Newcastle 1 - 0 Portsmouth Post match thoughts

Dave

We do better when he leaves Parker out, it's nowt to do with loads of other players being unavailable. It's to do with the better balance when Parker is out of the team.

Unfortunately Roeder has made the mistake of making Parker team captain, indicating that he's an automatic choice and is something which I remain gutted about.

Chuffed to bits, the 2nd half performance was really, really encouraging.

I'm not big Dyer fan, but the difference he's made these past few weeks is incredible. Him and Martins link up like they've played together all their lives. The way we attacked at pace reminded me of the SBR days.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Bramble was immense, Emre was mint, and the scarves are top quality :thup:

Bramble was awful in the first half. Was weak in the air and looked very slow and he was totally outshone by Taylor. But to be fair to Bramble he improved in the second half but still havent got the faith in him.

We do better when he leaves Parker out, it's nowt to do with loads of other players being unavailable. It's to do with the better balance when Parker is out of the team.

Unfortunately Roeder has made the mistake of making Parker team captain, indicating that he's an automatic choice and is something which I remain gutted about.

Not a truer word.

Nicky Butt was man of the match for me by a long stretch. He harried, he tackled, and his distribution and collectiveness in possession did not allow Pompey a sniff. With the shite luck Martins was having today, we could have paid a heavy price if Pompey were to score. Also, he kept our midfield (and Emre in particular) ticking, and moving forward.

We won today thanks to the very hard work done by Butt. We haven't seen a performance like that from the engine room this season.

Parker will not settle for the bench. IMO he should be sold if we can recoup what we paid for him.

A cracking performance today. We played some good fast, attacking stuff and looked comfortably in control.

Dyer has made a big difference and was a massive threat again today.

I thought Bramble had a particularly good game and he'd have been my Man of the Match.

Guest TheOrder

Stop praising Bramble! 15 minutes of good play isn't going to make up for 75 minutes of utter shit defending. We're just lucky that it was Portsmouth.

He had a steady game, even got praise from the lads that sit around me, and they hate him with a passion.

Stop praising Bramble! 15 minutes of good play isn't going to make up for 75 minutes of utter shit defending. We're just lucky that it was Portsmouth.

He had a steady game, even got praise from the lads that sit around me, and they hate him with a passion.

I saw more than enough in the first half to know that Titus Bramble is still Titus Bramble.

I just want him out. Stop persisting with him!

Guest TheOrder

Whatever you say mate. Solid as a rock today.

I saw more than enough in the first half to know that Titus Bramble is still Titus Bramble.

Nah, credit where credit's due, he had a good game. Now that doesn't make him a world class centre back with all his problems behind him, but I thought he had a very good, solid game today and if I think he's had a good game then I'll say so.

Was it not Portsmouth that we beat last year, at home, to get things rolling in the right direction?? 

It was a big match for Shearer, obviously, but were we still pants at that point?  I've tried to block

out much of last season as I have most of this season....

Well done to the Sib, Dyer, Emre and Martins today and a good win for the lads.  Let's keep it rolling

into Jormany and at home to Reading. 

Was it not Portsmouth that we beat last year, at home, to get things rolling in the right direction?? 

It was a big match for Shearer, obviously, but were we still pants at that point?  I've tried to block

Well done to the Sib, Dyer, Emre and Martins today and a good win for the lads.  Let's keep it rolling

First game after Souness went. Not really the same thing.

Honestly don't know how you can say that. Yes - he made one or two good challenges towards the end of the game, but it wasn't a good performance overall. He made far too many mistakes in the first half. Bad, bad decision making. I lost count of the amount of headers that he attempted, which just flew over his big bulbus skull.

Honestly don't know how you can say that. Yes - he made one or two good challenges towards the end of the game, but it wasn't a good performance overall. He made far too many mistakes in the first half. Bad, bad decision making. I lost count of the amount of headers that he attempted, which just flew over his big bulbus skull.

What a load of drivel. Yes Titus has been cack in the past but he was great today. Take the blinkers off man.

Guest TheOrder

He was excellent. If you make a poll, I'd reckon you'd be quite suprised with the number of people who rated his performances today.

Not saying he's being good for us this season, but today, he had a good game.

First game after Souness went. Not really the same thing.

Apart from the result, I suppose not, eh mate?  :thup:

What a load of drivel. Yes Titus has been cack in the past but he was great today. Take the blinkers off man.

Wouldn't normally keep going on but it's not a load of cack at all. If the chances that Titus provided to Portsmouth had been converted, we'd be saying very different things. He was lucky to have the likes of Nobby, Taylor and Ramage behind him, who all had good games.

It only took Titus 10 minutes to severely cock-up. An attempted clearance that bobbled around in the box, and when he went to clear it again, he went and jumped on the guy who actually did the job right.

I'm right about his headers aswell, absolutely no doubt. He must have jumped for about four headed clearances, and missed three of them.

And his passing was just rubbish. The amount of time he took to get rid of the ball, and the inaccuracy of them were frustrating, and you could see how angry Martins was. It wasn't good at all.

He did make one or two very tidy challnges towards the end. And credit where credit is due - they were very good saving tackles, but they aren't going to make me change my mind. The real Titus is still there and it won't go away. WE'd be much better off just getting rid.

Really needed that win today.  Glad Roeder mentioned getting a run together, obvious, but it is proving difficult.  To score a perfectly good goal, not given is not great for confidence at the moment.  Glad that we came back and won.  Will give the team a good boost for Thursday. 

First-half diagnosis?

Started very brightly, passed the ball around well but the defence was a bit shakey, got better as the game went on though.

Second-half diagnosis?

Alot better, placed with pace and pushed pompey back all the way.

Full-time diagnosis?

Good game, should build our team on pace now.

Star man for United?

Emre - Battle for everything, passed the ball well, tackled well and towards the end his piss poor set peices were imporving. Loved it when he tackled Campbell and was giving as a foul so he told the assitant ref to fuck off :lol:

Dyer, solano and martins were also good.

Worst United player?

Ramage - his first touch on easy balls is awful, for hard balls its good, whats up with that? And he hasn't improved at all with his left foot, what are they doing in training?

Opposition comment?

Looked ok, James was great.

Toon-pros?

We actually looked like a team

Toon-cons?

Didn't capatilise on our possesion and chances.

Post-match feelings?

Content.

I think coming from behind against Celta Vigo (which was quite tough after conceding so early) and

today's victory despite the Martin's incident shows that we aren't going to roll over after facing some

adversity. 

I think it's quite important to not let up against Frankfurt and keep this run going into the match with

Reading.  Which I'm sure the lads and everyone else agree's with.