ball is first class. He would have featured much more under a more attack minded manager. On a much smaller degree marveaux and Ben Arfa are in the same position Robert was under Souness.

Spot on.

Guest bimpy474

Too nice a player, the fact he doesn't run and tackle like Julian Dicks means Pardew doesn't want to know.

Not much point in giving Pardew any players with a bit of flair, they'll only be on the bench. Flair players are no good for containment now are they.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not about training ground improvement. It's about Pardew preferring defensively minded players. Same reason Ben Arfa isn't playing.

Marveaux's useful in the nr. 10 role, we could do with him in home games. I think someone like Martinez would get the best out of him.

He mentions Sammy deserving just as much chance as Marv does, and i agree. However there's simply no need for Obertan to be getting on ahead of both.

Against Man City, i thought the first two subs should have been Ben Arfa/Gouffran Cabaye/Marv...would have still been able to keep hold of our formation but we could have added a couple more creative match winners to the side to unlock City. A midfielder for a striker wasn't negative but it seemed more of a desperate change for a goal than a clever one.

Marv is on a decent wage here and with his injury record and lack of first team opportunities, i think it's clear he won't be around much longer and it's a bit of a shame as i really believe he's more than good enough to have impact in our current squad if used correctly.

He mentions Sammy deserving just as much chance as Marv does, and i agree. However there's simply no need for Obertan to be getting on ahead of both.

Against Man City, i thought the first two subs should have been Ben Arfa/Gouffran Cabaye/Marv...would have still been able to keep hold of our formation but we could have added a couple more creative match winners to the side to unlock City. A midfielder for a striker wasn't negative but it seemed more of a desperate change for a goal than a clever one.

Marv is on a decent wage here and with his injury record and lack of first team opportunities, i think it's clear he won't be around much longer and it's a bit of a shame as i really believe he's more than good enough to have impact in our current squad if used correctly.

Agree entirely regarding the subs, that's my biggest beef with Pardew, he doesn't seem to have the intelligence to turn a game around during the 90. He seems to rely entirely on his week long preparation and if that goes down the pan, he's fucked.

Guest bimpy474

Agree entirely regarding the subs, that's my biggest beef with Pardew, he doesn't seem to have the intelligence to turn a game around during the 90. He seems to rely entirely on his week long preparation and if that goes down the pan, he's fucked.

Seems to, seems fucking to..........:lol:

Marveaux is so ridiculously over-rated on here. He's got flattering to deceive down to a fine art.

I duno I think people see him for what he is, a player that keeps things simple and can unlock the door, but who disappears way too often  :dontknow:

Marveaux is so ridiculously over-rated on here. He's got flattering to deceive down to a fine art.

I duno I think people see him for what he is, a player that keeps things simple and can unlock the door, but who disappears way too often  :dontknow:

Apparently disappears way too often in training too...

It's disappointing that we don't see more of him, but equally there has to be some onus on the player himself to give the manager less choice in the matter.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Played 10 last season, in a horrible period, got 1 goal and 4 assists. s****, like.

He played 22 last season matey :thup:

Guest neesy111

Played 10 last season, in a horrible period, got 1 goal and 4 assists. s****, like.

He played 22 last season matey :thup:

Think he means in the league.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Stats are stats I suppose - and obviously Marveaux is a talented player but his application, effort and spirit are some of the worst i've seen from a Newcastle player. I've expanded on that a while back in this thread.

Either way the truth will probably be somewhere in the middle but he has to get past the first level of looking like a coked up Vinnie Jones in training or whatever.

It's disappointing that we don't see more of him, but equally there has to be some onus on the player himself to give the manager less choice in the matter.

How hard do you have to train to sit on the bench?

Harder than the other players who are in contention

About as hard as he has been doing apparently.

Maybe he can stop being so irrepressibly 'but i am le tired' and one day force his way back onto the pitch. :thup:

It amazes me when people say they've seen enough of Marveaux to gather that he disappears in too many games and never makes his presence felt - if you believe ESPN's stats then he only played around 1,000 minutes in the League all last season (despite being available for selection for the vast, vast majority of games) which is the equivalent of about 11 games if you divide it by 90.  When you consider that he still managed a handful of assists and was clearly one of our top players in a good few of the games he started then I think the sample size (i.e. the time he's actually been given on the pitch for NUFC) is far too small to write him off as not good enough, particularly when you look at the contributions of other players in our squad that contributed fuck-all last year but got a comparable amount of minutes or actually a fuckload more.

It's a wonder some players can be anonymous for 45 minutes and they're relegated to the bench for the next 10 games and basically written off, whereas others can do the same for games on end and are mainstays regardless.  Assuming there isn't something fundamentally wrong with Marveaux fitness-wise then I'd back him to be a big success at his next club, if he has a manager that rates him and allows him to play and create.

He just doesn't go looking for the ball enough imo..

He's got very good control, excellent in fact, doesn't need time and space to pick a pass and has good vision and technique. Sorry to say, somewhat wasted in our team as we don't play quick, incisive passing around the opponents box and in the famed 'zone 14' progressive coaches always go on about. He would be good for teams like Liverpool/Swansea, etc.

We're a very different outfit. Rather players like him moved on for the high energy types we need to make up for our lack of tactical nous.

About as hard as he has been doing apparently.

Maybe he can stop being so irrepressibly 'but i am le tired' and one day force his way back onto the pitch. :thup:

Are people saying he doesn't try in training? Or just assumptions on here? I'd imagine Ben Arfa trains pretty hard, still sits on the bench

People have made assumptions about his attitude in the past, not to training (as we have no evidence of that, nor do we for Ben Arfa I assume), but from how he's come over in the odd reserve run out.

This is the first time to my knowledge that Pardew has actually come out intimating that if he steps it up in training he can get back in the team.

Hope he does. :thup: